The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by killa78
MashaAllah,

YEah, I undertook his Arabic course but have fallen horribly behind due to uni. It's abit too difficult to do online as well.

Thinking to take some supplementary classes iA

The 2 yr one yeah? I'm doin in too.

insha'Allah

I thought you finished uni.
Original post by Ibn Fulaan
The 2 yr one yeah? I'm doin in too.

insha'Allah

I thought you finished uni.

Really!? Woooow, small world.

Basically, I got none of grammar in the second semester loool. Do you go to the classes live?

Just getting this postgrad out the way soon iA!
Reply 9302
Original post by killa78

Basically, I got none of grammar in the second semester loool. Do you go to the classes live?

I was gna do it too except I know I wouldn't be good at online studying.
Original post by killa78

You've got your work cut out loool that sarf is a killer

When it's in london i can make it when it's in oxford no way

Ah cool subhanAllah. What are you studying
(edited 8 years ago)
You've got your work cut out loool that sarf is a killer

When it's in london i can make it when it's in oxford no way

Ah cool subhanAllah.

Haven't started semester 3 yet, im too scared :lol:

Everyone in the class is so advanced compared to me though, it's not funny. It's actually pretty demoralising :sad:
Original post by Tpos

Are you still doing logical progression?
Original post by Tpos

Yeah, I'd recommend doing a local course of the Arabic basics first - potentially at As Suffa?

Then you can expand further iA :biggrin:
Original post by killa78
Haven't started semester 3 yet, im too scared :lol:

Everyone in the class is so advanced compared to me though, it's not funny. It's actually pretty demoralising :sad:

Akhi, we've got to make sacrifices like the shaykh said.

Yeah when his daughter gets something right and your just sitting there like wut.

Tbh it's all in the revsion.
Vote Labour
Akhi, we've got to make sacrifices like the shaykh said.

Yeah when his daughter gets something right and your just sitting there like wut.

Tbh it's all in the revsion.

His 6 year old is better than me at life.

I think she's there as a confidence booster but really, she's amazing mashaAllah :lol:
Ibraaheem bin Adham (rahimahullaah) said:

It reached me that Umar bin Abd al-Azeez (rahimahullaah) said to Khaalid bin Safwaan (rahimahullaah), “Admonish me,” so Khaalid said, “O Chief of the Believers, there are a people who have been deceived by Allah’s veiling of [their sins] and good praise (of them) has put them to trial. Thus, do not let the ignorance of others of you overwhelm your knowledge of your own self. May Allah protect us and you from being deceived by Allah’s veiling (of our sins), and from being pleased with the praise of the people, and from falling short and being neglectful in what Allah has obligated upon us, and from inclining to the desires.” So he (Umar bin Abd al-Azeez) cried and said, “May Allah protect us and you from following desires.”

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tehFrance
أهلاً و سهلاً

So I converted to Islam, my SO doesn't know as she 'left' Islam but I was required to learn about Islam for he family... Go figure :rolleyes:

Anyway, how does one deal with temptation of past life, pork, alcohol etc... I was a dreadful Jew but I want to be a good Muslim, again go figure :rolleyes:

My life is just WTF :lol: so how do I deal with those temptations? :smile:

مع السلامة (I think).

are you actually being serious? wowww
Reply 9312
Are you still doing logical progression?

Ermm

Spoiler

I almost regretted not doing an open university course cuz it would've been cheaper but I know I'd be awful at online studying so it would still be a waste of money.
(edited 8 years ago)
Salam,
I was wondering if there were any I-SOC events this summer, or a trip or any sort of activities?
أحمد بن إدريس، عن محمد بن عبد الجبار، عن صفوان بن يحيى، عن فضيل ابن عثمان، عن ابن أبي يعفور قال: سألت أبا عبد الله عليه السلام عن قول الله عز وجل: " هو الاول والآخر " وقلت: أما الاول فقد عرفناه وأما الآخر فبين لنا تفسيره فقال: إنه ليس شئ إلا يبيد أو يتغير، أو يدخله التغير والزوال، أو ينتقل من لون إلى لون، ومن هيئة إلى هيئة، ومن صفة إلى صفة، ومن زيادة إلى نقصان، ومن نقصان إلى زيادة إلا رب العالمين فإنه لم يزل ولا يزال بحالة واحدة، هو الاول قبل كل شئ وهو الآخر على ما لم يزل، ولا تختلف عليه الصفات والاسماء كما تختلف على غيره، مثل الانسان الذي يكون ترابا مرة، ومرة لحما ودما، ومرة رفاتا و رميما، وكالبسر الذي يكون مرة بلحا، ومرة بسرا، ومرة رطبا، ومرة تمرا، فتتبدل عليه الاسماء والصفات والله عز وجل بخلاف ذلك.

Ahmad b. Idris from Muhammad b. `Abd al-Jabbar from Safwan b. Yahya from al-Fadl b. `Uthman from ibn Abi Ya`foor.

He said: I asked Abu `Abdillah عليه السلام about the saying of Allah عز وجل,
He is the First and the Last” (57:3). And I said: As for [the meaning of] “the First”, we know it; but as for “the Last” elucidate its interpretation for us.

So he said: It is that there is no thing except that it can perish or be changed; or be susceptible to alteration or disappearance; or shift from one colour to another and from one shape to another and from one quality to another; or from abundant to lacking and from lacking to abundant except for the Lord of the worlds; for He is unceasing and unhalting in His solitary state. He is the First before all things, and He is the Last and does not cease. [His] qualities and His names do not change as they change for other than Him; like the humans who were dust at a time, and flesh and blood at a time, and corpses and powder at a time and like a date that was raw at a time, and ripe at a time, and dry at a time, and then a date. Its names and qualities change, and Allah عز وجل is different from that.
(al-Kafi, Volume 1, hadith 309)

(sahih) (صحيح)
(edited 8 years ago)
A dua recited every Thursday by muslims in the shia-school of thought.

[video="youtube;58C7efLec5M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58C7efLec5M[/video]

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

O Allah! Bless
Muhammad and his progeny.

O Allah! I beseech Thee by Thy mercy which encompasses all things

And by Thy power by which Thou overcometh all things and submit to it all things and humble before it all things

And by Thy might by which Thou hast conquered all things

And by Thy majesty against which nothing can stand up

And by Thy grandeur which prevails upon all things

And by Thy authority which is exercised over all things

And by Thy own self that shall endure forever after all things have vanished

And by Thy Names which manifest Thy power over all things

Andby Thy knowledge which pervades allthings

And by the light of Thy countenance which illuminates everything

O Thou who art the light! O Thou who art the most holy! O Thou who existed beforethe foremost! O Thou who shall existafter the last!

Full Dua + translation:
http://albatool-fatima.com/Supplications/dua-e-kumayl.pdf
(edited 8 years ago)
The dua recited in English, all praise belongs to Allah swt, this is simply breath-taking

[video="youtube;ZxoqPeV_Fcs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxoqPeV_Fcs[/video]
Reply 9317
Original post by Tawheed

Out of curiosity, in the hadith where Ali (RA) speaks of this dua, it doesn't include the final bit about the imams, does it (rather that's an addition)?
Original post by Ruh
Out of curiosity, in the hadith where Ali (RA) speaks of this dua, it doesn't include the final bit about the imams, does it (rather that's an addition)?

A speech by a respected speaker in the ahlul sunnah wal jamaah.

[video="youtube;EsES-F_ySeM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsES-F_ySeM[/video]

Peace be with you,

In many hadiths we are told before making dua's to send blessings upon Muhammed pbuh and his ahlulbayt a.s (shia hadith books)

The shia view with regards to who is the ahlulbayt a.s are Muhammed pbuh, Fatima a.s, Ali a.s, Hassan a.s , Hussein a.s and the chosen descendents who preserve the sunnah of Muhammed pbuh, ending with Imam Mahdi a.s as the twelfth.

Whether that was added or not i'll ask, but it's recommended to in several saheeh hadiths to send blessings on Muhammed pbuh and his ahlulbayt a.s, irregardless.

To give you a fully balanced explanation:

Narrated Aisha:
One day the Prophet (S) came out afternoon wearing a black cloak (upper garment or gown; long coat), then al-Hasan Ibn ‘Ali came and the Prophet accommodated him under the cloak, then al-Husayn came and entered the cloak, then Fatimah came and the Prophet entered her under the cloak, then ‘Ali came and the Prophet entered him to the cloak as well. Then the Prophet recited: "Verily Allah intends to keep off from you every kind of uncleanness O’ People of the House (Ahlul-Bayt), and purify you a perfect purification (the last sentence of Verse 33:33)."
Sahih Muslim

With regards to the latter portion of verse 33:33, there is not a single hadith in existence in any authentic books i have found where the Ahlulbayt a.s are referred to as other than these five. Yes, Ahlulbayt in the wider context can mean family, but it is here where we have the more exclusive ahlulbayt, a separate group given a separate distinction.

Sahih Bukhari: "It was said, "O Allah’s Apostle! We know how to greet you, but how to invoke Allah for you?”The Prophet said, "Say: O Allah! Send your blessings/greetings (Salawat) on Muhammad and his family,.."

Additionally, we take the exclusive group of the ahlulbayt a.s as those who preserve the Sunnah, as Muhammed pbuh in one of his last mass speeches to the Ummah gave instructions as to the two precious things we must hold - the Quran and the Ahlulbayt a.s The word precious denotes value, and not the erroneous conclusion of simply looking after, but as a source of guidance and that best fits the context.

"Someday (after his last pilgrimage) the Messenger of Allah (S) stood to give us a speech beside a pond which is known as Khum (Ghadir Khum) which is located between Mecca and Medina. Then he praised Allah and reminded Him, and then said: "O’ people! Behold! It seems the time approached when I shall be called away (by Allah) and I shall answer that call. Behold! I am leaving for you two precious things. First of them is the book of Allah in which there is light and guidance...The other one is my Ahlul-Bayt. I remind you in the name of Allah about my Ahlul-Bayt. I remind you in the name of Allah about my Ahlul-Bayt. I remind you in the name of Allah about my Ahlul-Bayt. (three times)."
Sahih Muslim,

So to summarise:
1. The only hadiths inwhich a group of people are attributed to the latter of verse 33:33 are the hadiths which only exclusively include Ali a.s, Hasan a.s Hussein a.s Fatima a.s, with the leader Muhammed pbuh. No other group is ever included in this verse, and it's relevant because it restricts the meaning of ahlulbayt a.s to it's contexual meaning i.e while ahlulbayt has a wider meaning, Allah swt here is giving recognition of perfect purification only to a select group.

2. The only authentic hadith in the sihah-al-sitta where Muhammed pbuh states he is leaving behind two things is the Quran and the Ahlulbayt a.s. The word precious denotes something of value, of guidance. If Muhammed pbuh had meant 'look after my family' he could have said it to the banu-hashim, to the men , in a smaller gathering. Furthermore, again when using the word 'two precious' or 'two weighty things' they denote value, guidance, a source to grab and are what we adhere to in the absence of Muhammed pbuh, and is juxtaposed next to the Quran. This is a clear indication where to obtain his true sunnah from.

3. In Salawat it is improper to only send blessings to Muhamme pbuh - his ahlulbayt a.s , the chosen restricted group given distinction by Allah swt and not the wider meaning of ahlulbayt a.s , and other hadiths state to recite salawat before making a dua

4. The chosen of the ahlulbayt who we must hold fast to are the ones we must send -blessings on, the ones Muhammed pbuh meant when he said 'I leave behind two things - the Quran and the Ahlulbayt a.s' and the ones who were referred to in the latter portion of verse 33:33 where Allah swt states : "
Allah only desires to keep away the uncleanness from you, O people of the House! and to purify you a (thorough) purifying."

As the Ahlulbayt a.s and the purified descendents(Imams a.s) who preserve the sunnah are included in all of this, we recite salawat on them i.e Muhammed pbuh and his family
(edited 8 years ago)

Al Kafi- 1938–6. al-Ḥusayn ibn Muḥammad (–) Aḥmad ibn Isḥãq (–) Bakr ibn Muḥammad al-Azdī that Abū ‘Abdillãh (‘a.s) said:

"The Messenger of Allãh (ṣ.a.‘a.w.a.w.s.) said: "Allãh, to Whom belong Might and Majesty, said: 'The most envious of My friends before me is a believing servant endowed with goodness; worships well his Lord and worships Allãh in secret. He is unknown among people and not famous; his subsistence is just sufficient and he forebears it; his death comes soon and he leaves little inheritance; and those who cry for him are few.'
Saheeh - Graded by Alama Majlisi

[video="youtube;56n0UzjH5w8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56n0UzjH5w8[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending