The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
They vary. My school is on the cusp of 3 authorities and they are all different. Some have another week to go.

Original post by alabelle
Nope, I'm starting my placement next week! Good luck.

Ok thanks. I can't seem to find term dates on their website. I thought Easter was a bit like Christmas where the holidays are generally similar. I am off next week and am supposed to be away on the interview date, so it is a little annoying but oh well. I didn't think I'd get an interview so I'm quite pleased. I think my subject knowledge will let me down though.
Original post by Airfairy
I feel you. Uni tutor visits are my least favourite part of the entire course because they hold all the power! It always seems they are 95% criticism and 5% praise too

Posted from TSR Mobile

The lesson and uni observation didn't go well, just when I thought I was doing a good job. I made some blinding mistakes too. I tried my damn best to keep it together all day as I had another lesson(double year 9-my hardest class) as well.

One thing is for certain, I definitely want to teach and I don't care if I have a hundred bad lessons, I just wanted THIS particular lesson to go smooth :frown:
Eurgh, I don't know what's wrong with me today...

You know those days where nothing went necessarily wrong, but you still wonder if you're any good at this teaching lark :frown:
Got another interview today. Little confused because it is next week - I thought all schools would be on easter break next week?

Posted from TSR Mobile

well done for getting the interview! That's half the battle.

I don't break up till next wednesday :')
Original post by Samus2
Eurgh, I don't know what's wrong with me today...

You know those days where nothing went necessarily wrong, but you still wonder if you're any good at this teaching lark :frown:

Yeah....
Original post by Red Lightning
The lesson and uni observation didn't go well, just when I thought I was doing a good job. I made some blinding mistakes too. I tried my damn best to keep it together all day as I had another lesson(double year 9-my hardest class) as well.

One thing is for certain, I definitely want to teach and I don't care if I have a hundred bad lessons, I just wanted THIS particular lesson to go smooth :frown:

Oh no I'm sorry to hear that. What did your uni tutor say about it? I'm never sure how much rides on our uni observations. Surely they can't assess us 100% on those?
Original post by Samus2
well done for getting the interview! That's half the battle.

I don't break up till next wednesday :')

Thanks. I am quite interested in this job because it's part time which appeals to me. My application was absolutely awful though so I'm really surprised!
Oh no I'm sorry to hear that. What did your uni tutor say about it? I'm never sure how much rides on our uni observations. Surely they can't assess us 100% on those?

He discussed what went wrong and what went well, but to be honest, It feels as if I am not improving although I know that in reality I am, but its hard to shake off that negative feeling.
Eater Holiday can't come sooner.
I turned down an interview for a job yesterday, and now I am stressing that I made a mistake, and that I will be kicking myself if I don't get another one. Although, to be honest one of the main reasons I applied was because I don't have a car at the moment and it is close to where I live.

It was a single form Primary, in a reasonable area, that has been given RI by Ofsted more than once. They've had a lot of Head teachers in a short space of time, and I just had a feeling in my gut that it would be more work than I could handle as an NQT. The job description also said that the person who got the job would be a subject leader. I also felt like I don't have enough experience yet to do a good lesson interview, as I only just started my second placement yet, and it was in a Key Stage that I haven't taught before.

Maybe I should have gone for the experience, but I thought that if I did a really bad lesson it would totally knock my confidence, which isn't exactly crash hot at the moment. Feeling really confused and beating myself up right now :frown:

Also, will the uni/placement school check if I attended the interview? I decided at the last minute not to attend yesterday, after being up half the night worrying about it. My school is over 45 minutes away and I have to get a lift with another student who is at a nearby school. They had obviously already left, and there is very little public transport.
I'm getting sicker by the day. Today I've just been coughing every couple of minutes and my head is just awful. Now I think the snotty nose and sneezing is setting in and I still refuse to call in sick. I have a lesson observation tomorrow and I'm overdue since I missed last week's for an appointment so I really need to get it completed tomorrow.

I want to curl into a ball and cry a bit today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I'm getting sicker by the day. Today I've just been coughing every couple of minutes and my head is just awful. Now I think the snotty nose and sneezing is setting in and I still refuse to call in sick. I have a lesson observation tomorrow and I'm overdue since I missed last week's for an appointment so I really need to get it completed tomorrow.

I want to curl into a ball and cry a bit today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in the exact same boat. I've felt so run down today with a cold and felt like putting my head on the desk and sleeping but I have an observation tomorrow too. I am sitting in bed now with my laptop on my lap and still have no clue what I am going to teach.
Original post by bonniex123
I'm in the exact same boat. I've felt so run down today with a cold and felt like putting my head on the desk and sleeping but I have an observation tomorrow too. I am sitting in bed now with my laptop on my lap and still have no clue what I am going to teach.

I battled through when I was ill on my last placement and now I wished I hadnt. I was not performing at my best and would probably have felt better if I had just admitted I needed a day off! I'm not saying you should take days off if you can't afford to but make sure you look after yourself! :smile:
Original post by bonniex123

I think I'm going to have to admit defeat tomorrow :frown: take the day off if you need it too. Battling through helps nobody.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by adastraz
I turned down an interview for a job yesterday, and now I am stressing that I made a mistake, and that I will be kicking myself if I don't get another one. Although, to be honest one of the main reasons I applied was because I don't have a car at the moment and it is close to where I live.

It was a single form Primary, in a reasonable area, that has been given RI by Ofsted more than once. They've had a lot of Head teachers in a short space of time, and I just had a feeling in my gut that it would be more work than I could handle as an NQT. The job description also said that the person who got the job would be a subject leader. I also felt like I don't have enough experience yet to do a good lesson interview, as I only just started my second placement yet, and it was in a Key Stage that I haven't taught before.

Maybe I should have gone for the experience, but I thought that if I did a really bad lesson it would totally knock my confidence, which isn't exactly crash hot at the moment. Feeling really confused and beating myself up right now :frown:

Also, will the uni/placement school check if I attended the interview? I decided at the last minute not to attend yesterday, after being up half the night worrying about it. My school is over 45 minutes away and I have to get a lift with another student who is at a nearby school. They had obviously already left, and there is very little public transport.

I have backed out of an interview to so I feel your uncertainty!

I too am wondering if school will find out as I haven't told them yet. ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yet another day of feeling pretty poo about the whole thing.
I want to see this course through to the end even though I'm not going on to NQT but it's hard to keep up the enthusiasm for something I've decided not to do after the course.
Problem is, I don't know whether to tell my Placement school that I decided not to do my NQT, my mentor occasionally makes comment like "when you have your own class next year..." and I wonder whether I should correct her, or whether it'd just make things more uncomfortable as they could be like, well, why are we bothering with you then!
Original post by Ratchit99
Yet another day of feeling pretty poo about the whole thing.
I want to see this course through to the end even though I'm not going on to NQT but it's hard to keep up the enthusiasm for something I've decided not to do after the course.
Problem is, I don't know whether to tell my Placement school that I decided not to do my NQT, my mentor occasionally makes comment like "when you have your own class next year..." and I wonder whether I should correct her, or whether it'd just make things more uncomfortable as they could be like, well, why are we bothering with you then!

I have this issue! Whenever I get comments like that I just go along with them and don't say anything. Let me know if you do tell them the situation though. I love my mentor and she's very maternal, I'd love to tell her the truth but I worry they won't take me seriously anymore.
I have this issue! Whenever I get comments like that I just go along with them and don't say anything. Let me know if you do tell them the situation though. I love my mentor and she's very maternal, I'd love to tell her the truth but I worry they won't take me seriously anymore.

Ah, see i dont particularly like my placement 2 school and my mentor scares me as shes really stern. I figure telling them might just make the situation worse. Only 6 weeks left thank god!
Original post by adastraz

Obviously only you can decide but from what you've said it sounds like you've made a good choice. I've heard from several sources that an RI school is not a good place to be an NQT, not necessarily because its a 'worse' school but because the pressure and monitoring is so harsh that it just adds to the stress/workload plus stops you being allowed to try things out as an NQT, along with a lot less attention on supporting you. This is demonstrated already in the fact you'd have to be a subject leader, a role not normally given to NQTs unless the school is really small.

I really hate the whole experience of applying for jobs so I wouldn't go through it unless I really wanted a job.

The school might find out, if the heads or teachers are in touch. I would just mention it so you're covered. Someone is bound to ask how the interview went and you can say and explain then, and if not bring it up at lunch or something.

XXX

Posted from TSR Mobile
Called in sick :frown: my lungs crackle when I breathe and I've been up all night because everything hurts.

And I still feel guilty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just wanted to spread some positivity in here. I've been having a horribly stressful time lately but today (my birthday) I have been offered a job for September. 5 interviews have paid off...it's doable, guys!!

Now to actually pass the PGCE..
Advice please:

I have an interview next week for something I'm quite interested in . However it involves moving away and it's quite low hours.

Today I saw a job advertised that I also reallly interested in. It is in my town so I wouldn't have to move and it's more hours.

I'm in a dilemma. If I attend next week's interview and get offered it I won't want to turn it down. However I really want this newer job. Applications for that job don't shut for a month, so I don't even know if I'll get interviewed.

I don't know what to do! Should I not go to next week's interview in the hope that I'll get an interview for the newer job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending