The Student Room Group

I never seem to get called good looking or intelligent, this makes me feel sad :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnharM
I'm not bashing him, I'm not saying he's this and he's that, I'm giving him constructive criticism so he can change for the better. He needs that, he needed to know the truth.

Tbf you said get a grip and sort your life out, which is difficult to go harsher than and not be banned for cyberbullying
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Tbf you said get a grip and sort your life out, which is difficult to go harsher than and not be banned for cyberbullying

it's not that harsh, sometimes it can be good advice. if I didn't get a grip and sort my life out Id probably have dropped out of uni by now and still be in the grips of severe depression.

---

I empathise OP, the only people who compliment me like that are close friends, who i know are doing to be nice and cheer me up.

but the thing is you can't rely on validation from others. I may not always be told it, but I know I'm intelligent because I prove it to myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Illegal Algebra
Wow... So much hatred and hostility! I can't believe my ears! I know it's just the Internet, but is it really so hard to be nice

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's npt lile I go out into the world.seekimg.ot but I have observed bitches prey on losers

anyway your responses on rships are usually fairly Alpha/aware
Original post by Odd socks
it's not that harsh, sometimes it can be good advice. if I didn't get a grip and sort my life out Id probably have dropped out of uni by now and still be in the grips of severe depression.

---

I empathise OP, the only people who compliment me like that are close friends, who i know are doing to be nice and cheer me up

Posted from TSR Mobile

In this case, it implies that OP's feelings.are invalid. Guy's feelings at this age are already often invalidated. Your empathy contradicts AnharM's contempt

The implication specifically is: 'I receive no compliments/flirts from.women, therefore I have no life or am failing life'

Imagine that all.yoir.friends ever said on the subject.of depression is 'get a grip.and sort your life out', even when you had taken reasonable steps to manage it
Original post by AnharM
I'm not even being harsh. I would have said it a lot earlier because I keep seeing him post these same desperate threads every week or so.

He deserves the truth, he's a Bengali like me. I wouldn't be mean to him for no reason, I want him to stop feeling sorry for himself and make changes in his life.

The fact so.many people agree with you indicates people at this age really hate the insecure. How ironic.

What changes do you propose? The implication of your comment.is if he does not receive X compliment after making Y change he has a messed up failed life
In this case, it implies that OP's feelings.are invalid. Guy's feelings at this age are already often invalidated. Your empathy contradicts AnharM's contempt

The implication specifically is: 'I receive no compliments/flirts from.women, therefore I have no life or am failing life'

Imagine that all.yoir.friends ever said on the subject.of depression is 'get a grip.and sort your life out', even when you had taken reasonable steps to manage it

it's valid to feel like that, but posting a thread about it doesn't do anything to change it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AnharM
All your threads on TSR just reeks of desperation mate...seriously get a grip and sort your life out.

Original post by L'Evil Fish
:lol: as much as I agree with your sentiments, I don't think he'll respond to that in the way you'd want.

I'm not going to feed around the bush. Like these guys, I also agree. You don't need validation from others, if you don't think highly of yourself, no one will think the same of you. When I say highly, I don't mean being arrogant etc. You need confidence and from your posts you don't seem like you have any. Why are you desperate for others to call you good looking or intelligent? I'm sure at one point in your life someone might have said it indirectly but you didn't notice? Seriously though, who gives a **** about what other people think.

It seems like I'm having a go at you (in a way I am but it's for your greater good), but I'm just putting things the way I see it. I'm sure you're a lovely person and TSR is for problems, but is this really a problem?
Learn to live with the qualities you've got. People dont go round calling me intelligent, because when it comes to geography I'm an absolute tard, doesn't mean I'm not. Stop seeking the validation of others. you'll get nowhere in life like that.
it's valid to feel like that, but posting a thread about it doesn't do anything to change it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I.e. talking about a feeling doesn't change it so one should not talk about a feeling and seek advice to manage it. I.e. stiff upper lip culture :/

I had to take back my original post because you think I was harsh to OP before, I could have led someone to SH

What do you propose then? OP does not j ow.how to.manage this feeling.
Original post by Loafing.Charizard
I'm not going to feed around the bush. Like these guys, I also agree. You don't need validation from others, if you don't think highly of yourself, no one will think the same of you. When I say highly, I don't mean being arrogant etc. You need confidence and from your posts you don't seem like you have any. Why are you desperate for others to call you good looking or intelligent? I'm sure at one point in your life someone might have said it indirectly but you didn't notice? Seriously though, who gives a **** about what other people think.

It seems like I'm having a go at you (in a way I am but it's for your greater good), but I'm just putting things the way I see it. I'm sure you're a lovely person and TSR is for problems, but is this really a problem?

This is stupid, no one thinks highly of you until you achieve greatness, liking yourself regardless of whether you achieve it or are a mediocre incel.maggot like the rest ks just being a naive special snowflake.
I.e. talking about a feeling doesn't change it so one should not talk about a feeling and seek advice to manage it. I.e. stiff upper lip culture :/

I had to take back my original post because you think I was harsh to OP before, I could have led someone to SH

What do you propose then? OP does not j ow.how to.manage this feeling.

he needs to learn to validate himself and not constantly seek validation from others, particularly strangers.

take intelligence. if I want to feel intelligent, I look at all the things I've accomplished. I look at these things and I can say to myself 'yes, I am intelligent'. this means a lot more than some stranger telling me I'm intelligent.

I never said you were harsh? your posts are confusing tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
he needs to learn to validate himself and not constantly seek validation from others, particularly strangers.

take intelligence. if I want to feel intelligent, I look at all the things I've accomplished. I look at these things and I can say to myself 'yes, I am intelligent'. this means a lot more than some stranger telling me I'm intelligent.

I never said you were harsh? your posts are confusing tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

People delude themselves that they're better than tbey are all the time for ego and self esteem preservation.

You didn't, some other guy did, I mentioned someone told me to kill myself in the past while laughing anf how perhapd tbat is my fault for being a maghot which is what jnspored me i to my self improvement splurge which came to a crashing halt in 2010
People delude themselves that they're better than tbey are all the time for ego and self esteem preservation.

You didn't, some other guy did, I mentioned someone told me to kill myself in the past while laughing anf how perhapd tbat is my fault for being a maghot which is what jnspored me i to my self improvement splurge which came to a crashing halt in 2010

So if anyone here is bringing people down and saying they're worthless it's you.. so when I overcome low self esteem and tell myself I'm intelligent it's just deluding myself to feed my ego?

well you said 'you' while quoting me so..

Slow down, you're typing in a way that makes it difficult to read and understand what you're on about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So if anyone here is bringing people down and saying they're worthless it's you.. so when I overcome low self esteem and tell myself I'm intelligent it's just deluding myself to feed my ego?

well you said 'you' while quoting me so..

Slow down, you're typing in a way that makes it difficult to read and understand what you're on about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Socky the extent of my philosophy will trigger every vulnerable user in here as it has sugary lemon drops for the moderators. I will try to keep quiet
(edited 9 years ago)
Socky the extent of my philosophy will trigger every vulnerable user in here as it has alread made me self harm. I wjll try to keep quiet

If you're self harming you should see a doctor, that's really not good and it can easily spiral. particularly since you seem to have an addictive personality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is stupid, no one thinks highly of you until you achieve greatness, liking yourself regardless of whether you achieve it or are a mediocre incel.maggot like the rest ks just being a naive special snowflake.

This is the most **** I've ever read. Define greatness, oh great one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Wow you're 23? I thought you were like 13.
You will not be told you're attractive if you do not try to make yourself attractive and you will not be told you're intelligent if you do not openly display your intelligence. Nobody will even notice you if you fade into the background, which judging from other threads is exactly what you do. I'd sort out your image in a flash if I could :wink:
Whenever it comes up in conversation that I have a physics degree I do get " wow you must be smart" "he's a smart lad" etc. I'm not going to lie it does feel good. ^^ Which is often followed "by what are you doing here?" at work. To which I don't really have an answer :indiff: Plus it puts pressure on to be "smart" where as I am actually quite incompetent at simple tasks. Like putting the correct stickers on a box.

At uni I felt quite stupid or average at best.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Loafing.Charizard
This is the most **** I've ever read. Define greatness, oh great one.

Sure when I'm inside warm (I don't type in the cold because no I am alsl not great I am weak)
Original post by Blaq_widow
You will not be told you're attractive if you do not try to make yourself attractive and you will not be told you're intelligent if you do not openly display your intelligence. Nobody will even notice you if you fade into the background, which judging from other threads is exactly what you do. I'd sort out your image in a flash if I could :wink:

Bitchy as hell, my point precisely

Quick Reply

Latest