The Student Room Group

Regret doing my degree - any other mature students feel the same?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ftmshk
Many office workers have degrees! You definitely won't be over qualified. What you will need is some work experience so try and get something as soon as you can 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've already had several years experience working in an office environment before I started my degree and some during the summer before I attempted the PGCE.
Original post by gemmam
I've already had several years experience working in an office environment before I started my degree and some during the summer before I attempted the PGCE.

To be honest, you just sound generally negative - as soon as someone offers you some advice, you present a barrier as to why you can't or why it wont work...

My advice is to go to your university for post-graduate careers advice and see what your options are. In the mean time, keep plugging away at the jobs.
Reply 62
Original post by PrittyVacant
To be honest, you just sound generally negative - as soon as someone offers you some advice, you present a barrier as to why you can't or why it wont work...

My advice is to go to your university for post-graduate careers advice and see what your options are. In the mean time, keep plugging away at the jobs.

How is pointing out that I have previous experience in the kind of job I'm looking for being negative and presenting a barrier? :confused:

I contacted them last week; I was advised to take my result off my CV when applying for admin jobs. I told them that I was uncertain if I want to try the PGCE somewhere else in September and I was advised to try getting some related voluntary work.
It sounds as it you are magnifying the imperfections of your time studying, gemmam! The past is the past, anything you regret can't be changed. But to me, it seems you got many positive things out of it; a partner, good friends and a great qualification. You have options going forward that a lot of people don't have. If you don't like where it has taken you...that's one less path to take! Whatever you do next will be based on your experiences, good or bad.

There will likely be opportunities that arise in the future that you never expected. Don't focus too hard on landing a 'graduate job' in your chosen field. That's just one way to go that might not be for you anyway!
Reply 64
Original post by giant_frying_pan
It sounds as it you are magnifying the imperfections of your time studying, gemmam! The past is the past, anything you regret can't be changed. But to me, it seems you got many positive things out of it; a partner, good friends and a great qualification. You have options going forward that a lot of people don't have. If you don't like where it has taken you...that's one less path to take! Whatever you do next will be based on your experiences, good or bad.

There will likely be opportunities that arise in the future that you never expected. Don't focus too hard on landing a 'graduate job' in your chosen field. That's just one way to go that might not be for you anyway!

I'm not really fussed about getting a graduate job. I guess I'm feeling a bit down because the reason why I did the degree in the first place was because I wanted to get into teaching and that didn't work out (no fault of my own I've since discovered that the college has previously been in trouble for failing to deliver other HE courses properly). I have been in touch with a university about transferring and completeing the course there in September; I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jelly1000
What makes you say that? For a lot of jobs its not about the subject itself but the person overall- the skills and experience they have alongside the degree

For graduate jobs, the main thing is the degree classification. They often use filters to only let through those with 2.1 and above. This is often before a human looks at your application.
Original post by Juichiro
For graduate jobs, the main thing is the degree classification. They often use filters to only let through those with 2.1 and above. This is often before a human looks at your application.

True in some cases there is that additional layer, but for jobs that don't require a specific degree its the applicants experience and how they come across which helps them against all the others with 2:1's/1sts not the subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending