The Student Room Group

House Parties

Hi i am going to throw a house party soon but ive got some questions:

1 how do I deal with uninvited guests? people are inevitably going to decide to invite themselves, what should I do? should I let them in or try to turn them around?

2 how can i make sure they stay downstairs and in the garden, avoiding upstairs?

3 is it a good idea to move appliances? for example i have a massive tv downstairs and im worried it might get smashed

cheers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1. Fight them
2. Fight them
3. Your stuff will get smashed. Fight anyone who breaks anything.
Basically, put an ad on gumtree asking for a big black nigerian security guard needed for one evening.
Reply 3
Your parents' place or your student digs or somewhere else?
Original post by tomov
1. Fight them
2. Fight them
3. Your stuff will get smashed. Fight anyone who breaks anything.

lmao.

OP I would think veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long and hard about having a house party.

1) Do not let uninvited people in. ONLY invite friends/people you know won't wreck your house.
2) You can't. But you could lock all the doors upstairs if you have keys for the rooms?
3) Put ALL expensive items out of harms way - as above if you have rooms that you can lock up then store all items in those rooms.
Original post by temporary_user

1 how do I deal with uninvited guests? people are inevitably going to decide to invite themselves, what should I do? should I let them in or try to turn them around?

2 how can i make sure they stay downstairs and in the garden, avoiding upstairs?

3 is it a good idea to move appliances? for example i have a massive tv downstairs and im worried it might get smashed

cheers

It's only a problem if you invite the wrong people. Just invite those that you know won't bring an entourage with them and make it clear that you don't want anyone to go around telling everybody what they're doing at the weekend.

Once all your invited guests are in you can always lock the front door and just let people out when they want to go home if you're that concerned. :tongue:

cheers

Project x all over again
Definitely advertise it on facebook.
Reply 8
1. Tell them it is invite only, keep the door locked, and if all else fails tell them to bugger off. If you create a hostile atmosphere when they turn up chances are they won't want to stay, get your friends to back you up. But so long as you keep the numbers at a reasonable level and only invite mates you trust it shouldn't really be an issue.
2. Ask them not to go upstairs, ask your close mates to keep an eye out for anyone going upstairs, go upstairs yourself occasionally to make sure no one is up there.
3. It depends on what your mates are like when they are pissed. If they have a tendency to break things then I would move the TV, or better yet not invite them.
OP:

Generally speaking, it depends on the type of people you are inviting. I'm not convinced that I have ever been to a house party where only people directly invited showed up and - for the most part - people were not turned away. Sometimes there was a token effort in that direction but it rarely, if ever, concluded with people not coming in - especially if they are friends of friends.

People will always try to go absolutely anywhere they can find to try to be alone with someone. This is just par for the course when throwing a house party. As said above, you have to either 1) rigorously police these areas to the detriment of your enjoyment, 2) lock the doors if you are able to or 3) accept it will happen, let it happen and then move on.

I would move anything expensive and easily knocked - yes.
1) Make it very clear when you invite you that they MUST ask if they want to bring a +1 and keep an eye on the door
2) Just put a chair/board something on the stairs blocking them and put a sign on saying not to go there or no entry
3) Move expensive items upstairs - it's not worth the risk of things being broke

And have fun!
Even some of the advice here that you may find stupid works, having been to many and hosting one or two I can say that sometimes being aggressive works. Many a time people come whom aren't invited, the wonders of social media ey? Most who come uninvited often cause trouble but I've made a friend or two that randomly came, all I can say is if randoms turn up speak to them personally about the rules, wish them a good time, once you've been nice they'll most often respect you a lot more and thus they would be more sensible, but for those who fail to listen simply through them out, and that means literally grab them by the scruff and throw them, worked in the past also shows you're not going to **** about. It's important to mention I live in a rough area so most of them aren't civil so being aggressive works. If you're from an upper class background and only upperclass people would be coming I wouldn't be to worried as they're brought up with a lot more manners. What I've said will probably seem some massive bull****, but honestly it works, if you're want to take the more subtle approach as previously stated, lock rooms and door, move valuables, enjoy the party, give me the address and I may even come myself :wink: anyway, enjoy the night and don't let to many things get you down, goodluck OP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Firstly, if you're making an event for it on Facebook, make sure it's secret, so people can only see it if you have invited them, and they won't be able to add anyone else to the group.

Next, only invite people who you trust not to bring people with them. Write on the group that it is invite only, so you're sure. If there is someone who they want to bring, like partners or something, tell them you will have to add them to the group.

Tbh, if you are having a party, even if it's just with your closet friends, you have to be able to accept that things might get messy and broken. You won't be able to stop people from going upstairs, nor will you be able to stop people from making a mess or breaking things if they get drunk. Although your friends might be careful, drink kind of negates that mindset, so you just have to be prepared to clean up afterwards really! If you're so uptight about things getting messy then I'd seriously consider just going out somewhere.

(I would NEVER have a house party, by the way. Even when I invite my small group of close friends on their own, there are always drinks spilled. Usually on the lightest carpet!)
Thanks for all the help, I would rep but my Zero rep is useless to you guys
Reply 14
Thanks for all the help, I would rep but my Zero rep is useless to you guys
The system tells me your rep is worth +1.
If you don't have an older brother/sister I fear for you.
Original post by Hody421
If you don't have an older brother/sister I fear for you.

Why
Original post by Stefano93
Basically, put an ad on gumtree asking for a big black nigerian security guard needed for one evening.

Looooool
Be afraid. Be very afraid.

A young persons brain is wired for risk. remove inhibition with alcohol and the recipe for a nightmare is an off-licence or supermarket away.

Less socially adept teens will take a social compensation approach - and go wild.

A collection of horror stories:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2245796/Facebook-party--30k-trail-destruction-800-descend-Billericay-home-girl-14.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/7291613/Family-home-trashed-after-Facebook-party-goes-wrong.html

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/stockport-heaton-moor-party-instagram-7178851

http://www.mydaily.co.uk/2014/05/06/this-teenager-proves-how-throwing-a-house-party-can-easily-go-wrong/

Get good insurance. Good luck!

cheers

1) Invite only and only invite decent people - not dickheads. If you're really concerned, ask around and see if any of your friends knows anyone who's a door supervisor that you can borrow for the evening.

2) If you only invite decent people, then this shouldn't be difficult - you say where's off limits and they'll stick to it, but again, if you're expecting it to get rowdy, then a door supervisor is a good shout again - they can just hang in the hallway and manage the door and the staircase.

3) Anything valuable should be moved out of harms way. A garage or an attic are ideal, but bedrooms are good places to store these things if you're looking to keep people on the ground floor.

Pro tip: make sure you have the details for a good cleaner handy for the morning after and make sure that you're considerate to your neighbours - you'll look like a right charlie if the council or the Police come round to break it up when the party's in full swing.

Source: have run house parties.

Quick Reply

Latest