The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

The UCL PPE thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiorS
Really ?!! Did you applied to the dual degree between the two ? I did but i have not heard anything yet which is nerve racking ! Well that is my biggest problem ...If i am accepted to sciences po and for exemple the UCL PPE i may do the PPE but really every week i change my choice so....Are you doing a bac ES , if yes what are your grade like ?

No I didn't apply to the dual degree UCL/SciencesPo, only to PPE. I am actually living in Japan, so I also applied to SciencesPo/Keio University dual degree (Keio is a univerisity in Japan), but if I get an offer from LSE, I will choose the latter without any hesitation. Yes I am in serie ES, 19 in maths, economics, history and Overall grade around 18 for the 2nd trimester of Terminale. (but I have to say, these are the best grades I have ever achieved. In 1ere, I had more like 16/20 overall grade.)
I have been reading many posts in this forum and I am suprised by the number of french people! hope to see you next year maybe!
(edited 9 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 601
Original post by Soekblas
No I didn't applied to the dual degree UCL/SciencesPo, only to PPE. I am actually living in Japan, so I also applied to SciencesPo/Keio University dual degree (Keio is a univerisity in Japan), but if I get an offer from LSE, I will choose the latter without any hesitation. Yes I am in serie ES, 19 in maths, economics, history and Overall grade around 18 for the 2nd trimester of Terminale. (but I have to say, these are the best grades I have ever achieved. In 1ere, I had more like 16/20 overall grade.)
I have been reading many posts in this forum and I am suprised by the number of french people! hope to see you next year maybe!

Wow ! I am pretty sure that you will get an offer from Sciences Po for sure ! And LSE too,they love international student ! The dual degree of sciences Po seems to be quite competitive program,around 16-17 place but i do think you have a strong application ! Yeah it would be great !
Original post by Soekblas
No I didn't applied to the dual degree UCL/SciencesPo, only to PPE. I am actually living in Japan, so I also applied to SciencesPo/Keio University dual degree (Keio is a univerisity in Japan), but if I get an offer from LSE, I will choose the latter without any hesitation. Yes I am in serie ES, 19 in maths, economics, history and Overall grade around 18 for the 2nd trimester of Terminale. (but I have to say, these are the best grades I have ever achieved. In 1ere, I had more like 16/20 overall grade.)

Amazing grades though :wink: I know a friend who got accepted for the dual degree with keio, btw good luck :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Going to the ESPS assessment day tomorrow and have an interview! Any tips anyone? I'm applying for the dual BA and Im a british school applicant. Really quite nervous about the interview....

Also a question about the TSA, does the TSA have to be done chronologically, would it be a bad idea to try to do the questions you think will be easier for you or is that a big no-no?
(there is no essay portion for the ucl one)
Imagine if on the last day they just rejected us. After all this waiting it would just feel like they ran out of time and decided to just sack us all off. I would be so mad, I've invested so much in this emotionally lol.
Original post by TheAnnabelle
Going to the ESPS assessment day tomorrow and have an interview! Any tips anyone? I'm applying for the dual BA and Im a british school applicant. Really quite nervous about the interview....

Also a question about the TSA, does the TSA have to be done chronologically, would it be a bad idea to try to do the questions you think will be easier for you or is that a big no-no?

For my Oxford TSA I read that you should try and do it chronologically as it avoids the error of marking the multiple choice answer sheet wrongly. You can still prioritise and try and do one's that you think you'll be able to answer, but the trick is in being able to quickly identify the one's you won't be able to answer and then guessing it and moving on quickly. It's important if you're doing that to set a high benchmark of how difficult you're going to need it to be before you say "nope, not for me" and guess it, else you'll either end up guessing none and run out of time, or guess them all, haha!
Original post by Dprince
For my Oxford TSA I read that you should try and do it chronologically as it avoids the error of marking the multiple choice answer sheet wrongly. You can still prioritise and try and do one's that you think you'll be able to answer, but the trick is in being able to quickly identify the one's you won't be able to answer and then guessing it and moving on quickly. It's important if you're doing that to set a high benchmark of how difficult you're going to need it to be before you say "nope, not for me" and guess it, else you'll either end up guessing none and run out of time, or guess them all, haha!

Thanks for the advice! That sounds wise! I'll need to get over my perfectionism for working things out itahahah
Original post by Dprince
Imagine if on the last day they just rejected us. After all this waiting it would just feel like they ran out of time and decided to just sack us all off. I would be so mad, I've invested so much in this emotionally lol.

I really undersrtand this your (our) fear! Well, this is definitely the worst case scenario we all have to take into account, and you are the one who put it down in words first haha
Original post by Dprince

Obviously most people will get rejected if 700 people applied for 100 offers
Reply 609
Original post by TheAnnabelle

I did what Dprince mentioned on the Oxford TSA, I skipped one quite early on and ended up putting the answers to the wrong questions. An absolute nightmare seeing 5 minutes left and realising your error

But I remember before the test reading that the best thing to do for time is asnwer all the critical thinking ones and then all the problem solving ones or vice versa. This is because your brain isn't having to switch what it's doing so it gets to grips with questions quicker as your in the flow of that kind of question. I'm not really sure how much difference it makes though, I did it pretty much chronologically and was fine for time and did well.

Anyway good luck, I hope you nail it all and get in :smile:
Reply 610
just got my choice of stream email! will probably go into philosophy. theres also this weird methods stream thing, what are the differences?
Reply 611
Original post by Fabil6
just got my choice of stream email! will probably go into philosophy. theres also this weird methods stream thing, what are the differences?

Are you eligible for both stream ? It's a good sign i think,you will get an answer soon.
Reply 612
I am! although i definitely prefer philosophy, they recommend you to apply for economics but im not sure if i can meet the math requirement! and if i do meet it im firming LSE anyways so ill go there. Best of luck to everyone out there, hopefully we can all meet in UCL as classmates!
Original post by Fabil6
I am! although i definitely prefer philosophy, they recommend you to apply for economics but im not sure if i can meet the math requirement! and if i do meet it im firming LSE anyways so ill go there. Best of luck to everyone out there, hopefully we can all meet in UCL as classmates!

Same position with the maths - who said you are better of applying for Econ rather than philosophy?
Reply 614
I believe on the website it says that the minimum requirement for mathematics is higher if you wish to specialize in economics! perhaps im wrong
Oh I see what you mean - more people will have applied as it is not as high in terms of entrance requirements - I think I might get the A* in maths but it will be close so not sure whether I want to risk it :smile:
Original post by Dprince

I'm actually getting really impatient now haha :/ It would be ridiculous if they're just going to reject us- I'd rather they would just hurry up so I can move on from this waiting game! :s-smilie:
Original post by Askaud
I did what Dprince mentioned on the Oxford TSA, I skipped one quite early on and ended up putting the answers to the wrong questions. An absolute nightmare seeing 5 minutes left and realising your error

But I remember before the test reading that the best thing to do for time is asnwer all the critical thinking ones and then all the problem solving ones or vice versa. This is because your brain isn't having to switch what it's doing so it gets to grips with questions quicker as your in the flow of that kind of question. I'm not really sure how much difference it makes though, I did it pretty much chronologically and was fine for time and did well.

Anyway good luck, I hope you nail it all and get in :smile:

Thanks so much, just had the test today! I found it harder than the sample one but I think evryone else also had trouble finishing.

ANYWAY, they told us we should hear back by the end of next week.....crossing my fingers that its good news!

Best of luck with your decision too!!!!!!
It would be so mean of them if they just rejected us at the end of March...so mean...
YEA. what the difference between the Breadth method and QM stream?? I need to answer their email and have no idea what they are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending