The Student Room Group

Ethnic minorities who don't learn about their culture are a disgrace?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by felamaslen
No, cultures are ideas. Some cultures have more to offer us than others. Some cultures should be abandoned completely since they are barbaric and inferior.

Associating ethnicity with culture is racism at its base level.
lol..

who determines that?
How is it disgraceful? It isn't my fault my Cameroonian parents didn't teach me much about the place. I can only speak a few words of one of the various tribes I'm descended from, I don't dress like them, I sound American, and I've only dated white girls, am I now a disgrace? You can't just label people like that without knowing them. I LOVE Cameroon, when people ask me where I'm from that's what I tell them because even though I've only been there a few times in my life I feel such a connection there. I may not speak like them but I adore pidgin English and always smile when I hear it. I don't dress traditionally but whenever I see an African friend wearing it I am overjoyed and wish I had never outgrown my traditional clothes. I may not eat all the traditional food or be able to dance like a legit African but that doesn't stop me from having a great time at African parties.

Yes, it would've been awesome if my parents had taught me more about the place and raised me in a bit more of a Cameroonian manner, but then how would I fit in where I grew up? They made a choice for me based on what they thought was best and I wouldn't have it any other way. Not learning the "culture" of our home countries (and let's face it, the culture is still pretty damn messed up in a lot of places) doesn't mean there is a disdain or hatred for it, we didn't choose to be born when and where we were, that's just life. It's no reason to look down on us like we have violated the fundamental laws of nature or something. For every African I know that tries to hide from their heritage, there are 15 I know that wish we got to experience more of it.

/Rant
Ethnic minority here who cares little about the culture my parents were brought up in. I don't give a crap if you think it is disgraceful.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr Smurf
Ethnic minority here who cares little about my parents were brought up in. I don't give a crap if you think it is disgraceful.

Good on ya! That's the way to be
Original post by Vestal Priestess
They should learn about it because it's where their parents/ancestors come from. It's their history they should take pride in it. You'd be amazed how many asian people (this includes orientals) that don't learn about their own culture and instead throw themselves into the "British culture" - whatever that is anyway - turning their back on their heritage.

Parents who don't teach their kids the value of knowing where you came from are bad parents and in my own opinions disgraceful as they betrayed their own DNA.

That statement is pathetic and racist. Your DNA does not define what your cultural upbringing and values should be.

Western culture is superior to many others in the world, and I am quite proud to say I have immersed myself in that culture and rejected the one of my forefathers. It was backwards and repulsive.
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you agree?

This is the most idiotic thing I've heard in a while. Who are you to dictate how others should live? Sit down, bitch.
I have African roots, i think it's a backward continent and want little to do with it..
Reply 47
Do you agree?

yup.

If your obviously from an ethnic heritage and I ask you what your heritage is and you say "british" i just stop talking and walk away.
Original post by hamix.forllz
lol..

who determines that?

Associating ideas with ethnicities is admitting that some races are inferior to others, since (who disagrees?) some ideas are inferior to others.
Original post by felamaslen
Associating ideas with ethnicities is admitting that some races are inferior to others, since (who disagrees?) some ideas are inferior to others.

says who? anything goes...
Original post by hamix.forllz
says who? anything goes...

Says me...
I'm white native of the England.

Somehow when you say this, it seems like English isn't your native language. :rolleyes:
Yesss.
Do you agree?

The thread title doesn't need a question mark at the end of it.
I won't respond further in this thread since the R word is still being bandied around after my last post explaining how using it will just stifle the discussion, kudos. I will not be cornered and be forced to explain how I am not a racist to the "downtrodden" PC brigade while my character is called into question. If people are not mature enough to engage in the discussion they should stop posting for their sake.
I think calling my views racist is a pathetic attempt at silencing me. I didn't call you a disgrace, see the question mark in the title. This thread is an open discussion. Using the R word to stifle discussion is despicable.

Be that as it may, it's clear which side of the debate you're on when you say that embracing the culture of your country rather than your ancestors' is a 'betrayal'. You may not have explicitly said it's a disgrace, but you have implied it strongly enough that you didn't really need to.
(edited 9 years ago)
i agree with OP, everyone should learn and appreciate their heritage (including white people) and not shun their own bloodline to fit in with their white friends, it's a disgrace. that said, everyone should also appreciate the culture and history of the country they are living in.
It just sickens me tbh. When I see a chinese person that can't read or write chinese. Or a south asian person that has no clue how to speak whatever language their own parents/ancestors speak.

Learning about cultures is incredibly interesting. When the UK one is so bland I wonder why many of you love to pander to the british one instead of your own.

No culture is bland.
i am proud to be scottish and i am extremely proud of my heritage, peoples history, my ethnic group and culture.

I am also extremely proud to be white.
They should learn about it because it's where their parents/ancestors come from. It's their history they should take pride in it. You'd be amazed how many asian people (this includes orientals) that don't learn about their own culture and instead throw themselves into the "British culture" - whatever that is anyway - turning their back on their heritage.

Parents who don't teach their kids the value of knowing where you came from are bad parents and in my own opinions disgraceful as they betrayed their own DNA.

Considering this is your opinion, don't get offended if somebody claims you can't be British.

Quick Reply

Latest