The Student Room Group

Are my A-Level choices too similar ?

Ok so I'll be choosing my A-Levels in a couple of months and I'm unsure about what to pick. I think I want to do business studies and history but I'm unsure about my last two choices. I'm considering politics and/or economics but am I closing off my options by doing 4 subjects that are so similar? In relation to future careers I'm not certain but I do think my interests would be directed towards law/marketing/politics/possibly media. At the same time I might be completely wrong? Also, I don't really have an interest in studying science or a language so I can rule them out
History, Politics and Economics is a good combination. Don't do both Business Studies and Economics though, they're too similar, so take Economics instead of Business as it's much more highly valued. English or Maths would work well with those three subjects?
It depends, what do you want to do in the future? And what kind of university are you planning to get into?
Word of advice for law, if you want to study law in university, you don't really need it. In fact the top universities may prefer it if you didn't have it. In AS i took Law, Philosophy, History, English Lit and Critical Thinking. I dropped Law in A2 because I didn't really need it, plus you would learn it all again in university anyway. Wish I did politics tho!
Reply 4
Original post by perflous
History, Politics and Economics is a good combination. Don't do both Business Studies and Economics though, they're too similar, so take Economics instead of Business as it's much more highly valued. English or Maths would work well with those three subjects?
I feel like I want to do BS because I'm predicted an A* and know I could do well at it for A Level! A lot of people have told me to do it because of how straightforward and learning based it is, whereas economics requires more understanding and has some difficult concepts! A girl I know does both and loves economics but said I should do BS because of how much 'easier' it is. I'm okay at maths but would never do it at A Level and I'm good at English but I feel like it would be a of extra reading for someone with as poor an attention span as I have haha. Aswell, I don't even know if I want to go to a Russell Group type uni so doing economics wouldn't necessarily give me better prospects than business studies right?
Reply 5
Original post by wellholathere
Word of advice for law, if you want to study law in university, you don't really need it. In fact the top universities may prefer it if you didn't have it. In AS i took Law, Philosophy, History, English Lit and Critical Thinking. I dropped Law in A2 because I didn't really need it, plus you would learn it all again in university anyway. Wish I did politics tho!
Yeah I go to school in Northern Ireland so I don't think many schools here offer law for A Level! Mine doesn't anyway! Good choices aswell
Original post by bb226
I feel like I want to do BS because I'm predicted an A* and know I could do well at it for A Level! A lot of people have told me to do it because of how straightforward and learning based it is, whereas economics requires more understanding and has some difficult concepts! A girl I know does both and loves economics but said I should do BS because of how much 'easier' it is. I'm okay at maths but would never do it at A Level and I'm good at English but I feel like it would be a of extra reading for someone with as poor an attention span as I have haha. Aswell, I don't even know if I want to go to a Russell Group type uni so doing economics wouldn't necessarily give me better prospects than business studies right?

Ultimately take what you think you'll enjoy the most, but I'd still advise against BS. An A in Business Studies, whilst obviously a good achievement, is not considered as highly as an A in Economics.

Also - with regards to English, I do English Lit (currently doing A2), and, at AS at least, there certainly isn't a huge amount of reading. At AS we studied two novels and a collection of poems. You don't have to read loads to do well - some people in my class didn't actually bother to read the books and still got B/A grades in the exam.
Reply 7
Appreciate your advice! Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest