The Student Room Group

Then and now grades needed for entry to top universities

What kinds of grades did you need to get onto degrees at top unis like Newcastle, UCL, Durham etc in the 70s, 80s, 90s, when A levels were still hard?
Reply 1
Entry requirements are higher than ever because of the huge increase in people applying for university places.
Original post by suirrel
Entry requirements are higher than ever because of the huge increase in people applying for university places.

Don't kid yourself, A levels were miles harder decades ago.
Reply 3
Original post by Hollywood Hogan
Don't kid yourself, A levels were miles harder decades ago.

Of course they were. :smile:
Original post by suirrel
Of course they were. :smile:

Lancaster was letting in students with grades BCE for Physics in 2002. Now they ask for A*AA/AAA!
Reply 5
What kinds of grades did you need to get onto degrees at top unis like Newcastle, UCL, Durham etc in the 70s, 80s, 90s, when A levels were still hard?

I took my A levels in 1982. Several of my contemporaries got medicine offers of CCC, with BBB being about the highest. Only Vet Science seemed to require nearly straight As. (There were no A*s, they only came in in 2010). Equally, one of my class got a place at Oxford (based on her performance in the old 7th term entrance papers) having achieved CCD at A level. Engineering at Nottingham needed BBC.
Original post by Compost
I took my A levels in 1982. Several of my contemporaries got medicine offers of CCC, with BBB being about the highest. Only Vet Science seemed to require nearly straight As. (There were no A*s, they only came in in 2010). Equally, one of my class got a place at Oxford (based on her performance in the old 7th term entrance papers) having achieved CCD at A level. Engineering at Nottingham needed BBC.

How did you prepare for A levels back then, considering how they tested your innate ability much more than just what info you have revised?
Reply 8
How did you prepare for A levels back then, considering how they tested your innate ability much more than just what info you have revised?

The exam were all at the end of 2 years (and there was no coursework). There was also much less focus on how to answer the exam technique and more on knowing about the subject. The exams were mostly 3 hours long and were spread over 2-3 weeks so the exam period was much more intense. I do remember having 15 hours of exams in 3 days.

I can't honestly remember how we prepped other than the usual stuff - making notes, doing practice questions.
nah a levels are much harder now fam old people were just dumber
My uncle got straight As when he took his a levels back in 1970

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by langlitz
My uncle got straight As when he took his a levels back in 1970

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did he end up doing?
What did he end up doing?

I think he was working for the forestry commission, he's retired now though

Quick Reply

Latest