The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paradoxicalme
Hey smart people :tongue: Any advice for me?

I had this with an English teacher once. She was a sort of hybrid between a cow and a lizard, but just remember a couple of things:

Just because s/he's a teacher, it doesn't me s/he's God. It's literally impossible for there to be any negative repercussions from just confronting them about it, even if it might sour your relationship with them. They can't give you any spiteful predicted grades or anything because that crap is all over and you've got an offer from Cambridge. If they make a snippy comment or something, just go up to them at the end of a lesson or find them in your lunch break or something and be like 'I don't think what you said this morning was acceptable'. You could email them and cc your head of year/form tutor or the relevant person, but I'd only do that after talking to them in person and if it still continues because in my experience it's the equivalent of a nuclear bomb in school/office politics.

Some teachers are nice, and others not so much. I still keep in touch with loads of my old teachers who were really nice and two or three sent me congrats emails when they heard I got my offer, but it's best to discard the nasty ones from your life like old newspapers.
Original post by bored565
I had this with an English teacher once. She was a sort of hybrid between a cow and a lizard, but just remember a couple of things:

Just because s/he's a teacher, it doesn't me s/he's God. It's literally impossible for there to be any negative repercussions from just confronting them about it, even if it might sour your relationship with them. They can't give you any spiteful predicted grades or anything because that crap is all over and you've got an offer from Cambridge. If they make a snippy comment or something, just go up to them at the end of a lesson or find them in your lunch break or something and be like 'I don't think what you said this morning was acceptable'. You could email them and cc your head of year/form tutor or the relevant person, but I'd only do that after talking to them in person and if it still continues because in my experience it's the equivalent of a nuclear bomb in school/office politics.

Some teachers are nice, and others not so much. I still keep in touch with loads of my old teachers who were really nice and two or three sent me congrats emails when they heard I got my offer, but it's best to discard the nasty ones from your life like old newspapers.

:biggrin: I like your descriptor.

Sometimes I legitimately just have to sit there like 'they're a human, they're made out of carbon and squishy things, they can't hurt you'. My problem with said person is that they are so blatantly unprofessional that I just end up too shocked to actually reply, whereas with any of my other teachers I would either make a sarcastic comment or go up to them at the end of the lesson - but here I know they would not respond civilly and that they would try and make out that the comment was my fault. I've spoken to them once and got quite emotional (long story short - they teach a subject I love and they've done a lot for me in the past so when I see how bad it's become I keep blaming myself for it) and they said a certain thing I was doing annoyed them. I stopped it. Did anything change? After the first couple weeks, no.

I just want to sit in their lessons, get the grade I need for Cambridge and get the hell out of there, but it's miserable that a subject I was for a time considering doing at university has turned into me sitting there dreading another humiliation...

Thank you. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

I just want to sit in their lessons, get the grade I need for Cambridge and get the hell out of there, but it's miserable that a subject I was for a time considering doing at university has turned into me sitting there dreading another humiliation...

Thank you. :smile:

Is your offer A* in English?
Hey smart people :tongue: Any advice for me?

A teacher's been making my life a misery over the last few months - it's not constant (maybe once every couple weeks? but it's escalated) but they do their best to belittle me, make me cry in front of my classmates, imply I'm arrogant a lot, and I'm talking really blatantly nasty comments in front of my entire class. I've always really liked this teacher but I shouldn't have to take this **** just because they've suddenly decided they don't like me - I ask a lot of questions in class usually (nobody else speaks!) and I'm good at the subject but now I'm always scared to talk. They've never apologised even when their comments are utterly unwarranted, and if I said this kind of **** to them I would be dead by now! I want to go to my head of year, but I'm worried they won't believe me or I'll get too upset and not sound credible...

:console:

I don't know if you're the kind of person who can do what I'll suggest, but I think mouthing off back to her might shut her up.

Like just one line telling her that she's a miserable old cow, and seems to have nothing better to do than make you feel like ****.

And then she'll send you out or something, and then you explain your situation to someone higher up.
Original post by L'Evil Fish

I don't know if you're the kind of person who can do what I'll suggest, but I think mouthing off back to her might shut her up.

Like just one line telling her that she's a miserable old cow, and seems to have nothing better to do than make you feel like ****.

And then she'll send you out or something, and then you explain your situation to someone higher up.

Yeah. Its not like your school would kick a cambridge offer holder out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sarcasm?

bit yeah , i would do this honestly. My physics teacher used to make little comments, not as extreme as this. But i just swore at him a few times and walked out of his lesson a few times and he doesnt say nothing anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sarcasm?

na im being serious bro. She/he can say whatever they want really. well not anything but you get what i mean. Like, i can not go to any lessons at all and my head will not say anything. Nor will my teachers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pbviously unless there are loads of oxbridge offer holders lol. That makes it a bit less leniant i guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
na im being serious bro. She/he can say whatever they want really. well not anything but you get what i mean. Like, i can not go to any lessons at all and my head will not say anything. Nor will my teachers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol life's good ay
Plus if you rage successfully, you will feel good.
Lol life's good ay
Plus if you rage successfully, you will feel good.

Yh. Also when paradoxicalme or whatever his name is lol, if you get angry in front of her and just swear at her she will see what she has done. and then i would just list out all the things she has said to you and then say. Youve said all these f*cking things and you dont expect me to be f*cking angry? She will probably reaise what she is doin then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwepoizxcmnb
Yes, I got an offer for Maths, 1,1 in STEP II and III. STEP has got easier for me as well but still not sure about STEP III :s

It's definitely going to be a lot of work for all of us! I did A-level Maths early too, but I'm still missing a lot of knowledge from Further Maths, so some of STEP III seems like it's written in a foreign language or something.

I think I'm going to start visiting the TSR STEP thread now, to start practising more.

Also how do you write so fast :tongue:

My son has an offer from Churchill for Maths and has been asked for S / S in STEP II & III (plus an A* in Further Maths) => can you direct me to the TSR STEP thread. Is there anyone else out there who has been asked for an S in 1 or both papers ?
Original post by BrainDrain
Ok thanks if anyone else knows would love to find out

From http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/docs/student_conference_teacher_forum_presentation.pdf (PDF - page 8)

Of all 2011-12 Offerholders offering 3 or more A-Levels the following A*s were achieved
0 A* : 6.8%
1 A* : 16.2%
2 A* : 23.0%
3 A* : 27.1%
4 A* : 22.4%
5 A* : 4.7%
6+A* : 0.3%

Average: 2.56 A*
% Achieving 3+ A* : 54.5%
From @BeCambridge on Twitter
"Congratulations to successful #Cambridge applicants! Here is what to expect in your first 48 hours at @Cambridge_Uni. youtu.be/08jfdjWLvpk"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08jfdjWLvpk
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jneill
From http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/docs/student_conference_teacher_forum_presentation.pdf (PDF - page 8)

Of all 2011-12 Offerholders offering 3 or more A-Levels the following A*s were achieved
0 A* : 6.8%
1 A* : 16.2%
2 A* : 23.0%
3 A* : 27.1%
4 A* : 22.4%
5 A* : 4.7%
6+A* : 0.3%

Average: 2.56 A*
% Achieving 3+ A* : 54.5%

May thanks for this interesting link.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Is your offer A* in English?

Nope :biggrin: A in English. But this isn't my English teacher. :smile:
Original post by elskerlivet
Anyone else pooled to Newnham?

Yup I have an offer for NatSci there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by trinidad8
My son has an offer from Churchill for Maths and has been asked for S / S in STEP II & III (plus an A* in Further Maths) => can you direct me to the TSR STEP thread. Is there anyone else out there who has been asked for an S in 1 or both papers ?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2807407

I can't really do it, though - I need to get the right grade in their subject! I just want a quiet life, but they still don't recognise that they've done anything wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True :tongue: but I'm not going to be a Cambridge student unless I get an A in this subject at least.

bit yeah , i would do this honestly. My physics teacher used to make little comments, not as extreme as this. But i just swore at him a few times and walked out of his lesson a few times and he doesnt say nothing anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be amazing :biggrin: unfortunately the senior management team would have my ass on a barbecue if I swore at them

Yh. Also when paradoxicalme or whatever his name is lol, if you get angry in front of her and just swear at her she will see what she has done. and then i would just list out all the things she has said to you and then say. Youve said all these f*cking things and you dont expect me to be f*cking angry? She will probably reaise what she is doin then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Her name! :tongue:
Spoke to them today. They haven't recognised that they're doing anything wrong and they've sort of pinned the blame on me but we have discussed things they can do to help. I guess that's the best I can hope for. If I swore at them I'd get suspended.
I can't really do it, though - I need to get the right grade in their subject! I just want a quiet life, but they still don't recognise that they've done anything wrong.

True :tongue: but I'm not going to be a Cambridge student unless I get an A in this subject at least.

That would be amazing :biggrin: unfortunately the senior management team would have my ass on a barbecue if I swore at them

Her name! :tongue:
Spoke to them today. They haven't recognised that they're doing anything wrong and they've sort of pinned the blame on me but we have discussed things they can do to help. I guess that's the best I can hope for. If I swore at them I'd get suspended.

you would get suspended ?!!! damn, strict school or is my school just odd.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending