The Student Room Group

Camp America, AmeriCamp etc... My Suitability??

Hi okayyy, I am thinking about applying for one of the American summer camp jobs 2015. It would love to be able to do this but the only thing holding me back is my lack of skills and experience! Is there any point in me even applying - be completely honest! I am
quite physically active and go to the gym and go for runs most days of the week. I was a member of a running club for about 3 years and stopped when I was around 16/17. I am now 18. The running club included some casual coaching - looking after the kids as I was one of the eldest. I am studying English but I am considering doing a post-grad in teaching after my degree but I currently have no classroom experience. I have around thirty cousins who are younger than me so I haVe grown up looking after and being surrounded by children but I have no official evidence (like 200 hours of classroom experience or whatevz) but I geniunely do love children!. I also have some experience in drama and directing through studying Drama at a level! Sorry it's so long and thanks so much for anyone who can offer any little piece of advice at all! xxx
By the sounds of it you have a lot of experience! When I applied I had no hobbies just the usual reading and keeping active and I got placed as a general counsellor by camp leaders (much cheaper then camp America) would you consider being a lifeguard you'll be easily placed if so?

Check out my blog for details on my experience whatlodid.blogspot.com

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Do you have much experience with kids?? I started filling out my application on Camp America but it started asking for certificates and stuff so I kinda gave up! I have no lifeguard experience so I couldn't really place the lives of children in my hands lmao! Thanks for your reply!! xx ps so jealous of your camp experience in your blog looked unreal! :frown::frown::frown:
You definitely sound like you have enough experience!

A lot of them do not require or ask for direct teaching qualifications from participants, they just look for enthusiastic and passionate candidates who are happy to assist in activities or have the ability to lead basic sessions in different activities. It sounds to me like you could definitely use your fitness and running experience to your benefit here! Perhaps the best thing to do would be to ring up yourself, I have spoke to both Camp America and Camp Leaders on the phone and both were helpful and quickly cleared up and answered any queries that I had.

I am attending a recruitment fair this weekend and am hoping myself to get hired :smile: good luck if you do apply!
Original post by ho1996
Hi okayyy, I am thinking about applying for one of the American summer camp jobs 2015. It would love to be able to do this but the only thing holding me back is my lack of skills and experience! Is there any point in me even applying - be completely honest! I am
quite physically active and go to the gym and go for runs most days of the week. I was a member of a running club for about 3 years and stopped when I was around 16/17. I am now 18. The running club included some casual coaching - looking after the kids as I was one of the eldest. I am studying English but I am considering doing a post-grad in teaching after my degree but I currently have no classroom experience. I have around thirty cousins who are younger than me so I haVe grown up looking after and being surrounded by children but I have no official evidence (like 200 hours of classroom experience or whatevz) but I geniunely do love children!. I also have some experience in drama and directing through studying Drama at a level! Sorry it's so long and thanks so much for anyone who can offer any little piece of advice at all! xxx

Can we help at all?

It's always a little daunting when thinking do you have what it takes, but we work with people individually to help them get the most out of their application. Sometimes us Brits are not as confident about ourselves as we should be.

Happy to chat on the phone if it helps - 0161 312 3640 or email us at [email protected] or speak to us here on the amazing Student Room!

Much Love and #FreeBiscuits

AmeriCamp x

Quick Reply

Latest