The Student Room Group

BBC Radio 1 chart show moving to Friday?!

After 50 years, the top 40 will no longer be aired on a Sunday..the chart will now take place during Friday's drive-time according to BBC News. Ok, it won't be starting until mid-July, but hey, I won't be able to listen to it anymore!

Will you continue to listen to the chart show? Will you be able to listen to the show?

What do you think of it?
Original post by Jeanlucpicard
After 50 years, the top 40 will no longer be aired on a Sunday..the chart will now take place during Friday's drive-time according to BBC News. Ok, it won't be starting until mid-July, but hey, I won't be able to listen to it anymore!

Will you continue to listen to the chart show? Will you be able to listen to the show?

What do you think of it?

I didn't use to listen to it anyway! as I don't like BBC Radio 1.

I have always kept up to date with music as the local stations air out "The Big Top 40 Show" - which has a real-time top 10, which means that you'll get the freshest top 10 available. And - it has more listeners than Radio 1's chart anyway.

So, in my opinion - it hasn't affected me one bit. And those who can't listen to the radio 1 chart show on a friday will more than likely switch to the Vodafone Big Top 40, which is on the commercial stations and is still going to be on a Sunday. :yep:
Original post by Jeanlucpicard

What do you think of it?

Seems a bit strange seeing as the official charts don't update until Sundays. The BBC aren't the only one with a chart show, so I can't imagine the official charts will now update on Fridays instead just because the BBC is moving their show to a Friday.

I suppose the BBC Radio 1 demographic probably suggests that a Friday evening is more appropriate for their chart show than a Sunday.
Original post by Reluire
Seems a bit strange seeing as the official charts don't update until Sundays. The BBC aren't the only one with a chart show, so I can't imagine the official charts will now update on Fridays instead just because the BBC is moving their show to a Friday.

I suppose the BBC Radio 1 demographic probably suggests that a Friday evening is more appropriate for their chart show than a Sunday.

If that is the case, and the Official Charts Company won't move the time that the chart is updated, then the chart will be almost a week old when the chart show is aired on a Friday? :confused:

If you still want to hear the chart then there are other stations that do other chart shows, and they will remain on a Sunday...
Original post by spotify95
If that is the case, and the Official Charts Company won't move the time that the chart is updated, then the chart will be almost a week old when the chart show is aired on a Friday? :confused:

If you still want to hear the chart then there are other stations that do other chart shows, and they will remain on a Sunday...

No what will happen is the music week will begin on Fridays and end on Thursdays, so we're in line with all other countries on release (with the exception of the USA and Canada, which still seem to release on Tuesdays in some cases). It will be much like it is now. Just on switchover week the chart will run from 12am Sunday-11.59pm Thursday.

It's basically to drag us into line with the rest of Europe as people are complaining about waiting months for a release date. Which tbh is quite a fair thing to say. There are some decent songs on the music channels atm, but they won't be appearing on Spotify for another month.

Quick Reply

Latest