The Student Room Group

Laurie Penny defends war memorial vandalism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theroyalwhigs
While I think it's chavvy to disgrace a war memorial, I sympathise with people who think that war memorials are wrong. We shouldn't be celebrating 'war' as something positive, should we? Wars also usually have someone on the other end who may get offended, so they restrict political freedom too.

People should think of other methods to respect the dead. Since most soldiers are christian, maybe limiting 'memorials' to 'well-funded' cemeteries is a good idea.

Couldn't agree more. I'll **** on the Lockerbie and Dunblane Memorials.

Or alternatively I'll grow the **** up, act like an adult and not trash memorials for what ever reason they're there.

Ever been to the Menim gate? Hardly a celebration.
I feel like current war memorials are slightly partisan. In Japan they have war memorials which simply 'respects all dead, regardless of which side they were fighting on' - I believe we should to the same.

I would rather we limited the memorials to the commemoration of the dead.

Instead of building monuments "against nazism" or "against communism" or "for the jews", we should simply respect the dead. So I would probably be more likely to fund an architect to design some well designed cemetery - we forced you to fight and this is our forgiveness.

What a load of ****e Japan take that view because they know that their ancestors were the ones that were in the wrong and their actions don't deserve any praise.

The Nazi's and their allies were as close to "evil" as possible and yes while some of their men were roped into it and weren't necessary evil, there were just as many who knew just what they were doing and their lives don't deserve to be remembered.

So for them yes war was "stupid" but for the allied soldiers who sacrificed themselves to help others and to fight against tyranny and evil they deserve to have their actions and their noble deeds celebrated as if they hadn't bothered to fight in this "stupid war" then the world would be a very different and far darker place.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Couldn't agree more. I'll **** on the Lockerbie and Dunblane Memorials.

Or alternatively I'll grow the **** up, act like an adult and not trash memorials for what ever reason they're there.

Ever been to the Menim gate? Hardly a celebration.

:rolleyes: Try to read all my posts on this thread... I'm not supporting what she did, I'm saying that there are more progressive ways of remembering war-dead.
Original post by Shabalala
What a load of ****e Japan take that view because they know that their ancestors were the ones that were in the wrong and their actions don't deserve any praise.

Whatever the reason behind it, I support that stance when it comes to war memorials. Take a non-partisan, neutral perspective on the war, and commemorate the dead.

Leave politics to the debating chamber.
:rolleyes: Try to read all my posts on this thread... I'm not supporting what she did, I'm saying that there are more progressive ways of remembering war-dead.

Like the national abrateum?

Those statues that the shouty minority despise so much were financed by public donations from a public who twice went through wars that impacted the population in ways we can't comprehend.

My grandmother took more incoming raising her family than I did in three tours in Afghanistan.

What happened yesterday was some f**ktard with a spray can demonstrating their contempt for society.

How many vulnerable families could the clean up operation have helped out?
While I think it's chavvy to disgrace a war memorial, I sympathise with people who think that war memorials are wrong. We shouldn't be celebrating 'war' as something positive, should we?

We should, however, be celebrating how people willingly gave up their lives to fight against oppression.
Hanging would be too good for her
Original post by Pwyll
No idea who that guy is but his comment about women suggests he isn't aware of the fact that without the votes of women there'd have been no Tory governments between 1945 and 1979.

ironically he was supposed to be studying History at Cambridge... :confused:
The graffiti on this public war memorial achieves little more than making the protesters come across as a clueless, immature, teenage vandals (as will defending it). Make a placard and deface that instead. :rolleyes:
Original post by Dandaman1
The graffiti on this public war memorial achieves little more than making the protesters come across as a clueless, immature, teenage vandals (as will defending it). Make a placard and deface that instead. :rolleyes:

What's the bet it was a middle class kid who's going through a rebellion stage?
Original post by MatureStudent36
What's the bet it was a middle class kid who's going through a rebellion stage?

I wager three pieces of silver.
Original post by ArtGoblin
I don't care when war memorials get vandalised or otherwise 'disrespected'. I just don't understand why people get so angry about it. I don't think the graffiti was helpful in any way to the cause but at least their intentions were good. There is nothing praiseworthy about defending a piece of stone over the most vulnerable people in this country.

How on earth were their intentions good? Why should you vandalise a war memorial which represents those who died in the war, and is nothing to do with the Conservative Party?
1) I'm not supporting what that person did. I haven't read the article properly and I'm not saying what the protester did was right.

2) I just feel uneasy about something that's close to celebrating war.

This is why I'm promoting 'special' cemeteries for commemorating the war-dead. They specifically target the soldiers and civilians and, in a way, are an apology for being forced to fight and die.

I'm not promoting 'Japan's culture of celebrating all war dead' because I support Japan in WW2, I'm promoting it because it's less partisan and more sympathetic.

Memorials should focus on the war-dead, and talk about how dying for a stupid war is wrong. They should try to be as neutral as possible.

On my local war memorial it says "lest we forget"

War memorials are not only to respect the dead it's also to make sure we never forget the horrors of war, so we will not repeat out mistake. They are reminders of what went on back then and all that had been sacrificed.

a 'special' cemetery doesn't fit the purpose of these memorials.
Original post by jameswhughes
How on earth were their intentions good? Why should you vandalise a war memorial which represents those who died in the war, and is nothing to do with the Conservative Party?

The intention was to show solidarity with those who will be affected by the Conservative government. People who are living and are going to suffer because of this governments policies. People who died in the war don't need that right now. They already have respect. The graffiti wasn't done with the intention to dishonour those involved in the war effort - it done there because someone was angry in that particular place. It being a war memorial was irrelevant to them, and it is irrelevant to me.
The intention was to show solidarity with those who will be affected by the Conservative government. People who are living and are going to suffer because of this governments policies. People who died in the war don't need that right now. They already have respect. The graffiti wasn't done with the intention to dishonour those involved in the war effort - it done there because someone was angry in that particular place. It being a war memorial was irrelevant to them, and it is irrelevant to me.

It was daubed on by a prat.

Would it be 'irrelevant' to you if one of them lashed out and punched a passerby who was wearing a suit and looked like a Tory? I mean, they were just angry and expressing their frustrations with a Tory government, right?
Reply 36
https://youtu.be/oj9dA6E3fJw

Never seen someone get destroyed so bad as Penny.
Original post by Lady Comstock
Would it be 'irrelevant' to you if one of them lashed out and punched a passerby who was wearing a suit and looked like a Tory? I mean, they were just angry and expressing their frustrations with a Tory government, right?

Eh, no. That actually causes someone harm - this doesn't.

Well, you seem to think that criminality and general thuggery is perfectly acceptable in the guise of Tory hate.

Whitehall is a long avenue of buildings with tons of space for graffiti on it. And they chose the Women of WW2 memorial? Why not Marshal Haig's statue? That at least would have had some sense to it. Or the surrounding buildings?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending