The Student Room Group

Do expired passports work as ID?

I'm 18 today and trying to figure out what I can use as I'd and not? :frown: I have a passport that expired in like June this year ?
Original post by Jessicaloo4
I'm 18 today and trying to figure out what I can use as I'd and not? :frown: I have a passport that expired in like June this year ?

Cmon the answer should be fairly obvious.
Reply 2
My cousin took out an expired passport on my birthday.
At some places we went out they told her she shouldn't really take it out because it's expired but they let her in anyway and other places didn't even notice.
So really it's up to you if you want to take the risk. I don't know about you but if the picture still looks like you, I'm the type of person who would ask the bouncer whether an expiration date changes the fact that I'm still the person in the passport picture in the hope that it would make them feel silly and let me in haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I've used one in pubs and shops with no problem; clubs might be stricter though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Jessicaloo4

Sometimes yes, mostly no. Most bars I've tried an expired passport with accept it, newsagents probably will. But big supermarkets like ASDA or Tesco will not. If the passport is a recent photo, it should work in most bars and clubs.
Reply 5
It's down to the discretion on wherever you choose to go.
In my opinion it is still a valid proof of age.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by TimbukChu
Sometimes yes, mostly no. Most bars I've tried an expired passport with accept it, newsagents probably will. But big supermarkets like ASDA or Tesco will not. If the passport is a recent photo, it should work in most bars and clubs.

Ive used mine in Asda and it was excepted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Baloney
It's down to the discretion on wherever you choose to go.
In my opinion it is still a valid proof of age.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not valid. It's expired.

That then means people are more likely to lend it to friends as they won't care if it gets lost. Also, people getting IDed will be young. They've therefore had a passport photo taken when they were 10 or so and will have changed quite a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Juno

That then means people are more likely to lend it to friends as they won't care if it gets lost. Also, people getting IDed will be young. They've therefore had a passport photo taken when they were 10 or so and will have changed quite a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right, hence why it's down the the discretion of wherever it is you want to use it.

It's still valid in terms of the fact that the D.O.B is legit, thus it still serves the purpose of what O.P would want to use it for. Obviously it's expired for its initial purpose, which is to travel.

Like you say though, it is likely the picture will be out of touch with reality, but that would be for the venue or whoever to decide.

Obviously it's a risk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno

Posted from TSR Mobile

Children's passports only last 5 years, I suppose for that reason, so the photo wouldn't be that old - admittedly this doesn't make it valid either.

I doubt if you're going out or to a supermarket they would be particularly strict about the expiry date, from my experience they only seem to look at the date of birth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending