The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Kitab Al Kafi- Volume 2 - Silence and preservation of tongue

1827–5. From him (–) al-Haytham ibn Abī Masrūq (–) Hishãm ibn Sãlim that Abū ‘Abdillãh (‘a.s.) said:

"The Messenger of Allãh (ṣ.a.‘a.w.a.w.s.) said to a man who came to visit him: 'Shall I not direct you to something by which Allãh will make
you enter Paradise?' He said: 'Yes indeed, O Messenger of Allãh!' He [ṣ.a.‘a.w.-a.w.s.] said: 'Grant what Allãh has granted you.' He said: 'What,
if I am in need of that than to whom I have to grant?' He [ṣ.a.‘a.w.a.w.s.] said: 'Then help the oppressed one.' He said: 'Then what (should I do) if I am unable (weak) to offer help?' Then do something for a foolish person i.e., guide him (to right path).' He said: 'What, if I am more foolish than the
one whom I want to guide?' Then (in that case) hold your tongue except for good works. Does this not please you to have one of these attributes in you which will lead you to Paradise?'
Hasan- Graded by Alama Majlisi

Imam Ali a.s is reported to have given this sermon:
Sermon 205 - I dislike that you should be abusers ...

During the battle of Siffin Amir al-mu'minin heard some of his men abusing the Syrians, then he said:
I dislike you starting to abuse them, but if you describe their deeds and recount their situations that would be a better mode of speaking and a more convincing way of arguing. Instead of abusing them you should say, "O' Allah! save our blood and their blood, produce reconciliation between us and them, and lead them out of their misguidance so that he who is ignorant of the truth may know it, and he who inclines towards rebellion and revolt may turn away from it."

http://www.nahjulbalagha.org/Nahjul-Balagha-Sermons/nahjul-balagha-sermon-205.html
(edited 9 years ago)
Sermon 62(Nahjul Balagah): Surely, there is a strong protective shield of Allah...

When Amir al-mu'minin was warned of being killed by deceit, he said:ومن كلام له (عليه السلام)

لمّا خُوِّف من الغيلة

Surely, there is a strong protective shield of Allah over me. When my day would come it would get away from me and hand me over to death. At that time neither an arrow would go amiss nor a wound would heal up.وَإِنَّ عَلَيَّ مِنَ اللهِ جُنَّةً حَصِينةً، فَإِذَا جَاءَ يَوْمِي انْفَرَجَتْ عَنِّي وَأَسْلَمَتْنِي؛ فَحِينَئِذٍ لاَ يَطِيشُ السَّهْمُ وَلاَ يَبْرَأُ الْكَلْمُ.

Alternative Sources for Sermon 62

(1) Ibn Kathir, al-Bidayah, VIII, 12, from (2)
(2) Abu Dawud, Kitab al-qadar;
(3) al-'Amidi, Ghurar, 89;
(4) al-Zamakhshari, Rabi`, bab al-qatl wa al-shahadah.

Thank goodness that stupid thread is now closed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
Thank goodness that stupid thread is now closed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which one?

I've lost count of them
Original post by binarythoughts
Which one?

I've lost count of them

Lol.
'Muslims, would you marry a child'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty obvious baiting. I wish more people would ignore the topics completely and deprive them of the attention they are seeking. It's becoming very tedious to see the same old names appearing whenever topics critical of Islam are posted; as though they have nothing better to do than to criticise a religion on 1 community website that exists amongst countless others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Inve
Pretty obvious baiting. I wish more people would ignore the topics completely and deprive them of the attention they are seeking. It's becoming very tedious to see the same old names appearing whenever topics critical of Islam are posted; as though they have nothing better to do than to criticise a religion on 1 community website that exists amongst countless others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well said :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThatMuslimGuy

What's he gonna do when he goes in ruku or sujud? The wire's not long enough :beard::hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Inve

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not debating, but I made that thread and I want you all to know my intention wasn't "baiting." :smile:
Original post by HAnwar
Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankfully I missed that thread.
Original post by The_K1NG
Thankfully I missed that thread.

That's good.
How is the Dunya a deception for us muslims ? Surely you can have halal success in this world without being decieved ?
Original post by IMBCFC
How is the Dunya a deception for us muslims ? Surely you can have halal success in this world without being decieved ?

The dunya is regarded as deception because it's joys and amusements are temporary. Some people may sell their hereafter in order to gain success in this life and that is not liked.

But yes, you can have halal success in this world.
Original post by IMBCFC

Not entirely sure....but I'll give you my take on it.

It's to understand that this life is only temporary and that we shouldn't lose focus of the goal of life which is to please Allah swt first and foremost. It's to prevent us from putting all our efforts towards worldly gain such as amassing wealth, working constantly, playing games, etc while forgetting what's important such as praying, going to jummah, etc

It's not saying we can't work, etc but we should make sure that we do not neglect our faith in favour of the things in dunya.

Also check these links: http://muslimmatters.org/2010/05/12/eye-opening-words-in-the-quran-describing-the-life-of-this-world/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Js4mYE1oE
Original post by Inve
What would one consider a proper sufi? I have a friend and 2 work colleauges who are part of an order and they attend 'meffil/medfil' I think they are called. The hold the sheikh of the order in really high esteem. I think it is mainly about zikr and they share stories of the companions and chant. The chanting looks a little odd to me as am outsider. I have many muslim friends and the ones who practice sufism seem to have this continuous inner peace about them. You feel calmer just being stood next to them. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know how you would actually define one. What I have read though is that a lot of modern day sufis do of stuff which isn't Islamic in practice. For example their excessive dancing/twirling and asserting divine attributes to "holy men" etc ... Ah I've never attended one :redface: Zikr in itself is good but I feel that sometimes they go a bit too random in the videos I've seen :tongue: Ah thats cool.
[video="youtube;5GS7qMN8Pfk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GS7qMN8Pfk[/video]
Original post by HAnwar
That's good.

:yy:
Original post by Inve
It's becoming very tedious to see the same old names appearing whenever topics critical of Islam are posted
well, it would seem that a good part of those interested in Islam are highly critical of it
Original post by sharingan :)
What's he gonna do when he goes in ruku or sujud? The wire's not long enough :beard::hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol wonder how he managed it.

Latest

Trending

Trending