The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tory88
That's excellent news! Even if you do decide to leave teaching it's still great to know it was definitely your choice, and that you obviously made a lot of progress over the year. Well done!

Pick on or two things that you really care about - if I were you it would be talking when someone else is talking (my pet hate). Start the lesson by saying you were really unhappy with how much it happened last time, and that you don't expect it to happen at all in the lesson. If it does (and it will), give on verbal warning and then come down as hard as possible - either throw the pupil out or give them a short detention (just something like "e'll have to have a discussion after school about why you think that's acceptable). The verbal warnign should give a choice - "if you do that again we're going to have to have a chat after school". I also find it useful to run informal 10-minute detention after the lesson if it runs into break, lunch or after school - they're way more effective than it feels like they should be.

That's how I approached a year 8 class I'd completely lost in my first placement anyway - it took 3 or 4 lessons where I had an awful lot of pupils in detention, but then they got the message.

Thank you :smile: it is definitely a nice thing to hear and I feel a weight off knowing I'm doing okay.
Original post by kpwxx
Pupil premium is a slightly broader group. It includes FSM pupils but also pupils who used to be FSM within a certain number of years (5, I think). There is a name for this category but I can't remember it... Also I seem to recall something about children in care automatically being pp as well, but I'm not sure about that bit! Basically pupil premium are the children who get the extra funding, and they don't take that away as soon as a family's income passes the threshold.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's six years right? It's called Ever 6 if we are thinking of the same thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Striving92
The children who are on pupil premium- are they also children entitled to free school meals? Are fsm and pp chn interchangeable? I know all primary kids up to yr 3 are now having free school meals but before this

The pupil premium is paid in respect of students who have claimed free school meals* at some point in the last six years - the DfE works two terms in arrears so it can even be longer ago than this. Students who are continuously Looked After by the local authority for more than 6 months are also PP as well as certain adopted children. There is also a Service Premium for students who have a parent serving in the Armed Forces. Finally there is a Catch-Up Premium in Year 7 for students who did not achieve Level 4 at the end of Year 6 in the externally marked components of their National Tests in English and/or maths.

* A claim must have been made so the current free provision for all is likely to seriously reduce the amount of PP that is paid to schools in the future
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Airfairy
Thank you :smile: it is definitely a nice thing to hear and I feel a weight off knowing I'm doing okay.

It's six years right? It's called Ever 6 if we are thinking of the same thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes ever6!!! The poster above gave a muj more thorough explanation. I remember a staff meeting where they explained it all to us as almost no one at the school new the difference. I was in nursery though so I didn't have yo actually consider it for my children. I also found the whole idea of giving an advantage to certain children really hard to come to terms with, even though I know its in place to counter other disadvantages...

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
I also found the whole idea of giving an advantage to certain children really hard to come to terms with, even though I know its in place to counter other disadvantages...

The policy is crude in that some students who are no longer disadvantaged are labelled as such but, treating the cohort as a whole, Pupil Premium funding only goes a small way towards ensuring a slightly more level playing field. It certainly does not confer an advantage or there wouldn't still be a massive attainment gap.

John Dunford, our Pupil Premium "Champion", often uses the thought-provoking statistic that Looked After Children are more likely to go to prison than university.
I have so much work to do for tomorrow.

*buries head in sand*
Original post by ParadoxSocks

*buries head in sand*

Know the feeling, my lessons are planned but i need to make the resources for them :frown: have to make a worksheet on querying databases :frown:
Original post by Mr M
The policy is crude in that some students who are no longer disadvantaged are labelled as such but, treating the cohort as a whole, Pupil Premium funding only goes a small way towards ensuring a slightly more level playing field. It certainly does not confer an advantage or there wouldn't still be a massive attainment gap.

John Dunford, our Pupil Premium "Champion", often uses the thought-provoking statistic that Looked After Children are more likely to go to prison than university.

I always found the service premium an odd one, my daughters junior school claimed hers as we were both serving RAF but she was miles ahead of her class and never had any issues settling in when we moved around. I found that to be the case with 99% of service kids. I guess at least there was extra money in the pot to help out the ones who did need it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

*buries head in sand*

Original post by Ratchit99
Know the feeling, my lessons are planned but i need to make the resources for them :frown: have to make a worksheet on querying databases :frown:

Same. I used to be organised and planned a week in advance but then over Easter I fell ridiculously behind so now I'm planning one or two days in advance. I really need to catch up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in the same boat as you, I start placement tomorrow and my lessons have been planned for weeks but I haven't made my resources yet! Oops!

I'm finding it's taking me a long time :frown: there's a lot of pre-made stuff out there but it's tough finding stuff that's relevant and even then it needs editing and differentiating. Frustrating!

Excited about starting my placement though :smile: had a rubbish time last time and determined to turn it around this time!
Original post by alabelle
I'm in the same boat as you, I start placement tomorrow and my lessons have been planned for weeks but I haven't made my resources yet! Oops!

I'm finding it's taking me a long time :frown: there's a lot of pre-made stuff out there but it's tough finding stuff that's relevant and even then it needs editing and differentiating. Frustrating!

Excited about starting my placement though :smile: had a rubbish time last time and determined to turn it around this time!

I usually make my own using guidance from other stuff.
Im dreading going back, i dont want to be on this course any more but theres 5 weeks left of placement so im trying to stick it out :frown:

Ugh. Databases are one of the hardest thing to teach.

Still struggling with spreadsheets for year 7s. They just can't get their head around why we would use one :frown:
Ugh. Databases are one of the hardest thing to teach.

Still struggling with spreadsheets for year 7s. They just can't get their head around why we would use one :frown:

I got mine to use ready made models to help them get the idea, so like a sweet shop where they had to use their formula and function knowledge to create the model for their shops (gives them a real life scenario). Then i could develop on that model to get them to do what if questioning on their model.
Also i tended to ask them how they could use what they learnt to do something and apply that to a real life scenario, so why might a teacher use if statements in a spreadsheet...gives them part of the answer but then gets them to consider the answer and develop it further.
Yeah databases are awful, I hate ms access so Im basically staying a week ahead because its not something I use.

You start a new placement tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laura.a.c265
I always found the service premium an odd one, my daughters junior school claimed hers as we were both serving RAF but she was miles ahead of her class and never had any issues settling in when we moved around. I found that to be the case with 99% of service kids. I guess at least there was extra money in the pot to help out the ones who did need it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, the problem with is is that your daughters teacher would then have had to prove/evidence how they were using that money specifically to benefit her.

I just feel instinctually that if I'm providing extra support or opportunities in any way I should be offering them to as many of the children that would benefit from them as possible, regardless of their families income... It should be needs based, where you meet every child's needs, rather than money based. The money following the children so schools with lower income pupils get more overall is fine, as that is likely to be where the money is most needed. But there are always exceptions to the rule and having to evidence how specifically those children benefit is a hindrance to teachers supporting children who need it most- I feel it should be more general... You say these opportunities were created by pp funding, all children who needed them received them, and that should be enough. Or that's how I felt at least.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
You start a new placement tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep! I've met the class and the teacher already but don't start the placement til tomorrow. I'm on placement now solidly until July.
Yep! I've met the class and the teacher already but don't start the placement til tomorrow. I'm on placement now solidly until July.

God i would love to have a fresh start but with 5 weeks left i was told there isnt much point...
God i would love to have a fresh start but with 5 weeks left i was told there isnt much point...

Oh I haven't asked to change schools or anything... this is just how the block placements work at my uni. Our placements run for 3 weeks in November, 3 weeks in Jan/Feb and 12 weeks from April-July. 2 weeks of the final placement are 'enhancement weeks' though so you only work as a TA.

edit: I am viewing it very much as a fresh start though. Things were really difficult on my last placement and I wasn't very happy by the end. This is like an opportunity to start from a clean page and be more organised. :smile:

Speaking of which, does anyone have any advice for me at all? Despite some negativity I love teaching and really want to succeed on my next placement. I seem to struggle with organisation the most so any tips at all (no matter how basic) could be handy. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Oh interesting. I didn't think you'd be able to start planning yet!

Good luck anyway. It is nice to have a fresh start.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got mine to use ready made models to help them get the idea, so like a sweet shop where they had to use their formula and function knowledge to create the model for their shops (gives them a real life scenario). Then i could develop on that model to get them to do what if questioning on their model.
Also i tended to ask them how they could use what they learnt to do something and apply that to a real life scenario, so why might a teacher use if statements in a spreadsheet...gives them part of the answer but then gets them to consider the answer and develop it further.
Yeah databases are awful, I hate ms access so Im basically staying a week ahead because its not something I use.

Tried all of that. All I'm getting is ones saying "but I'm really smart and can just do the maths" or "but this is hard and pointless". My other class is fine with it but this one class just want to drive me mad I swear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh interesting. I didn't think you'd be able to start planning yet!

Good luck anyway. It is nice to have a fresh start.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're expected to plan a week in advance. We have to have our first week's planning approved by our uni tutor and class teacher before the placement can begin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending