The Student Room Group

St. George's UoL GEM (A101) Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/162767/response/401222/attach/3/FOI2012%202013%20060.pdf

This is quite interesting for anyone on the waiting list. It seems there was only one point in it - so if you're on the WL, you have the same interview score anyway.

What I don't understand is what is going to happen to the ones who don't get places. It appears that in previous years, they gave you a place for the following year, but this year, I assume you're just going to get told to GTFO?

:frown:
Offer here.
I have seen an old FOI where someone asked all about the waiting list, which is on Internet and might be useful for those on the waiting list.
Good luck to anyone still waiting to hear and for other interviews - this was my only shot as was rejected from other unis on low UKCAT and am quite a bit older than most, so pretty relieved!

Posted from TSR Mobile
On the waiting list, gahhhhhh. It seems everyone in this thread is on the darn thing!

I scored 64 on the Gamsat, but that is the average of the three not double weighting science, will they work it out the same way? Double weighting mine brings the score down.
Original post by Don'tMessThisUp
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/162767/response/401222/attach/3/FOI2012%202013%20060.pdf

This is quite interesting for anyone on the waiting list. It seems there was only one point in it - so if you're on the WL, you have the same interview score anyway.

What I don't understand is what is going to happen to the ones who don't get places. It appears that in previous years, they gave you a place for the following year, but this year, I assume you're just going to get told to GTFO?

:frown:

I take that info to mean that they gave out 104 offers for 100 places which means only 4 people said no thanks. Does not look good!
Reply 284
Rejected. Slightly surprised as have two offers already, and I felt like George's was my best interview. Guess you never know!

Congrats to everyone with offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wilfred87
On the waiting list, gahhhhhh. It seems everyone in this thread is on the darn thing!

I scored 64 on the Gamsat, but that is the average of the three not double weighting science, will they work it out the same way? Double weighting mine brings the score down.

Oh jeeez I hope they do it both ways! If you average mine rather than doubling the final section I got 65..

And as if they used to give a deferred place to WL holders! This is a sad day!
Well waitlist crew, I am quite keen to defer as I have a young baby (told you I was old!) so if they let me that is one freed up space!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ceciafb
Oh jeeez I hope they do it both ways! If you average mine rather than doubling the final section I got 65..

And as if they used to give a deferred place to WL holders! This is a sad day!

As I recall, they do it both ways and take the higher. Or at least I thought they did...
Reply 288
For interview I know they do both ways, I've imagine it's the same for wait list though it's not explicitly stated.

Re. Wait list size, I'm estimating 20. I can't imagine many would reject SGUL but they obviously want a contingency plan and 40% of the cohort size seems reasonable.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zorg
For interview I know they do both ways, I've imagine it's the same for wait list though it's not explicitly stated.

Re. Wait list size, I'm estimating 20. I can't imagine many would reject SGUL but they obviously want a contingency plan and 40% of the cohort size seems reasonable.

If there were 18 last year lets be slightly more hopeful and say that, reflecting the cut in places, there are only around 12-15 people on it this year :wink: also my dad said this morning 'maybe loads of people will be put off because of that case of the dr being accused of FGM on the news this morning' yes dad, I'm sure that will make people reject their places in the hundreds...
Reply 290
Original post by ceciafb
If there were 18 last year lets be slightly more hopeful and say that, reflecting the cut in places, there are only around 12-15 people on it this year :wink: also my dad said this morning 'maybe loads of people will be put off because of that case of the dr being accused of FGM on the news this morning' yes dad, I'm sure that will make people reject their places in the hundreds...

Just read the article. Seems like it may be so, so we just need to off 6 or 7 people then. Also slightly crestfallen that it only seems to be one or two points in it! If only I'd answered that one question better!

I'm liking your dad's thinking. :tongue:
Offer as well!
Just got the email a couple hours ago!

Sorry for those of you who have been rejected / wait listed!
But i do know that a lot of people I met were keeping st.george's as a back up!,
So for those wait listed you may have good chances! :smile: Don't give up!
I take that info to mean that they gave out 104 offers for 100 places which means only 4 people said no thanks. Does not look good!

Yeah, but I think that that is going to be the original offers and places; I would hope that every time someone declines, someone from the waiting list gets on...
Original post by ceciafb

I guess it's really shocking, because it used to be that everyone on the waiting list got a place one way or another and now...?
Original post by Don'tMessThisUp
Yeah, but I think that that is going to be the original offers and places; I would hope that every time someone declines, someone from the waiting list gets on...

You're right just totted them up and it comes to 104. It's a mystery how many are offered from the waiting list then, i am going to hazard an optimistic guess and say 463,108 waiting list offers.
You're right just totted them up and it comes to 104. It's a mystery how many are offered from the waiting list then, i am going to hazard an optimistic guess and say 463,108 waiting list offers.

That's a bit extreme!

From the looks of it, it's only the next mark down that determines the waiting list. So depending on the score, that's how many people are on the waiting list.

I would expect it to be in the region of 20-30 again.

I'm actually feeling a bit better about being rejected last year now, as they didn't have a waiting list last year, apparently. That's why I can't find any information on it. They've changed it all up.

What I can't understand is how they managed to say 125 places (2012), then give the 20 people on the waiting list confirmation of places for either that year or the next; so the next year was 100 places, but surely that means that there's 100+ the number of waiting list people too? Unless maybe a lot of people give up on the waiting list. I mean, I guess unless you *really* want SGUL, you'd confirm with a uni that wanted you.

And you can't even ask where you are on the list. That's a bit ****, because that's obviously putting them at an unnecessary advantage. If you knew you were say 20 out of 20, and that you wouldn't get a place, you'd decline and it would be up to them to send out more invitations. But I guess that way they're holding on to 'better' candidates, as they're now going down the list.
Reply 296
Offer here :smile: is there a FB page?
Anyone offered a place for 2016??
They are telling me since my master ends after 1st August this year they can only offer me a place for September 2016??
How does that make sense! I will be done with my master by 1st September this year!
Original post by GiuliaRinaldi
Anyone offered a place for 2016??
They are telling me since my master ends after 1st August this year they can only offer me a place for September 2016??
How does that make sense! I will be done with my master by 1st September this year!

Yup, they may well do that.

I've given up on the logic of SGUL. There are other universities who don't even care about whether you're studying at another college during, they just want you to do well. SGUL would probably get upset if you admitted you were learning French in evening classes.
Yep, not sure how all the deferred places worked in the past. Suppose it doesn't really matter as it doesn't really affect us.

On a different note I am surprised that I even made the waiting list. I asked myself after the interview if i felt like I had performed well enough to be in the top half of interviewees and I gave myself an honest answer of no.

I suppose I am a bit of pessimist, though i prefer to think of it as being a realist. I just really don't feel like my performance could have been better than another 130 or so people interviewed. Sorry I know that might sound a bit insensitive to those who have been rejected, I think it is more of a reflection of my own expectations of myself and is probably just unrealistic.

It's really odd cos I feel really happy that I am so close, which means I probably am good enough to get through this process (eventually). Then on the other hand anxious that i felt i performed better at St George's than at Swansea which makes me think Swansea isn't likely to pan out and I might not get a place at St George's either.

I keep to'ing and fro'ing from one emotion to the next and it's making me feel weird. Got to think positive though, I met at least a couple of people whose first choice wasn't St George's with interviews elsewhere and they seemed like strong candidates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending