The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 940
Original post by Enginerd.
Yep. Things are going gooooood! And you?

That's good man, yep going great Alhamdulillah.
In the name of Allah(swt) the most beneficient, the most merciful.

If you believe and follow Islam, you need to have proof it is from God. There are just so many ways you can support the inevitible argument that Islam is indeed from Allah swt. However, we need to go back and think about how Allah swt wants us to address this issue.

Quran: "And if you are in doubt about what We have sent down upon Our Servant [Muhammad], then produce a Surah the like thereof and call upon your witnesses other than Allah , if you should be truthful."

Even from the time of Muhammed pbuh, people tried to challenge and match the Quran. The fact Muhammed pbuh succeeded does lend some evidence that his challenge was not met - because he would easily have been countered as a lier by the arabs, who were at the peak of their linguistic powers and prided themselves on this.

The Quran is matchless not only in language, but depth, meaning , reach, historical statements, prophecies, morals, refereal to scriptures, and (not to say there are 'scientific miracles') but verses of natural phenomenon, when translated within the limited scope of the arabic language, suggest profoundly accurate statements.

However , let me focus on the language, because this is the primary challenge to the arabs. You might feel as though muslims naturally would have some sort of 'bias' (this itself is false, because we can objectively deduce the superiority of the Quran and explain it), but never the less, here are the words of Non-muslims.

Here are the words of Non-Muslims about the Quran(including translators):

"From the literary point of view, the Koran is regarded as a specimen of the purest Arabic...It has been said that in some cases grammarians have adopted their rules to agree with certain phr ases and expressions used in it, and that though several attempts have been made to produce a work equal to it as far as elegant writing is concerned, none has as yet ucceeded"
F.F. Arbuthnot, The Construction of the Bible and the Koran, London 1885, p5

It is confessedly the standard of the Arabic tongue... The style of the Koran is generally beautiful and fluent... and in many places, especially where the majesty and attributes of God are described, sublime and magnificent ... He succeeded so well, and so strangely captivated the minds of his audience, that several of his opponents thought it the effect of witchcraft and enchantment.
George Sale, The Koran: The Preliminaiy Discourse, London, 1891, p47 48

The truth is I do not find any understanding author who controverts the elegance of the Al Qur'an, it being generally esteemed as the standard of the Arabic language and eloquence.
Dr. Hency Stubbe MA, Rise and Progress of Mohammadanism, London 1911, p158

All those who are acquainted with the Qur'an in Arabic agree in praising the beauty of this religious book; its grandeur of form is so sublime that no translation into any European language can allow us to appreciate it.
Edward Montet, Traduction Francaise du Coran, Paris 1929, Introduction p25

Briefly, the rhetoric and rhythm of the Arabic of the Koran are so characteristic, so powerful, so highly emotive, that any version whatsoever is bound in the nature of things to be but a poor copy of the glittering splendour of the original... My chief reason for offering this new version of a book which has been "translated" many times already is that in no prev ious rendering has a serious attempt been made to imitate, however imperfectly, those rhetorical and rhythmical patterns which are the glory and the sublimity of the Koran.
The Koran Interpreted by Arthur J. Arberry, London 1980, Preface p24 25
NOTE: A.J Arberry, the British Orientalist, was professor of Arabic at Oxford University

The Koran is the earliest and by far the finest work of Classical Arabic prose... It is acknowledged that the Koran is not only one of the most influential books of prophetic literature but also a literary masterpiece in its own right... translations have, in my opinion, practically failed to convey both the meaning and the rhetorical grandeur of the original.
The Koran Translated with Notes by N. J. Dawood, 5th Edition 1990, pp1,3
NOTE: Nessim Joseph Dawood is a Jewish Iraqi Scholar

Indeed, throughout history, many Arab Christians as well have regarded it as the perfection of Arabic language and literature.
John L. Esposito, Islam: The Straight Path, Oxford University Press, 1991, p21
NOTE: This author is Professor of Religion at the College of the Holy Cross
True believers always have two things on their lips: silence & a smile. Smile to solve the problems & silence to avoid the problems.
Original post by Tawheed
[]

Why not just use the #WhoIsMuhammad tag?
Reply 945
In reply to one of the Qs in the d&d thread, didn't someone like Umar ra or someone stop slavery? I'd google but Internet is being annoying
Original post by Mary562
I feel so happy never had so much reps in my life :happy2:

Can't rep you anymore:frown:
Original post by Ibn Fulaan
Why not just use the #WhoIsMuhammad tag?

Ofcourse, i've promoted that one the most.

Some good news brother!

Check this:

Original post by Al-farhan
Can't rep you anymore:frown:

It's okay no probs. Saying that is just enough :smile:
The likeness of this dunya is that of a snake: soft to the touch, it will kill you with its poison. So turn away from what impresses you of it, since what stays with you is so little. And do not be concerned about it, since you are certain about its parting. And be most happy in it when you are most heedful of it; for every time its companion takes solace in one of its delights, it gives way to one of its woes. -Ali
Narrated Abu Huraira (RA):
The Prophet (PBUH) said, "Faith (Belief) consists of more than sixty branches (i.e. parts). And Haya (This term "Haya" covers a large number of concepts which are to be taken together; amongst them are self respect, modesty, bashfulness, and scruple, etc.) is a part of faith." [Bukhari :: Book 1 :: Volume 2 :...: Hadith 8]
“Only those are the believers who have believed in Allah and His Messenger, and afterward doubt not but strive with their wealth and their lives for the cause of Allah...”[The Qur'an 49: 15]

Subhanallah isn't this what we do........''When trouble touches a man he cries unto Us (in all postures) lying down on his side or sitting or standing. But when We have solved his trouble he passes on his way as if he had never cried to Us for a trouble that touched him! Thus do the deeds of transgressors seem fair in ...their eyes!Quran (10:12).''Among men is he who worships Allah, while remaining on the borderline; if any good befalls him, he is satisfied; but if a trial afflicts him, he utterly turns away. He will incur loss both of this world and the Hereafter. That indeed is a clear loss. Quran(21:11)
Reply 952

Spoiler

Kitab Al Kafi- Volume 2 - Silence and preservation of tongue

1827–5. From him (–) al-Haytham ibn Abī Masrūq (–) Hishãm ibn Sãlim that Abū ‘Abdillãh (‘a.s.) said:

"The Messenger of Allãh (ṣ.a.‘a.w.a.w.s.) said to a man who came to visit him: 'Shall I not direct you to something by which Allãh will make
you enter Paradise?' He said: 'Yes indeed, O Messenger of Allãh!' He [ṣ.a.‘a.w.-a.w.s.] said: 'Grant what Allãh has granted you.' He said: 'What,
if I am in need of that than to whom I have to grant?' He [ṣ.a.‘a.w.a.w.s.] said: 'Then help the oppressed one.' He said: 'Then what (should I do) if I am unable (weak) to offer help?' Then do something for a foolish person i.e., guide him (to right path).' He said: 'What, if I am more foolish than the
one whom I want to guide?' Then (in that case) hold your tongue except for good works. Does this not please you to have one of these attributes in you which will lead you to Paradise?'
Hasan- Graded by Alama Majlisi
Original post by Tpos

Spoiler

Spoiler

Books on Seerah (The Life of the Prophet

The Sealed Nectar (al-Raheeq al-Makhtoom) by Shaykh Saif ur Rahman al-Mubarakpuri
Muhammad by Martin Lings
The Noble Life of the Prophet by Shaykh Doctor Ali al-Salabee
Muhammad: the Last Prophet: A Model for all Time by Shaykh Sayyed Abul Hasan Ali Nadwi
Muhammad: Man and Prophet by Adil Salahi
The Life of Muhammad : A Translation of Ibn Ishaq's Sirat Rasul Allah by A. Guillame
Muhammad : The Ideal Prophet : A Historical, Practical, Perfect Model for Humanity by Shaykh Sayyed Nadwi
Short Biography of The Prophet and His Ten Companions by Abdul Ghani al-Maqdisi
Life of the Messenger by Imam al-Nawawi
The Life of the Prophet Muhammad: English translation of Ibn Kathir's Al Sirah Al Nabawiyya
A Mercy to Humanity by Shaykh Dr. 'Aid al-Qarni
In the Company of the Prophet: God's Chosen Messenger by Shaykh Dr. Salman al-Oadah
The life and times of Muhammad by Sir John Glubb
Muhammad: A very short introduction by Jonathan AC Brown
The Global Messenger by Umm Muhammad
Footsteps of the Prophet - Tariq Ramadan
Atlas on the Prophet's Biography by Dr. Shawqi Abu Khalil
The Prophet Muhammad A Role Model for Muslim Minorities - Maulana Yaseen Mazhar Siddiqi Nadwi.

Shamail al Tirmidhi - The Compendium of Prophetic Beauty A translation & commentary of Imam al-Tirmidhi’s
al-Shamail al-Muhammadiyya - Translated by Muhammad Danyaal
A Portrait of the Prophet As Seen by His Contemporaries Ash-Shama’il al-Muhammadiyya By Imam Muhammad ibn 'Isa at-Tirmidhi Translated by Muhtar Holland
Ash-Shifa by Qadi Iyyad - MUHAMMAD MESSENGER OF ALLAH
Kitab Ash-shifa bi tarif huqub al-Mustafa, (Healing by the recognition of the Rights of the Chosen One), By Qadi 'Iyad Ibn Musa al- Yashubi Translated by Aisha Abdarrahman Bewley
Muhammad as if you can see him - by Shaykh Doctor Aa'id al-Qarni
Our Master Muhammad: The Messenger of Allah His Sublime Character and Exalted Attributes" 2 Volumes by 'Abdallah Sirajuddin al-Husayni translated by Khalid Williams.
Al Adab al Mufrad: Imam Bukhari A Code for Everyday Living, By Imam Abu Abdullah Muhammad bin Ismail Al-Bukhari
Introduction and Partial Revision by Dr M M Azami
Bidayat as-sul fi Tafdil ar-Rasul - The Beginning Of The Quest Of The High Esteem Of The Messenger by Sultan al-Ulama 'Izz ibn 'Abd al-Salam Translated By Aisha Bewley
Muhammad His Character and Conduct By Adil Salahi

Virtues Of The Prophet Revealed In The Quran. A Chapter from Imaam Al-Asbahaani's 'Dalaailil Nubuwwa' Al-Hafiz Abu Nu'aym Al-Asbahani (430 AH) Translated in English by Sameh Strauch
Proofs Of Prophethood by Shaykh Abdel Haleem Mahmoud
(edited 9 years ago)
I think this bears repeating.

"I argued with a scholar and won. I argued with an ignorant man and lost." Imām al-Shāf'i
Books on the Sahaaba

Khalid Ibn Waleed: The Sword of Allah by A.I. Akram
Hayatus Sahaaba by M. I. Yusuf
Abu Bakr: Life and Times by Shaykh Doctor Ali al-Salaabee
Uthmaan: Life and Times by Shaykh Doctor Ali al-Salaabee
Umar: Life and Times by Shaykh Doctor Ali al-Salaabee
Ali: Life and Times by Shaykh Doctor Ali al-Salaabee
al-Hassan: Life and Times by Shaykh Doctor Ali al-Salaabee
Commanders of the Muslim Armies
Men Around the Messenger by Khalid Muhammad Khalid
Companions of the Prophet by Abdul Wahid Hamid
Heroes of Islam
Child Companions around the Prophet
Al Farooq by Prof. Shibli Numani
The Lives Of The Sahabah by Maulana Muhammad Yusuf Khandalwi
Al-Hasan & Al Hussein `The Two Grandsons of the Messenger of Allah by Mohammad Redha
Khabbab Bin AI-Aratt The Teacher by Abdul Basit Ahmad
The Successors Of The Messenger by Khalid Muhammad Khalid
Men & Women around the Messenger by Sa'd Yusuf Abu Aziz
Great Women of Islam
Women Around The Messenger
(edited 9 years ago)
He taught us to be giving & forgiving. Many who waged war against him later fell in love with his compassion. #WhoIsMuhammad
The man that taught us to check if our neighbours have food, before we have food. #WhoIsMuhammed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending