The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Just made this TSR a account, never really used it before.

Any successful Pembroke medics? :smile:
Original post by Ros09
Yeah it looks like there's about 7/8 of us :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best of luck guys :smile:
Original post by Vodka
I've also not seen any med applicants this year that was pooled AND then rejected due to 'no other college has expressed interest in you'. So my guess is that, pooled applicants that were not fished out are all being considered for an open offers.

This seems the most logical I must say.
Original post by Vodka
I've also not seen any med applicants this year that was pooled AND then rejected due to 'no other college has expressed interest in you'. So my guess is that, pooled applicants that were not fished out are all being considered for an open offers.

Sorry if I'm misinterpreting, but this is what is making me think it's not quite been completed, I mean surely if the winter pooling had been done, some people would have been rejected from the pool, leaving some for an open offer?
Unless the way it works is that ALL those who weren't fished are pooled for an open offer, which is the thing I don't know.
Original post by TotalerReinfall
Sorry if I'm misinterpreting, but this is what is making me think it's not quite been completed, I mean surely if the winter pooling had been done, some people would have been rejected from the pool, leaving some for an open offer?
Unless the way it works is that ALL those who weren't fished are pooled for an open offer, which is the thing I don't know.

I think they just pool a whole bunch, colleges fish out who the want and then a central board decides who is worthy of an open offer from those remaining. I don't think there is a need to reject people from the pool slowly, I would assume they do it at the end after they have made open offers.
Reply 785

Your last sentence is what I was trying to say.

Winter pool period has finished. Colleges have been given the chance to fish applicants out of the pool. The remaining applicants that were not fished out of the pool are I believe are all being considered for an open offer (since I've not seen any applicants in the pool being rejected from the pool).

I think it is important to note that what we are all doing here including myself are all speculating.
Reply 786
Original post by Vodka
Your last sentence is what I was trying to say.

Winter pool period has finished. Colleges have been given the chance to fish applicants out of the pool. The remaining applicants that were not fished out of the pool are I believe are all being considered for an open offer (since I've not seen any applicants in the pool being rejected from the pool).

I think it is important to note that what we are all doing here including myself are all speculating.

I agree with what you are saying. But there seems to be many open pool candidates. On top of what you are saying, maybe the number of open pool offers will increase this year and that's why the number of direct pool offers has decreased. (I didn't see many direct pool offers given out to medics)
How many open offers were given in 2011?

edit: 6 open offers were given in 2011. This one higher than last year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Got rejected by Emmanuel :frown: only had an email, my letter hasn't arrived yet (hope to god my postman didn't put it through someone else's door like he has done on many occasions in the past :')) but I'm assuming it was a straight rejection and I wasn't pooled or anything because it didn't mention the pool in my email.

Never mind, just got to wait on other unis to get back to me now! :')
Reply 788
Original post by a123a
I agree with what you are saying. But there seems to be many open pool candidates. On top of what you are saying, maybe the number of open pool offers will increase this year and that's why the number of direct pool offers has decreased. (I didn't see many direct pool offers given out to medics)
How many open offers were given in 2011?

Only 6 were given out in 2011. TSR in my opinion isn't a good representative of the whole group of applicants. There is a possibility that the majority of direct pool offers did not post in TSR, which could explain the lack of them here. Speculating will get us nowhere, the only thing we can do now is to wait and see if Cambridge tells us anything.
Reply 789
Original post by Vodka
Only 6 were given out in 2011. TSR in my opinion isn't a good representative of the whole group of applicants. There is a possibility that the majority of direct pool offers did not post in TSR, which could explain the lack of them here. Speculating will get us nowhere, the only thing we can do now is to wait and see if Cambridge tells us anything.

Yeah that's true. But the point I was making was that the number of open offers could potentially change. They should however, get back to us sooner seeing as the pool is finished. So there will be fewer candidates to process.

Guess we just have to wait! Good luck! :smile:
Reply 790
I have only seen 2 people on TSR actually 'fished' out of the pool, but so many (inc. me) who got the 'still under consideration' letter. Given the standard of the applicants on this site it's making me think they haven't actually finished the Winter Pool for medicine, and that we're not all just being placed in the pool for open offers. Still, I don't know

This is what I initially thought, but seeing as the pool has finished its hard to believe it's still open for medics.

Good luck!
Reply 791
Guys I've just quoted the Christ admissions tutor on the main cambridge decision thread, asking if he/she knows anything about what's going on.
Reply 792
Original post by a123a
Guys I've just quoted the Christ admissions tutor on the main cambridge decision thread, asking if he/she knows anything about what's going on.

Good luck to you too. That's great if we can hear some official information, I'll be watching that thread for some answers.
Reply 793
It's official:-

Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello, sorry that you and other medics have been placed in this situation. The Medicine pool has closed, as have all other subjects, but, as Minerva said yesterday, those candidates not picked out by other colleges will be under consideration for an Open offer. There are, however, very few of these so the large majority of these people will, I am afraid, not receive an offer. It hasn't been possible, timing-wise, to hold the Open offer meeting before the posting deadline which has meant that a small number of people have been placed in this unfortunate situation. Hopefully it is something we can ensure doesn't happen in the future and I am sorry that it has had to happen to you and a small number of others.

I don't know when the meeting is (the Vet one was on Friday) but it should be this week and you will know for certain by 19th Jan at the latest.
Got an offer for Emma! Anyone else get an offer for this college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bye Cambridge
Bye Cambridge

Touché

And no tears.

http://www.rustledjimmies.com/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The_Top_Hat
Touché

And no tears.

http://www.rustledjimmies.com/

My jimmies have been rustled beyond repair
My jimmies have been rustled beyond repair

Just please don't cry sweet prince. We are all in the same dark and dank place. :frown:
My heart died a little after reading the Christ's admission tutors post

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending