The Student Room Group

Student finance - residency issues

I have a friend, who's looking to obtain student finance. she needs to provide evidence of set dates 1/9/11 - 14/10/11

She is foreign but has lived in the country since she was 3, she's now 22, but doesn't actually have a British citizenship. She has proof she was in the country before these dates and after but for this time period she doesn't.
She had turned 18 so child tax credits had stopped, she had also finished college so there no proof she was apart of anything. And also didn't have a job at the time.

I don't understand why these dates are so specific when she can show proof of living here prior to it.

She has sent several amounts evidence, even a bank statement from that time which they accepted but they need more as it could have been 'someone else using the card'.
She's needs the maintenance loan to pay for her rent.

She studies nursing so the bursary pays her, but student finance won't accept evidence she provides.

Is there no loop hole? Or someone she could contact to help sort her situation out? It doesn't really make any sense. A flawed system. I understand that they need to be careful with who they give money too. But if you're on a full time course I can't see why it's so strict.

Any ideas ? Or evidence she could provide?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Was she registered with a doctor or dentist? Did she visit them in that time? Did she claim benefits? Did she pay Council Tax? Where was she living - did she rent in her own right or appear on her parents' rent agreement? Did she pay any utility bills like gas, electricity etc? Was she a member of a library and borrowed books, CDs during that period?

Must admit, I'm not quite sure why SF are going back that far. If her course starts this September, then she should only have to prove that she's been ordinarily resident in the UK since early September 2012.

Plus original paper bank statements are clearly stated as being an acceptable proof of residency for SF, so I think she ought to go back and query their rejection.
(edited 8 years ago)
Have they stated what type of evidence they want? I would, as above, get evidence such as where I was registered for doctors, etc.
Original post by Klix88
Was she registered with a doctor or dentist? Did she visit them in that time? Did she claim benefits? Did she pay Council Tax? Where was she living - did she rent in her own right or appear on her parents' rent agreement? Did she pay any utility bills like gas, electricity etc? Was she a member of a library and borrowed books, CDs during that period?

Must admit, I'm not quite sure why SF are going back that far. If her course starts this September, then she should only have to prove that she's been ordinarily resident in the UK since early September 2012.

Plus original paper bank statements are clearly stated as being an acceptable proof of residency for SF, so I think she ought to go back and query their rejection.

Sorry for replying late, we tried looking for benefits, the month she applied for was August to sept, she need October to November.
Her name may be on the rent agreement but she didn't pay rent, she had just turned 18. Her school
Only had evidence until June. I asked her about council tax but nothing as of yet. They're extremely picky, they said they need more then bank evidence. It's beyond a joke!
Her course started last September, the woman on the phone said someone else cause have just used her bank account 😑.

Totally stupid she's got proof of being here 19 years bar one month, I mean it's actually ridiculous. A totally ****ed up system. Policy's are garbage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
what happened if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by Alilio123
what happened if you dont mind me asking?

This is a 3 year old thread which I'm going to close now.

Latest

Trending

Trending