The Student Room Group

Are these A Levels OK?

Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Geography, Economics? I have an interest in all of them.

I'm absolutely stuck on what I want to study at university, so do my choices give me flexibility without making universities think that I'm indecisive and not determined?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flibber
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Geography, Economics? I have an interest in all of them.

I'm absolutely stuck on what I want to study at university, so do my choices give me flexibility without making universities think that I'm indecisive and not determined?

I think the best thing to do is work backwards.

Look at university courses and see what their requirements are. (e.g. some courses don't accept maths as an A-level when further maths is also taken, so you need to do your research and be careful)

Good luck :3
Personally maths and further maths together is a bad option, because they are mutually similar.
Reply 3
Original post by R Dragon
I think the best thing to do is work backwards.

Look at university courses and see what their requirements are. (e.g. some courses don't accept maths as an A-level when further maths is also taken, so you need to do your research and be careful)

Good luck :3

I thought the only course which doesn't accept Maths and Further Maths as two A Levels is Medicine, and I don't want to be a doctor! Are there any other courses which don't accept Maths and Further Maths as separate A Levels?

Original post by TheAlphaParticle
Personally maths and further maths together is a bad option, because they are mutually similar.

I thought having Maths and Further Maths together was the exception to the rule which said don't take two exceedingly similar subjects together.
Original post by flibber

Yes, these are good subjects.
Reply 5
Original post by TheAlphaParticle

Not true - doing maths and FM is very useful when applying to Maths or Economics
Original post by flibber
I thought having Maths and Further Maths together was the exception to the rule which said don't take two exceedingly similar subjects together.

And additional further maths/physics if you're going for relevant courses.
Reply 7
Original post by morgan8002
Yes, these are good subjects.

Thanks. Can you list some of the stuff I can apply with them to make me feel better?
Original post by flibber
Thanks. Can you list some of the stuff I can apply with them to make me feel better?

Maths, physics, engineering, chemistry, medicine (even though you said you didn't want to), economics, finance.
Reply 9
Maths, physics, engineering, chemistry, medicine (even though you said you didn't want to), economics, finance.

Since I'm not taking Physics A Level, we can chop physics and engineering. But it still sounds quite good!
Original post by flibber

Although is it true a lot of A Level Physics is essentially Applied Maths/rip offs from Maths Mechanics modules?

Some of it is just the same as mechanics in maths. It is looked at from a slightly different angle.
However there is also a lot of stuff that isn't covered in mechanics. For example electronics, electromagnetic waves, quantum phenomena.
Original post by flibber
Since I'm not taking Physics A Level, we can chop physics and engineering. But it still sounds quite good!

Sorry. You could do chemical or materials engineering I think.
Reply 12
Some of it is just the same as mechanics in maths. It is looked at from a slightly different angle.
However there is also a lot of stuff that isn't covered in mechanics. For example electronics, electromagnetic waves, quantum phenomena.

Sounds cool, but my family doesn't expect me to take it, since physics is my weakest school subject for the reason I noted above. I might still take a look at them in my spare time during Sixth Form though!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Sorry. You could do chemical or materials engineering I think.

I'll have to look at what engineering actually involves after my GCSEs. Nonetheless, thanks for your help!
5 A-Levels? That's ambitious! Good set of subjects though.
Reply 15
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
5 A-Levels? That's ambitious! Good set of subjects though.

Thanks. My school's deputy head (and the head from September this year) said that usually they insist students who plan on doing Further Maths to take 5 AS Levels. I might drop Economics after AS.
Original post by flibber
Thanks. My school's deputy head (and the head from September this year) said that usually they expect students who plan on doing Further Maths to take 5 AS Levels. I might drop Economics after AS.

I did Economics all the way to A Level (AQA) and it was quite easy to do well in it just by looking at the markscheme and using study guides, so keep that in mind I'd say
Original post by flibber
Thanks. My school's deputy head (and the head from September this year) said that usually they insist students who plan on doing Further Maths to take 5 AS Levels. I might drop Economics after AS.

That's odd. You shouldn't feel pressured into taking 5. You have said that you enjoy all those subjects, so that's ok if you want to.

At my college, people taking A2 further maths all take 3 A-levels, except for one who takes 2 and me (I take 5).
Reply 18
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
I did Economics all the way to A Level (AQA) and it was quite easy to do well in it just by looking at the markscheme and using study guides, so keep that in mind I'd say

My school's Economics exam board is Edexcel, which is generally harder to weasel through than AQA in my opinion. Currently, I'm revising Physics (AQA) GCSE and to be honest, you have to do three things:

1. Revise off the specification where simple facts/definitions are given
2. Solve past papers and memorise style of answers they expect in the mark scheme, and read examiner reports.
3. Research where the specification doesn't go into enough detail.
4. Answer loads of questions for things you can't really revise e.g. calculations.

That's odd. You shouldn't feel pressured into taking 5. You have said that you enjoy all those subjects, so that's ok if you want to.

At my college, people taking A2 further maths all take 3 A-levels, except for one who takes 2 and me (I take 5).

Had I the choice, I'd personally take 4 AS (carry them to full though) and an EPQ to show my devotion to the university. But rules are rules, although my deputy head said that if people find 5 AS levels too difficult, they are allowed to drop one. I shall see for myself in September.

My sister said almost the same thing as you did, by the way. My school must have thought that making Further Maths students take 5 AS Levels would stop them from being lax and ensures that only the most devoted do Further Maths.
I would advise taking maths and further maths, it makes Alevels so much easier. Which is what you need. Whilst they are the same subject, they look really good for university and maths can be applied to almost everything so it will open a lot of doors.

Quick Reply

Latest