The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh Ty 😃.I read a good bit about them but wondered whether they could be regarded as a sect in itself.
Is that why he got assassinated? I heard Malcolm X campaigned for some sort of racial segregation, is this true?

What confuses me is why they call themselves the nation of Islam though,none of their aims were religious but political .Not to mention their ideology is at conflict with Islamic principles.

I think so, those convicted of his assassination were members of the NOI

He did, thankfully his views changed later on

:dontknow: just a bunch of ridiculous supremacists
Original post by IdeasForLife

Spoiler

Asalaamulaykum, fellow Muslamics, we were thinking of making an ISOC banner which anybody could put into their sigs, and say "click here to join the Islamic society!" or something. Anyway we have a prototype below. Do you like it? Is the pic ok? Do you have any other ideas(get the joke?????????)?

EDITs: click image to see if it works.

Waalaikumussalam warahmatullah,

I love the idea, the pic is ok. And no, I don't have any other ideas (lol).

This might be weird... But can someone tell me what sigs is. Also, how to put that thing into my sigs?
Islam is still the top of the list in topics discussed on the Religion subforum. I personally believe this is because Islam is a far harder challenge than say the other faiths are to 'disprove', and this is quoting one famous atheist/agonistic user on here, who himself said this on the Quran contradiction forum.
(edited 9 years ago)
Peace be with you all,

I'm going to be addressing the wikiIslam alleged contradictions in the Quran, and prove to you one by one that they are baseless.

The list:

Let's start with number one: "Where is Allah"

The first verse says: "
He it is Who created the heavens and the earth in six Days; then He mounted the Throne. He knoweth all that entereth the earth and all that emergeth therefrom and all that cometh down from the sky and all that ascendeth therein; and He is with you wheresoever ye may be. And Allah is Seer of what ye do."

The second verse says: "
To Allah belong the east and the West: Whithersoever ye turn, there is the presence of Allah. For Allah is all-Pervading, all-Knowing."

The third verse says: "
O our Lord! I have made some of my offspring to dwell in a valley without cultivation, by Thy Sacred House; in order, O our Lord, that they may establish regular Prayer: so fill the hearts of some among men with love towards them, and feed them with fruits: so that they may give thanks."

The final verse says: "
We verily created man and We know what his soul whispereth to him, and We are nearer to him than his jugular vein"

Response:

After each verse, they allege, Allah swt is currently on his 'royal chair. Or Allah swt is everywhere, or Allah swt is in the Kaba. Reading the verse immediately all of these interpretations are so baseless.

Before i dissect this claim, let me present one hadith:

He said: Abu Qurra, the narrator of ahadith asked me to admit him into the presence of Abu’l Hasan ar-Rida عليه السلام, so I asked for his permission in that and he accepted it from me. So he entered upon him and asked him about the permissible and the forbidden, until he said to him: Do you affirm that Allah is carried? So Abu’l Hasan عليه السلام said: Everything that is carried is an object [of the carrier], additional to what is besides it, and dependent. And ‘carried’ is the name for a defect in an expression, while the carrier is a subject and is [meant to indicate] praise in an expression. And that is the expression of one who says, “Highest and lowest; uppermost and lowermost”. And Allah says, “And for Him are the best names, so call Him by them” (7:180), and He does not say in His Book that He is carried. Rather, He said that He is the carrier in the sea and on the land, and the preserver of the heavens and the Earth from falter. A carried thing is [that which is] other than Allah. The supplication “O carried one!” is never heard from one who believes in Allah and His greatness.Abu Qurra said: But He says, “… and eight will uphold the throne of their Lord that day, above them” (69:17), and He says, “those who uphold the throne…” (40:7). So Abu’l Hasan عليه السلام said: The throne (`arsh) is not Allah, rather it is a name for knowledge and power. In the throne is everything. He ascribed ‘carrying’ to other than Himself [it is ascribed] to creatures from His creation, because He has made His creatures worship Him by carrying His throne; and they are carrying [a portion of] His knowledge. And there are creatures who glorify [Him] around the throne and act by His knowledge. And the angels write the deeds of His servants. He has made the people of the Earth circumambulate His house (i.e. the Ka`ba). And Allah is established upon His throne, just as He has said. Allah carries the throne, those who uphold it, and those who surround the throne. He preserves them, and He is the sustainer and guardian over every person, and He is above every thing, and He is upon every thing. He cannot be called a carrier or a foundation; this saying is solitary and does not reach a thing, so it corrupts its pronunciation and its meaning. Abu Qurra said: So do you belie the narration that has come [that says], “When Allah becomes angry, His anger becomes known to the angels that hold the throne. They feel the weight of His anger on their shoulders, so they fall down in prostration. And when the anger goes, it (i.e. the throne) lightens and they return to their places”? So Abu’l Hasan عليه السلام said: Inform me about Allah تبارك وتعالى: from when He cursed Iblees till your time, He has been angry with him. So when was He pleased [during that time]? And in your dogma, His anger with him and with his supporters and with his followers is persistent. How dare you describe your Lord with changes from state to state, and [say] that He experiences what the creatures experience?! May He be glorified and exalted. He does not perish with those who perish, nor does He change with those who change, nor does He replace with those who are replaced and those who are under His hand and His management. All of them require Him, and He is independent from others. (al-Kafi, Volume 1 hadith 332)

(sahih) (صحيح)

The 'throne' in the first verse is a reference to his rule, his power, and creation. It is not in a reference to the position of Allah swt nor of his position, as no muslim believes he is literally and physically 'on' a throne. It is often coupled with a verse talking about the creation of everything, which then signifies the 'throne' as his power, his rule , his control. The hadith , which by the way is around 1100/200 years old, with routes to the ahlulbayt a.s and the preservers of the sunnah of Muhammed pbuh affirms this. Therefore there is no way one can claim this is post adhoc rationalism.

(Whatever the view of Al Arsh, or Kursi, there is no way nor any islam school that believe it means Allah swt is literally on it, or contained in it)

Tafsir Al Mizan, by Alama Tabatabai

The arsh has many different attributes; in every place of the Quran that it has been mentioned, attributes of it that are in correspondence with the place it has come have also been mentioned.” For instance, in رب العرش العظیم”, “the great throne” is referring to Allah’s (swt) great dominion. In الرحمن علی العرش استوی”, what is meant is that Allah (swt) covers all of His dominion, meaning that He has knowledge of everything. If it ever happens that arsh and kursiyy are mentioned together, each will have its own separate meaning. That is because both the arsh and kursiyy are two of the greatest doors to the unseen and both are part of the unseen themselves, therefore from this perspective, the two are alike. The difference between the two though, is that the kursiyy is the outer door to the unseen and every new thing and all things that are created come from there, while the arsh is the inner door to the unseen, meaning that knowledge of all things and creation and the knowledge of measures and boundaries and place of all things, and also willpower, knowledge of words and movements and refrain and knowledge of the beginning of all things and their end all comes from there.
So, the arsh and kursiyy are two doors next to each other; the only thing is that the realm of the arsh differs from that of the kursiyy and that the knowledge of the first is more concealed and hidden than that of the latter…"

The second verse says that wherever we turn, there is the face of Allah swt. This verse merely means the awareness of Allah swt, or knowledge of Allah swt over all things. There is no place his control and knowledge does not encompass. It is clearly allegorical and you would have to go out of your way to take that literally.

The third verse in no way says Allah swt 'lives' in the Kaba God forbid. It is merely called the house of Allah swt, to denote the sacred notion of it. This exposes the unholistic nature of the wiki-islam team or whoever contributes to them, that they could not understand such a basic notion.

The fourth again, is allegorical. It shows the knowledge, the power, and the fact Allah swt knows that our inner most selves whisper to us, he knows us more than we know ourselves, he is closer to us than our own jugular veins.

Further elucidation based on tafsir:

"
The blessed Verse may make a reference to the point that had those who denied Resurrection made use of their reason, they would have abstained from satanic temptations and they could acknowledge the veracity of Resurrection without entertaining any doubts as to the same. Other Divine Majestic Attributes include Comprehensiveness and Guardianship. “And We are closer unto him than his jugular vein.” Warīd is the vein connected to heart and liver through which blood flows and warīdān or sharā'īn are applied the

290 twain blood vessels connecting heart to brain on which depends survival of the body. It is one of the closest things to man’s life such that if blood flow suffers from any defect, man will die. The blessed Verse makes a reference to Divine encompassing of existence and Divine Guardianship. In other words, since existence depends upon God Almighty, He is closer to him than the jugular vein that keeps him alive. Such closeness reflects that God Almighty is closer to man than anyone else, since the existence of anything depends upon what realizes its existence and keeps it as it is. Since the Divine Essence is the Creator, the Origin, and the Final End of creation, all created beings are encompassed by him and their existence depends upon Him. How then He may be unaware of anything? It is worthy of note that these are all similitude and closeness to God Almighty is far superior to such things, but such illustration which makes use of intelligible, is the most evident means of exposition. Now that we perceive that God Almighty encompasses all things and we are under His full Sway, we know that our words, deeds, thought, intentions, or even temptations occurring to our hearts are by no means concealed from Him. Attending to this truth awakens man and acquaints him with his heavy responsibility and precise recording of his words and deeds to be presented at Divine Tribunal. Thus, the truth turns a neglectful and indifferent man into an alert, obedient, duty bound, and God fearing servant."

http://www.maaref-foundation.com/english/library/quran/light/light_17/050/16.htm

Closing remarks:

1.No-where in the Quran does it explicitly say Allah is contained
2. Many of the verses used are infact so obviously allegorical, to take them literally would require a dishonest and quite startlingly ignorant view.
3. This alleged contradiction hilights someone trying to go through verses, with no real knowledge of Islam, rationality, or common sense, and inducing a very false, and easily disprovable 'contradiction'

I close with this verse:

Quran: "He it is Who hath revealed unto thee (Muhammad) the Scripture wherein are clear revelations - they are the substance of the Book - and others (which are) allegorical. But those in whose hearts is doubt pursue, forsooth, that which is allegorical seeking (to cause) dissension by seeking to explain it"
(edited 9 years ago)
Asalam alaikum WaRahmatullah.

Signs of weak Faith:
Committing sins and not feeling any
guilt.
Having a hard heart and no desire to
read the Quran.
Feeling too lazy to do good deeds,
e.g. being late for salat
Neglecting the Sunnah.
Having mood swings, for instance
being upset about petty things and
bothered and irritated most of the
time.
Not feeling anything when hearing
verses from the Quran, for example
when Allah warns us of punishments
and His promise of glad tidings.
Finding difficulty in remembering Allah
and making dhikr.
Not feeling bad when things are done
against the Shariah.
Desiring status and wealth.
Being mean and miserly, i.e. not
wanting to part with wealth.
Ordering others to do good deeds when
not practising them ourselves.
Feeling pleased when things are not
progressing for others.
Being concerned with whether
something is haram or halal only; and
not avoiding makroo (not
recommended) things.
Making fun of people who do simple
good deeds, like cleaning the mosque.
Not feeling concerned about the
situation of Muslims.
Not feeling the responsibility to do
something to promote Islam.
Liking to argue just for the sake of
arguing without any proof.
Becoming engrossed and very involved
with dunya, worldly things, i.e.
feeling bad only when losing something
in terms of material wealth.
Becoming engrossed and obsessive
about ourselves.
Okay, how to increase our faith then ?
Recite and ponder on the meanings of
the Quran. Tranquility then descends
and our hearts become soft. To get
optimum benefit, remind yourself that
Allah is speaking to you. People are
described in different categories in
the Quran; think of which one you find
yourself in.
Realize the greatness of Allah.
Everything is under His control. There
are signs in everything we see that
points us to His greatness. Everything
happens according to His permission.
Allah keeps track and looks after
everything, even a black ant on a
black rock on a black moonless night.
Make an effort to gain knowledge, for
at least the basic things in daily life
e.g. how to make wudu properly. Know
the meanings behind Allah's names and
attributes. People who have taqwa
are those who have knowledge.
Attend gatherings where Allah is
remembered. In such gatherings we
are surrounded by angels.
We have to increase our good deeds.
One good deed leads to another good
deed. Allah will make the way easy for
someone who gives charity and also
make it easy for him or her to do good
deeds. Good deeds must be done
continuously, not in spurts.
We must fear the miserable end to our
lives; the remembrance of death is the
destroyer of pleasures.
Remember the different levels of
akhirah, for instance when we are put
in our graves, when we are judged,
whether we will be in paradise or hell.
Make dua, realize that we need Allah.
Be humble. Don't covet material things
in this life.
Our love for Subhana Wa Ta'Ala must
be shown in actions. We must hope
Allah will accept our prayers, and be in
constant fear that we do wrong. At
night before going to sleep, we must
think about what good we did during
that day.
Realize the effects of sins and
disobedience- one's faith is increased
with good deeds and our faith is
decreased by bad deeds. Everything
that happens is because Allah wanted
it. When calamity befalls us- it is also
from Allah. It is a direct result of our
disobedience to Allah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HSafirah
Waalaikumussalam warahmatullah,

I love the idea, the pic is ok. And no, I don't have any other ideas (lol).

This might be weird... But can someone tell me what sigs is. Also, how to put that thing into my sigs?

sig appears when that small blue button is pressed (on the bottom right of their post you can put anything on it. to put things in your sig go here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/profile.php?do=editsignature and hit save
(edited 9 years ago)
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2015/02/china-neighbours-send-uighurs-150217103722697.html

Our countries sell our brothers to scum so easily...

I owe many of you replies, I'll do it when I'm free insha'Allah
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Incredible97
Why are you depressed? what subjects do you study?

I study English lit. History and psychology..

I just have bouts of anxiety that comes and goes...and panic attacks.. ..
I don't want to mess up i guess..
Original post by blackmarshmallow
I study English lit. History and psychology..

I just have bouts of anxiety that comes and goes...and panic attacks.. ..
I don't want to mess up i guess..

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel the same pressure here.I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.
I live and I breathe Islam. Everything I do is for the sake of Allah. I love & admire our beloved Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H).
Tomorrow isn't promised.

Let that sink in for a minute.

Think of how many people who looked forward to a tomorrow that never came.
"Prayer is an amazing exchange, you hand over your worries to Allah. And Allah hands over His blessings to you. Alhamdulillah."
I bought a book "The First Muslim" by Lesley Hazleton (who is an agnostic Jew) and I'm quite intrigued to read it. :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, just saw it.What a hero Ben Affleck is.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, just saw it.What a hero Ben Affleck is.

Just saw what? Could you elaborate?
Original post by Ankabout

I think he's talking about a video of Ben Affleck defending Islam on Bill Maher's show.
Original post by Carpe Diem Jay
I think he's talking about a video of Ben Affleck defending Islam on Bill Maher's show.

Oh thanks for explaining.
Original post by Ankabout

Posted from TSR Mobile

It happened last year but I only saw it now.Bill Maker and Sam Harris were being bigots about Islam and this annoyed Ben Affleck and they has a debate.
http://youtu.be/vln9D81eO60

Latest

Trending

Trending