The Student Room Group

Warwick Msc. Accounting and Finance vs Cranfield

Hi, lads and ladettes,

My profile first: low 2:1 in 1st year, 1st in second year and expect 1st overall in BSc. accounting and finance. Do not have a terrific background in economics or quantitative subjects, but had some modules in those fields.

Offers I currently hold are:

MSc accounting and finance from warwick, though I applied for MSc finance, for some reasons they think I'm not good enough, assumedly because of not so outstanding extracurricular and math background.

MSc Investment Management from Cranfield, which is a new program, very similar to their highly hyped Finance and Management program, but less corporate finance and more investment oriented.

I'm leaning towards the later for apparent reasons: 1) trading is what I wanna do 2) its much much cheaper, though few years ago it was the most expensive finance program in UK.

However what concerns me is that Cranfield is largely not heard of outside of UK, and I'm non-EU, given the overall tightening policies for immigration regulations and my not so impressive interview history, I cannot really see myself find a life here.

On the other hand the pure brand name of warwick can probably land me a job in finance management functions in some organisations, though it is not really what I'm really keen of.

Needs your two cents, or pennies, in the British context.

And also has anyone got any idea whether there is any possibility to change the mind of Warwick admission team?
Have you checked to see how similar or different the actual modules in both Warwick courses? You should also ask them if MSc A&F is good for your career aims. It may just be as good or acceptable.
Reply 2
Original post by GandalfWhite
Have you checked to see how similar or different the actual modules in both Warwick courses? You should also ask them if MSc A&F is good for your career aims. It may just be as good or acceptable.

MSc. A&F in warwick is 4 out of 6 core modules in accounting+2 electives. Which I doubt would be helpful for trading/ fund management.
You will find that many people who get into IB and even become very successful, do have all kinds of degrees. A right degree alone will not be sufficient. It is very competitive and IB are looking for the right type of candidates, not just in terms of right degree from the right universities. It will be worthwhile finding out how to position yourself to be the right type of candidate for IB. There are information online which will help you identify so you can try position yourself with the right profile.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending