The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

peek-a-booooo
Why do we pray??? Is it important???
Original post by Splashhh
Why do we pray??? Is it important???

We pray because it is the first question we will be asked in the grave meaning if our pray isn't good enough then it would bring down all other good deeds we have done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
No joke but this thread is so boring! Where has everyone disappeared? :colone:
Reply 3604
Original post by HelloLosers!

to sleep?
Original post by Tpos
to sleep?

You're awake though :lol:
What is the purpose of this thread anyway?

Now now, no trolling in here. Be good.
Reply 3607
You're awake though :lol:
What is the purpose of this thread anyway?

Just general "Muslimy" and Islam related chat
Original post by Tennumbers
Now now, no trolling in here. Be good.

I didn't troll in here lol
I was asking a general question Maria :cry:

--------

Asalaamulaykum all

--------

Asalaamulaykum all

Isoc trolling positions are taken anyway.

Wa'alaykumasalaam.

--------

Asalaamulaykum all

Sorry :mmm:

Wa'alaikum assalam

Asalaamulaykum all

Waalaikumussalam warahmatullah
Assalaamu Alaikum warahmatullah :smile:

When we are told that interest (usury) is Haraam, is there distinction made between being a victim to usury and the culprit who is charging interest? Or is the rule universally applied?

JazakaAllah.

Asalaamulaykum all

Walaikummusalaam warahmatullah.
Finally everyone woke up....
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3615
Original post by ImNotMe

When we are told that interest (usury) is Haraam, is there distinction made between being a victim to usury and the culprit who is charging interest? Or is the rule universally applied?

JazakaAllah.

Wa alaykum salaam

Can someone call themselves a victim when they knew the deal and made the decision to go for it? I wouldn't call such a person a victim personally
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ImNotMe

JazakaAllah.
usury is not interest in itself, but (however defined) an excessive rate of interest

in Islam, it is interest (riba) in itself that is forbidden, not excessive interest (usury
Original post by Gray Fox
What about student loans?

Sorry for the late reply. I was out the whole day. And funnily enough my friend asked the same question today.

Student loans have interest in them, so yes, they would be haram.

''Those who consume interest cannot stand [on the Day of Resurrection] except as one stands who is being beaten by Satan into insanity. That is because they say, "Trade is [just] like interest." But Allah has permitted trade and has forbidden interest. So whoever has received an admonition from his Lord and desists may have what is past, and his affair rests with Allah . But whoever returns to [dealing in interest or usury] - those are the companions of the Fire; they will abide eternally therein.'' (Quran Al Baqarah 2:275)

''O you who have believed, fear Allah and give up what remains [due to you] of interest, if you should be believers.
And if you do not, then be informed of a war [against you] from Allah and His Messenger. But if you repent, you may have your principal - [thus] you do no wrong, nor are you wronged.'' (Quran Al Baqarah 2:278-9)

''And [for] their taking of usury while they had been forbidden from it, and their consuming of the people's wealth unjustly. And we have prepared for the disbelievers among them a painful punishment.'' (Quran An-Nisa 4:161)

There were some ahadith by the Prophet (SAW) which I came across which greatly suggested that interest is forbidden, but I didn't know if they were authentic so I was reluctant to post them.

Raymat gave a good answer. This is a matter some Muslims don't take seriously enough unfortunately. It is crystal clear here in the Quran that interest is forbidden, so I don't understand why there would be mixed opinions on this.
Original post by HAnwar
Student loans have interest in them, so yes, they would be haram.
Raymat gave a good answer. This is a matter some Muslims don't take seriously enough unfortunately. It is crystal clear here in the Quran that interest is forbidden, so I don't understand why there would be mixed opinions on this.

Student loans is a complicated matter and there are differing opinions among scholars if I'm not wrong.
Original post by ImNotMe

JazakaAllah.

I found

Jabir b. Abdullah reports that the Prophet cursed thereceiver of interest and the payer thereof, the one whorecords it and the two witnesses thereof. He said: "They areall alike [in guilt]."

Latest

Trending

Trending