The Student Room Group

Dropped out and reapplied - help????

I was at Glasgow uni studying Psychology last year, but got extreme depression whilst there and dropped out. I left before November, so my funding shouldn't be affected.

I'm worried though. I reapplied this year but I used the same personal statement, didn't update it because I didn't really have anything to add. I never mentioned being at uni the previous year. Was this a mistake?

I got 5 unconditionals last year, but I had predicted grades of A's for Higher Psychology and Advanced Higher English. But in the exams I got a D and a C.

Could this affect my chances of getting in since I failed it at school? And since I didn't have any work experience to add?? (was still dealing with depression at the time of applying.) Or am I overthinking and should just relax since i got all offers last year?? Please help!!
Original post by schoolgirl1234
I was at Glasgow uni studying Psychology last year, but got extreme depression whilst there and dropped out. I left before November, so my funding shouldn't be affected.

I'm worried though. I reapplied this year but I used the same personal statement, didn't update it because I didn't really have anything to add. I never mentioned being at uni the previous year. Was this a mistake? Not necessarily. If you really felt you had nothing to add, then it's ok to use the same personal statement. You can't plagarise yourself so it won't cause any problems. Some unis might want to know about your plans for this year, but that won't cause them to reject you where they would have given you an offer.

I got 5 unconditionals last year, but I had predicted grades of A's for Higher Psychology and Advanced Higher English. But in the exams I got a D and a C. Obviously having a D/C instead of a predicted A will make your application weaker. I am assuming you've applied to unis asking for grades similar to those you have?

Could this affect my chances of getting in since I failed it at school? And since I didn't have any work experience to add?? (was still dealing with depression at the time of applying.) Or am I overthinking and should just relax since i got all offers last year?? Please help!!

I've made a few comments in bold. So long as you've applied to unis appropriate to your grades, you shouldn't have a problem getting offers.
On top of the above - although you don't need to mention your uni attendance in your PS you *MUST* declare all education attended from age 11 in your education section.

The only exception to that is if you attended a uni for less than 2 weeks which does not apply in your case.

It is very likely that your unis will find out that you've previously studied at university - either at application or once you enrol. If they find out then they *can* chose to reject you (or expel you) on a technicality. Ideally I'd suggest getting your referee to write to your unis to explain that you omitted this detail from your application by mistake, that you dropped out due to depression which is now under control and that you're now in a position to study at university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending