The Student Room Group

Re: *** DENTISTRY Graduate Entry Programme 2015!!!! *** Applicants Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone with a UCLan offer had a letter or anything from them?
Original post by althornber1
Has anyone with a UCLan offer had a letter or anything from them?

No not yet, I am desperate to hear more and find out what DEC I have been assigned to. HURRY UP I'M TOO EXCITED :biggrin:
Reply 442
Original post by BiomedDentist
No not yet, I am desperate to hear more and find out what DEC I have been assigned to. HURRY UP I'M TOO EXCITED :biggrin:

I haven't received a letter yet either. Have you both confirmed UCLAN now?
Original post by Beani

I'm still waiting to hear from Aberdeen and then I can make my choices on UCAS. UCLan was amazing, I'm so excited. Have you confirmed? What DECs have you chosen?
Reply 444
I'm still waiting to hear from Aberdeen and then I can make my choices on UCAS. UCLan was amazing, I'm so excited. Have you confirmed? What DECs have you chosen?

No I haven't yet. I got accepted to the Leeds 5 yr course so I need to decide which to choose, 4 yrs at UCLan or 5 yrs at Leeds. They are both amazing courses and I'm lucky to have the choice but I'm genuinely stuck. Have until May to decide though. I asked for Carlisle and Accrington, but to be honest I've never been to Lancashire so I just randomly chose lol. Which DECs did you choose? I applied to Aberdeen but they rejected me straight out! haha.
Reply 445
Original post by Beani
No I haven't yet. I got accepted to the Leeds 5 yr course so I need to decide which to choose, 4 yrs at UCLan or 5 yrs at Leeds. They are both amazing courses and I'm lucky to have the choice but I'm genuinely stuck. Have until May to decide though. I asked for Carlisle and Accrington, but to be honest I've never been to Lancashire so I just randomly chose lol. Which DECs did you choose? I applied to Aberdeen but they rejected me straight out! haha.

With regard to Leeds vs UCLan, I'd say take UCLan. Purely for financial reasons: realistically to are looking at a self-funded bill of £70k for five years, discounting the fact you will start working a year later so there is that loss as well.
I was in a similar position and I went for UCLan on those grounds.

Each DEC has its own character - I'm at Carlisle so naturally I think it's the best 😉
Original post by r.turner20
anyone heard from newcastle yet?! or know if this is a good or a bad thing? My application is still in progress :s-smilie:

I know they interview into mid February, not sure if they've handed out all their interviews or not yet but if they still have some to hand out there's still time to give more out in good time notice for mid February interviews :smile:
Good luck!
Reply 447
Original post by jemms
With regard to Leeds vs UCLan, I'd say take UCLan. Purely for financial reasons: realistically to are looking at a self-funded bill of £70k for five years, discounting the fact you will start working a year later so there is that loss as well.

Each DEC has its own character - I'm at Carlisle so naturally I think it's the best 😉

Yeh UCLan would definitely be the best decision financially speaking. Plus it is a beautiful, really well-equipped school and I love the idea of DECs. But Leeds is also an amazing school with a fantastic reputation. What was your other optional uni?
Reply 448
Original post by jemms

Each DEC has its own character - I'm at Carlisle so naturally I think it's the best ������

I am just trying to work out how much it will cost for a five year course as a graduate. Considering you have to pay £45000 for fees (5* £9000), do you allocate only £25000 for living expenses for five years? (£5000 a year) or is there some funding we will be eligible for? Thanks a million
Original post by aaabbc
I am just trying to work out how much it will cost for a five year course as a graduate. Considering you have to pay £45000 for fees (5* £9000), do you allocate only £25000 for living expenses for five years? (£5000 a year) or is there some funding we will be eligible for? Thanks a million

Hi,
I did so much research on this before applying so I hope this helps.
The NHS fund the final year, so the total for tuition fees is £36,000.
The student loans company will give you a loan (not grant) of approx. £5000 per year (location dependent), Usually graduates on an undergrad course are not eligible for any university bursaries.
However students are eligible for an NHS bursary in the final year of study, this is usually £4000.

Hope this helps and good luck. They really do make it hard for graduates to go down the 5 year route!
Reply 450
Hi,
I did so much research on this before applying so I hope this helps.
The NHS fund the final year, so the total for tuition fees is £36,000.
The student loans company will give you a loan (not grant) of approx. £5000 per year (location dependent), Usually graduates on an undergrad course are not eligible for any university bursaries.
However students are eligible for an NHS bursary in the final year of study, this is usually £4000.

Hope this helps and good luck. They really do make it hard for graduates to go down the 5 year route!

Thank you so much!! It helps loads. good luck with your studies :smile:
Original post by Beani

Yep I have firmed uclan :smile: so excited now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 452

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations! :smile:
Reply 453
have uclan sent letters or not? Congrats :smile: !
Reply 454

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats :smile:
24hrs post interview and I just wanna cry and know now. F....M.....L
Original post by eshdentist
24hrs post interview and I just wanna cry and know now. F....M.....L

Haha ditto. Could be as soon as 13 days away though, although I'd imagine they will wait for the few they said they are going to be interviewing on the 16th of Feb, so maybe 20 days is more realistic :frown:
Original post by pauljoseph
Haha ditto. Could be as soon as 13 days away though, although I'd imagine they will wait for the few they said they are going to be interviewing on the 16th of Feb, so maybe 20 days is more realistic :frown:

Nooooooo don't ruin the dream!!!

I think I cocked up the first station anyway. I'm expecting a rejection if I'm honest...
Original post by eshdentist
Nooooooo don't ruin the dream!!!

I think I cocked up the first station anyway. I'm expecting a rejection if I'm honest...

Be positive, I'm sure you will get an offer! Naturally, after every interview it's human nature to focus on what went wrong and forget about everything that went well! If only one station went poorly, I'm sure the rest went amazingly well!
Original post by pauljoseph
Be positive, I'm sure you will get an offer! Naturally, after every interview it's human nature to focus on what went wrong and forget about everything that went well! If only one station went poorly, I'm sure the rest went amazingly well!

Thanks dude. I just think I came across as quite floopy/loud/ott. I hope I'm just over analysing! Lol good luck to you too x

Quick Reply

Latest