The Student Room Group

Is "just be yourself" good advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foo.mp3
Ah right, so I hadn’t misremembered after all :smile: So he made a mistake, you did the sensible thing, and he was crazy about you and couldn’t take the separation. I think you just made a pretty good case for being a girl such guys want desperately to be with, btw :mmm:

She was someone I was seeing briefly, and not exclusively. She was not an ex-girlfriend

She was a lovely, grounded girl, sweet as pie, and although ours was a ‘light’ (open/free) relationship, neither of us saw other people whilst we were seeing each other and she's ordinarily the type to have only serious relationships

Things wouldn’t go really well with those types, but sure if you had a good friendship you might try e.g. a light relationship with such a character, but a full blown, fully committed relationship would be asking for trouble

Yup, others like the beta Sweedish ‘nice guy’ she ended up seeing.. for a while. Poor fool :sad:

You’d be surprised, a lot of guys are still sweet/traditional, believe it or not, it’s just that the stud types are more salient and have a lifestyle that is more sensationalised in the media

Actually that often has a lot to do with e.g. alcohol and wanting sex, as well as a warped desire for validation

Sure, but what do you think happens when the chase/game are over, and the girl is no longer hard to get?..

For sure, a lot of young guys prioritise that and to a certain extent need to get that out of their system. However, the thread you’ve just quoted me in is a good example of how the wifey model can trump the single model of living when you look at things in the round :u: You just don’t get that level of partnership/companionship when you live a party existence. Sporadic, transient hedonistic thrills are no substitute for stability and a deep sense of bonding and belonging :daydreaming:

With all due respect, you haven’t dated and haven’t a clue what you’re talking about. Pretending to be experienced/acting a slut as a girl is lunacy (being relatively innocent/decent is charming to most men) and although it might stand a guy in good stead if he can do it convincingly, it’s fake and he’s liable to get found out (and look a total tool)

No,I just think the guys who dated me knew that I was a dependable girl who wouldn't sleep around and mistook my kindness for weakness. Guys like that security,knowing their girl wouldn't flirt about or do anything inappropriate even if they plan on cheating etc.when I asked why they did such a thing,it was mostly because of the wild personality of the girl that drew them in and they were stuck in the moment and weren't really thinking about consequences. Just goes to show being a respectable young lady won't get you anywhere.
I know you well enough to know that you deserve better than just an open relationship or to be with a girl who has such low standards. I don't think a respectable girl could even demand something like having an open relationship,having sex with more than one guy on a regular basis isn't something most guys would want to entertain,the only people I imagine going for open relationships are party types(wild),sluts and studs and I don't think there's an in between. Same goes for girls who like threesomes and crazy stuff like that.
Well the ball's in your court now,his loss and your gain surely? Anyway,you deserve someone much better looking(there's way more hotter blondes out there) and someone who probably has some good academic background and obviously brunettes are more sexier!

the chase never dies down. That's the cool thing about it. Sluts know that they can get any guy they want over and over and over and let's be honest,few guys are into the whole traditional crap thing.

Personally,I would rather be with someone who accepts me for who I am rather than with someone who I always feel i'm not good enough for,it always puts me on edge. Like I would always think,is this person going to end up cheating on me if someone better or hotter comes along? Just stuff like that. And I don't think its so much insecurities because i think when you look at someone's past and you try to compare it to yours,sometimes there's nothing in common so you try to change yourself to fit them I guess or resemble their ex's.

I don't know about them actually wanting the sex and alcohol but rather just to impress the guy they are with(guys who are high in demand) because they know if he tried to seduce her and she refused he probably wouldn't think of her in such a good light and would probably have second thoughts. People aim to please and would probably go to any lengths just to feel accepted.

I really did like your 'ideal weekend' plans. And I could clearly see the difference there between the single life and the taken life. Makes me miss being taken,Unfortunately life isn't always that simple and rosy haha!

I know I've not dated but I said by the time I'm 30 I would have plenty of experience with men and dating in general so maybe then I would be able to actually agree with you and say it's okay to just be yourself but for now I don't feel that is the case.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 81
No. Being yourself only brings heartbreak.
If you are lying to the other person, (which is what faking a personality is) that isnt a good basis to start any kind of relationship on.

All of this talk of the 'true self' makes me think of Persona 4 though...
"be myself" to me means stay at home on the pc playing video games, read a book or watch a film/TV series.

Not exactly socialite material :indiff:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Yeah. If you're fake everyone will know.

I disagree, I have pretended to be different to who I was and it usually made me get on better with people.

But I realised that wasn't me and I didn't really like those people anyway so I acted like myself again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Brah, it's just vague and bull****
Reply 86
Being yourself is a loaded phrase, but I prefer the term being "authentic". Because it encompasses the complexity of the self, and the fact that you are not just "one" personality, it changes and adapts depending on the situation, mood and atmosphere. As you get older, one develops self awareness, and what that 'self' actually is. If you have the courage to look, you will start to have a clear sense of your underlying emotional needs, your insecurities, your thought patterns, and your strengths. All of these things are essential for relationships, the lack of understanding of these in yourself or in others leads to most issues in relationships.

Not being yourself is a futile exercise, you aura will not shine and it will be noticed. I'm not talking about a spiritual kind of aura, but the aura which is picked up subtly by the subconscious of people around you. Editing yourself for others gives power to other people's opinions, and your being is directly or indirectly at the mercy of everyone else around you - what kind of way is that to live? Being authentic means looking inside yourself - sometimes what you think is "you" isn't the case because you may not only be lying to others, but also to yourself. Your subconscious (which is influenced by your early year experiences) is very good at controlling what you do without you even realising, which is why self awareness is crucial not to repeat the same negative patterns. To give a simplified example, say you never got approval from your parents - you may live your life creating situations where you don't get approval, or attract people similarly as 'disapproving' in order to resolve this need in vain. You won't be thinking this consciously, which is why it isn't easy to achieve self awareness and takes a great deal of investment, but it's ultimately worth it.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Correct

One proposition does not follow from the other. What it "just goes to show" is that one shouldn’t date impulsive and immature guys who are prepared to put your feelings, never mind personal integrity, second behind selfishness and here-today-gone-tomorrow hedonistic highs :rolleyes:

No girl has ever demanded it of me. When I’ve had casual arrangements it has always been my idea

Often true, if their English isn’t necessarily always on point :mmm:

Oh for sure, they’ll always find someone else to chase, but the chase typically ends when a guy who is a reasonably good lover manages to smash a slut, unless she gets him to psychologically hook, which is extremely rare

You felt that way about your ex’s? That’s ****ed up, you were worth 10 of them! :sad:

Those sorts of worries become self fulfilling prophecies because douchebags sense weakness/insecurity and instead of helping a girl overcome such things, allow it to become a source of revulsion, and hence disrespect

I can understand why girls may do this, and have seen countless threads on here in which girls compare themselves to a guy’s ex and try to emulate them/worry they’ll never match up. Personally I can’t conceive of what it’s like to have such a weak mindset, but then I’m a narcissist so I guess that helps (if you automatically assume you’re the best thing since sliced bread and your ex girlfriends come out of the woodwork years later to tell you they’ve never quite been able to move on, then it kind of puts pay to the prospect of any related insecurities) :smug: You need to get used to the idea that your ex’s were extremely lucky to have you and any future partner will be similarly blessed :u:

Actually, as you well know, girls often think the opposite e.g. ‘I really want to have sex with him but if I put out now he’s going to think I’m easy and won’t respect me’

It could be.. :smile:

Let’s hope not :hmmm:

Fair enough. I’m here to tell you, your instinct is mistaken, and comes from a position of insecurity/having been wounded, not rationality/empiricism

They were actually decent at first,well my first ex. I think it's only after he lost his way in life,had other family/great health issues that he just went wild himself and did whatever without really caring much about consequences. But I always felt I had to step up the game with my exs,there was always that feeling of not being good enough for these alpha male types and it just got to a point where I was miserable and my whole personality and mood would completely change and just turned into a miserable bitch because I couldn't keep up the pace.

I'm sorry my English isn't always top notch,it's difficult trying to balance three languages at home/used to be with my parents for sure.

It definitely is much easier for guys. You'll rarely hear a guy saying he wants to resemble his girlfriend's ex. It's very unlikely because men aren't as insecure as women and girls are naturally like that and seek validation from their partners. I know I'm certainly like this. With my second ex,like I knew he was a popular guy who had dated quite a few girls so when we did finally get together,he would open up about his ex's and talk about one in particular several times so I just kept asking him lots of questions regarding Her and in a way attempting to be like her because I could tell he missed such a character. Ofcourse it didn't work anyway and he ended up moving to Newyork even tho he wanted to turn the job down,I encouraged him to go and I guess the separation also got to him too.i honestly wish they knew just how lucky they were and they did admit it in the end(alittle too late by then anyway)

I think only a certain type of girl thinks that way(girls who usually put out on first dates). Most girls probably are heaistant,especially younger girls and prefer to wait.

It could,indeed but it takes hard work and commitment,honesty and respect from both parties :smile:

I kind of agree but I would like to point out that i genuinely feel that it's not all about my insecurities or my past experiences.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
So you know better than most how unhealthy and unsustainable it can be trying to live a false existence

Relax I was just teasing, I know how difficult it is to be fastidious about typed English the whole time when you are unwell. When I had fever I could barely look at my computer screen, let alone communicate coherently! :erm:

I now realise I should never have discussed my ex’s with you thank God none of them were right for me! :laugh:

At least they did eventually, and I hope that message gets through to you in the end!

I dunno about hard work, but certainly commitment, honesty and respect, the later of which I always do, and the first of which I would always do with a girlfriend (otherwise what’s the point?)

Well, unless there’s something I don’t know about you, we’ll just have to agree to disagree because to me you seem like you’d make a great girlfriend just being yourself (so long as you can get your self-esteem in order, in good time) :smile:

I'm just tired of being myself that's all. Let's see where it gets me this time:frown:
Original post by Foo.mp3
Was expecting more of a reply than that but I guess we'll see (I know what my money's on) :dancing:

Wanna bet?
Original post by Foo.mp3
Sure, £200 says just being your (true) self results in you securing a new boyfriend who will support you through thick and thin and love you very muchly :h:

And are you 100% sure about this theory/situation?
Original post by Lionheart96
Whether it's trying to make friends or going on a first date, is being yourself good advice?
Does anyone have stories when being themselves worked or didn't or pretending to be someone else worked out better for them?

"Just be yourself" is used for people who are shy and act awkward when they can't pull off a normal conversation because they're trying too hard.

"Just be yourself" doesn't always work because honestly, not all people should.

"Be the best you can be, for you and not for someone else" is more like it.
Original post by Foo.mp3
You know how much of a tightass I am, and where that £200 has come from, you know I wouldn't gamble it on a whim :smile:

Put yourself in that situation, and you'll see how right I am :borat:

Spoiler

Can you two just **** and get it over with or has that happened already? :colone:
Original post by Foo.mp3
You know how much of a tightass I am, and where that £200 has come from, you know I wouldn't gamble it on a whim :smile:

Put yourself in that situation, and you'll see how right I am :borat:

Spoiler

Oh I definitely know where it came from :h:
I'll tell you what,keep the 200 but in return I'll give you a getaway to Prague with a hotel that has breathtaking sights plus expensive champagne! How does that sound?
Original post by Foo.mp3
Haha, surely you wouldn't make a romantic break a wager in a bet now!? :erm:

Spoiler

Is that a yes or a no? You no likey?! :frown:
Is that the condition? :h: that I can do ofcourse

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending