The Student Room Group

A Level options' suitability for Medicine (Maths or Latin?)

Hi so I just wanted to ask for advice for A level options. I am currently in year 11 and I am hoping to study Medicine at university.

The subjects I am debating to take are: chemistry, Japanese, Chinese, Latin, Biology, Chemistry and Maths (statistics). The main question is between maths and Latin

Of course I must take biology and chemistry and I enjoy the both of them.

I am taking Chinese because it is my mother language. Also I plan to take Japanese because it is very similar to Chinese and I am confident I can obtain an A* grade in it.

I only have one more subject I can choose, and that is either maths or Latin. I thoroughly enjoy Latin and believe I can obtain an A* grade in it, whereas I feel indifferent towards maths and I feel the highest grade I can achieve in that is an A grade. I am only slightly above average at maths

So I am wondering how important maths is and whether I will be at a disadvantage in getting into medicine if I do not take maths.

Also I am taking general studies or EPQ because it is mandatory at my school.

Please give me any subject combinations you feel are suitable for Medicine. Thank you.

Hi thanks for some of the feedback, I was wondering whether not doing maths will also cause problems for me when taking the BMAT and UKCAT exams? Is my gcse maths knowledge sufficient to obtain a high score?
(edited 9 years ago)
You're right that doing both Biology and Chemistry makes your life much easier.

You absolutely do NOT have to do Maths. If anyone comes into this thread to tell you otherwise, I'd ask them to find OBJECTIVE evidence (and wish them good luck).

Do what you enjoy and will do well in. Luckily for you Latin ticks both of those boxes!
(edited 9 years ago)
No disadvantage in not taking maths. Take Latin, it comes up a lot in anatomy if nothing else.
You do not need to do maths, and you will not be disadvantaged in terms of admissions. Further, beyond GCSE level, maths isn't really that useful for medicine so you won't disadvantage yourself in terms of coping with the course.

However, I do believe that some Cambridge colleges (check which ones if you plan to apply) require applicants to have three science A-levels, out of biology/chemistry/physics/maths. As far as I know, every other medical school only requires two sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by steamedyaoi
Hi so I just wanted to ask for advice for A level options. I am currently in year 11 and I am hoping to study Medicine at university.

The subjects I am debating to take are: chemistry, Japanese, Chinese, Latin, Biology, Chemistry and Maths (statistics). The main question is between maths and Latin

Of course I must take biology and chemistry and I enjoy the both of them.

I am taking Chinese because it is my mother language. Also I plan to take Japanese because it is very similar to Chinese and I am confident I can obtain an A* grade in it.

I only have one more subject I can choose, and that is either maths or Latin. I thoroughly enjoy Latin and believe I can obtain an A* grade in it, whereas I feel indifferent towards maths and I feel the highest grade I can achieve in that is an A grade. I am only slightly above average at maths

So I am wondering how important maths is and whether I will be at a disadvantage in getting into medicine if I do not take maths.

Also I am taking general studies or EPQ because it is mandatory at my school.

Please give me any subject combinations you feel are suitable for Medicine. Thank you.

You will be at no disadvantage by not doing maths unless you wanted to apply to Cambridge who require 3 sciences/maths. Do latin if that is what you want to do.

Bear in mind though that if Chinese is your native language they may not consider it as one of your A-levels.
Reply 5
Hi thanks for your answer. I was born in the UK, so I'm not a native speaker. In fact Chinese requires more work for me than Japanese since it's so difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi thanks for your answer. I was born in the UK, so I'm not a native speaker. In fact Chinese requires more work for me than Japanese since it's so difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You said it was your mother language, that term is pretty much synonymous with native speaker, so that's what I was going off.

Just do whatever 2 subjects you enjoy most & are likely to get As in alongside chem and bio.

Best to quote someone when you reply, otherwise they might not see it.
Reply 7
I loved Latin at GCSE!! Considered it for A-level but didn't think I'd be able to dedicate in revising the grammar and literature side. I did love the language stuff though!

I did maths and did not enjoy it.. Do Latin! A language will look good :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by erudite
I loved Latin at GCSE!! Considered it for A-level but didn't think I'd be able to dedicate in revising the grammar and literature side. I did love the language stuff though!

I did maths and did not enjoy it.. Do Latin! A language will look good :smile:

Sorry out of interest what grade did you get at Latin gcse, and what grade did you/are predicted to get in maths A level? I am already doing 2 languages so... :tongue:
Reply 9
Sorry out of interest what grade did you get at Latin gcse, and what grade did you/are predicted to get in maths A level? I am already doing 2 languages so... :tongue:

Oops sorry didn't see that part haha!

I got an A in Latin at GCSE, I got an A* in maths at GCSE and a B at AS (and then I dropped it haha).
Original post by erudite
Oops sorry didn't see that part haha!

I got an A in Latin at GCSE, I got an A* in maths at GCSE and a B at AS (and then I dropped it haha).

Oh ok, what are your other A Level options?
Reply 11
Oh ok, what are your other A Level options?

Bio, chem and geography :smile:
Original post by erudite
Bio, chem and geography :smile:

Ahhh that's a great combination for medicine. I would take geography but I really enjoy the languages.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending