The Student Room Group

Help! Need some advice on my uni situation!

(quick note: this is a repost from the a level forum, as I got 0 responses woo)

So! I have offers for computer science from

Nottingham, Newcastle, Keele, Aberystwyth and Nottingham Trent

I'm unsure what to put first.
I was stuck between Nottingham and Newcastle (Both offered me ABB, both have equal pros and cons) but was leaning towards nottingham. However, I recently got terrible maths mock results (a U in core 3 ) and I'm taking the Aberystwyth scholarship exam.

If you pass the scholarship exam, you get an unconditional, but the only way you can accept it is if you put them first (you also get money off accommodation fees if you put them first).

If I pass it, do I put Aber first and not have to worry about maths (which I'm pushing myself for a C or a B in) or do I keep them as insurance (which the offer is BBC).

Apart from maths I'm taking english (which is on track for an A or a B) and computing (Which is on track for a B).

TL;DR: I'm stuck between putting a better uni first which I may not get into, or a potential unconditional first

Help me decide!!

quick edit: if results weren't a thing and I could choose which uni to go to out of my offers itd be Nottingham>Newcastle>Aberystwyth>Keele>Nottingham Trent
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dwarph

I was stuck between Nottingham and Newcastle (Both offered me ABB, both have equal pros and cons) but was leaning towards nottingham. However, I recently got terrible maths mock results (a U in core 3 ) and I'm taking the Aberystwyth scholarship exam.

If you pass the scholarship exam, you get an unconditional, but the only way you can accept it is if you put them first (you also get money off accommodation fees if you put them first).

If I pass it, do I put Aber first and not have to worry about maths (which I'm pushing myself for a C or a B in) or do I keep them as insurance (which the offer is BBC).

Apart from maths I'm taking english (which is on track for an A or a B) and computing (Which is on track for a B).

TL;DR: I'm stuck between putting a better uni first which I may not get into, or a potential unconditional first

Help me decide!!

quick edit: if results weren't a thing and I could choose which uni to go to out of my offers itd be Nottingham>Newcastle>Aberystwyth>Keele>Nottingham Trent
Unconditional offers are a marketing tool used by universities to make applicants accept them. It is to benefit them, not you. As you can see, it is working very well, since you are now considering putting a university first which was originally only your fourth choice. Only choose a university as your firm/only choice if it is actually somewhere you want to go.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Unconditional offers are a marketing tool used by universities to make applicants accept them. It is to benefit them, not you. As you can see, it is working very well, since you are now considering putting a university first which was originally only your fourth choice. Only choose a university as your firm/only choice if it is actually somewhere you want to go.

I really like Aber, despite it being a lot lower down in the league tables. it'll probably be my insurance.
Original post by Dwarph
I really like Aber, despite it being a lot lower down in the league tables. it'll probably be my insurance.

Then it won't be unconditional, yes?
Reply 4
Then it won't be unconditional, yes?

If I put it as insurance it wont be.
But I'm taking the aber scholarship test to see if I can get an unconditional, as there's nothing to lose from taking them

The problem is im really struggling with A Level Maths (which I'm working on) but yes decisions are hard
Original post by Dwarph
If I put it as insurance it wont be.
But I'm taking the aber scholarship test to see if I can get an unconditional, as there's nothing to lose from taking them

The problem is im really struggling with A Level Maths (which I'm working on) but yes decisions are hard

Well, only you can make that choice, really. If you are struggling with maths, you may find the degree difficult.
Reply 6
Well, only you can make that choice, really. If you are struggling with maths, you may find the degree difficult.

I'm doing super well with my computing a level , and I understand maths, its the pressure of exams that lets me down.

but thanks for the advice!
Original post by Dwarph
I'm doing super well with my computing a level , and I understand maths, its the pressure of exams that lets me down.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Just remember that unconditionals are for the university's benefit, rather than yours and it may help you decide
The Aber offer sounds low enough anyway :smile: If I were u I would put it second, remember there is always a little bit of flexibility if u just miss the grades. Good luck
Reply 9
Original post by Dwarph

You will have exams at uni.

You also might want to consider second and third year accommodation at Aber. From friends who go there, I know it's terribly oversubscribed. This was a few years ago so may have changed, but you really need to look into it before you go.
Original post by Juno
You will have exams at uni.

You also might want to consider second and third year accommodation at Aber. From friends who go there, I know it's terribly oversubscribed. This was a few years ago so may have changed, but you really need to look into it before you go.

Gosh, yes, I'd forgotten about that! It was a terrible mess, wasn't it?

OP, do some searching for Aber accommodation on old threads. (Within the last 3 years.) Then decide.
Reply 11
Gosh, yes, I'd forgotten about that! It was a terrible mess, wasn't it?

OP, do some searching for Aber accommodation on old threads. (Within the last 3 years.) Then decide.

you see, if you pass the scholarship exam you get guaranteed accommodation for the full duration of the course
ahhhh
Original post by Dwarph
you see, if you pass the scholarship exam you get guaranteed accommodation for the full duration of the course
ahhhh

Well, that's a relief! Worth looking into quite why they have chosen to make that an attractive part of the package. Anticipate your homeless friends dossing on your floor, then.
Original post by Dwarph

Help me decide!!

obviously its your choice but I fail to understand someone putting aber before Nottingham unless you believe your not going to get the grades or live in the area and wish to remain at home. I went on a visit weekend to aber 3 years ago (everywhere else was a visit day) and could not believe what I was seeing and hearing. the lecturer kept going on about the beach and the pubs until in the end an irish parent pointed out he was paying for this and wanted to know about the educational standards. the response was if you want league tables send your child to oxford. there were gasps of disbelief from those present. the system was totally disorganised and compared to Exeter and Lancaster was a poor relation. it hurts me to say it
as a proud Welshman the English unis were light years ahead of aber

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending