The Student Room Group

Optometry Students 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Azzzman
Hi

I am a 2016 applicant but wanted to pick the brains of the 2015 folks

I currently have one week booked at Tesco Opticians for the summer. I also have 4 hours each week (starting next week) at a local franchise. Here, i can do as much as i want (and hoping it will eventually become paid)

I am also trying to get my primary and secondary school to let me in to help with the science classes.

I have also applied to a council ran youth club, to help with the 8 - 12 year old.

I am waiting to hear back from Royal Voluntary Service about helping out at my local hospital

Finally, i have applied to 3 eye hospitals, again for some unpaid work placement

This OK?

More than okay!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Azzzman
Hi

I currently have one week booked at Tesco Opticians for the summer. I also have 4 hours each week (starting next week) at a local franchise. Here, i can do as much as i want (and hoping it will eventually become paid)

I am also trying to get my primary and secondary school to let me in to help with the science classes.

I have also applied to a council ran youth club, to help with the 8 - 12 year old.

I am waiting to hear back from Royal Voluntary Service about helping out at my local hospital

Finally, i have applied to 3 eye hospitals, again for some unpaid work placement

This OK?

That sounds brilliant! :smile: Make sure you record all the different skills gained/knowledge learnt about optometry and the role of an optician as you go along, it will make writing your personal statement a lot easier!
anyone had/got an interview at manchester?
Original post by Azzzman
Hi

This OK?

That sounds really great- looks like you'll have a huge variety of work experience if all the placements go through! Just remember though, it's what you learn from them that's most important. And don't forget your extracurriculars- quirky stuff and showing that you're passionate about other interests is essential (especially if you're applying to Cardiff!) E.g. I did regular volunteering, badminton, Silver DofE, led the school Baking Society, Grade 8 piano and violin and played abroad and in weddings
Original post by JustaDreamer
Really liked it! And aw that's good :biggrin:

Oooh cool, have fun :biggrin: Hopefully Cardiff and Manchester once I finally get the guts to do it :lol:

Thanks! Ooh have you seen the Cardiff accomodation btw? Talybont looks so good!
Original post by landsofforever
Thanks! Ooh have you seen the Cardiff accomodation btw? Talybont looks so good!

Ah no I haven't :redface: Yep I've heard Taly is best/most popular, any particular Taly that you liked? :tongue:
Original post by chickenhaw
anyone had/got an interview at manchester?

Yes! I received an offer at the end of my interview mid December time :smile: I've accepted Manchester as my firm now
For Manchester folks - where is everyone staying? Anyone decided yet between the many choices of halls available?
Reply 948
Someone gave me this advice when I was applying to uni/thinking about firming my top choices and it really helped me so I'm sharing it and my own advice from my own experiences in the hope it will help others!
It is a common myth that Optometry is an easy alternative to medicine, this is not necessarily true, it is an intense course (at Manchester anyway, I don't know about other unis) and requires lots of effort! There is a large work load and lots of hours (don't be expecting days off) but it is really interesting and the hard work will pay off!
Manchester is an amazing city, the night life is great, plenty of great cheap nights out and club nights aimed at students. As for accommodation, Fallowfield is great, it's full of students and is thought of as the party centre; lots of local bars etc.
anyone done cardiff accommodation yet?
Reply 950
Does anyone know how lenient Aston and Manchester are on results day? I've heard Aston are more lenient with grades although they give a higher offer than Manchester but I'm not too sure. Want to put Aston as my firm but AAA is a bit of an ask :blushing:
Original post by Razza31
Does anyone know how lenient Aston and Manchester are on results day? I've heard Aston are more lenient with grades although they give a higher offer than Manchester but I'm not too sure. Want to put Aston as my firm but AAA is a bit of an ask :blushing:

Aston in their open day talk said they are quite lenient with their grades and have accepted people with ABB as well, however i don't think Manchester are lenient
Has anyone received an offer from Hertfordshire ? Or firmed Herts ?☺️
If anyone needs any help for Manchester - feel free to get in contact although I may be a bit slow in replying as I am busy with uni work! I am currently in my second year! :smile:
Original post by nadinehay18
Has anyone received an offer from Hertfordshire ? Or firmed Herts ?☺️

Yh got an offer, did you? Thinking of insuring it :smile:
Reply 955
Has anyone firmed Aston yet? Which accomadation Are you looking at staying at? And for anyone who is already there is Aston university boring because it seems small
anyone know how lenient plymouth are on results day?? got an offer of 3As thinking of firming it but was wondering if anyone knew how lenient theyve been in the past urgent
Original post by sushibabee
If anyone needs any help for Manchester - feel free to get in contact although I may be a bit slow in replying as I am busy with uni work! I am currently in my second year! :smile:

Hey! Sorry to bother you, you're probably busy revising for your exams right now, but i was wondering what first year exams are like? During my interview day i was told that all Life Sciences students do the same modules in their first year, do Optom students do extra modules specific to Optometry too?
Sorry again haha, im just confused
Original post by Azzzman
For Manchester folks - where is everyone staying? Anyone decided yet between the many choices of halls available?

Hey😊
Ive applied for Richmond Park, Sheavyn House and Denmark Road - in that order of preference.
Really wish i get one of the halls in fallowfield, ive been told its the best place to be for your first year!
Original post by JanviPatel
Hey! Sorry to bother you, you're probably busy revising for your exams right now, but i was wondering what first year exams are like? During my interview day i was told that all Life Sciences students do the same modules in their first year, do Optom students do extra modules specific to Optometry too?
Sorry again haha, im just confused

Hey, yeh sorry this is going to have to be a really quick reply but:

- First year: You do modules other courses also do e.g. Body Systems. A lot of courses will relate to the module so back when I was doing it there must have been a lecture theatre full of 500 people. Along with the modules you share with other courses you DO have modules specific to Optometry e.g. Optometric Examination A and Dispensing A.

- Second and Third Year - we do not do any modules with other courses and this is where every module is specifically for Optometry students.

Quick Reply

Latest