The Student Room Group

is economics human geography ?

i am in the process of picking my A-level options and apparently economics is very similar to the human side of geography which i really like , is this true ? also i heard sociology is pretty similar too.

my other options are biology,chemistry and maths
Reply 1
Obviously it depends on the topic in human Geography. Economics will cover it in parts, but will look at the effects of what happens in human Geography. Also economics will go further, and not all of the units will be related in any way to Geography.

For example, a topic on the UK's economy is bound to be closely linked to human Geography if you're looking at population, but topics such as production and costs are going to be far less related.
Original post by Ferret1
Obviously it depends on the topic in human Geography. Economics will cover it in parts, but will look at the effects of what happens in human Geography. Also economics will go further, and not all of the units will be related in any way to Geography.

For example, a topic on the UK's economy is bound to be closely linked to human Geography if you're looking at population, but topics such as production and costs are going to be far less related.

so there is an element of business too ?

I study both geography and economics at A level; human geography does link with both economic units fairly well, but a firm understnading of human geography will only go so far in helping you with economics. A lot of the marks in economics comes down to your understanding of key economic terms and being able to show them graphically. Human geography will only help in the essay questions.
Original post by jake4198
I study both geography and economics at A level; human geography does link with both economic units fairly well, but a firm understnading of human geography will only go so far in helping you with economics. A lot of the marks in economics comes down to your understanding of key economic terms and being able to show them graphically. Human geography will only help in the essay questions.

Thank you , i do really enjoy human geography and although they are not completely similar, do they require the same skills ? and do you need to learn case studies in economics ?
Original post by Humzaawan123
Thank you , i do really enjoy human geography and although they are not completely similar, do they require the same skills ? and do you need to learn case studies in economics ?

The same skills are required in that you're expected to be well read with everything going on around you. There isn't any case studies in economics, however, being able to incorporate real world economic problems into your exam is definitely a plus

Quick Reply

Latest