The Student Room Group

Torn between being a Pilot and applying to Welbeck?

My dream at the moment is to become a fast-jet Pilot in the RAF, if not I hope the Sea King SAR returns.
I am fully aware that it is a career for the elite, but if those guys could do it then i don't see why I can't try.

I am joining Air Cadets this year, i am currently waiting for the next squadron recruitment event, i am also joining a rugby club and there is a possiblilty of another extra-curricular activity depending on the amount of time I have. At university i think I'm going to volunteer as a St Johns Ambulance Youth Leader to try to stand out and i am certain that I will join the University Air Squadron when I can and earning an Engineering degree.

However, i think the best college for me to attend is Welbeck DSFC. By bording I will be able to fully focus on inproving myself futher as an individual, academically and physically- these are essential for an Officer Candidate. I am very practical, technology being one of my stronger subjects, science also, my current work in progress is maths but i will achieve at least a B at GCSE.

I know the minimum contract in the british army offered through the DTUS is 3 years, but after college, uni and Sandhurst i will be 25. This is too old to become a Pilot, unless i am awarded a waiver, afterall it is only a few months too old. And my eyesight is only marginally off perfect and my eyes are being tested in July.
I still want to be in the AAC unless it doesnt work out because then i can reenlist and become a Helicopter pilot there, i wanted to be RAF though because the aircraft are better.

Do you think my plan is unrealistic? In my opinon (not saying it's correct) this is the best plan i have devised.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
To be honest, I think you're over preparing slightly. The best laid plans go awry!
The extra curricular stuff is great, fill your days with interesting and useful hobbies like the cadets, sports, and gain any unique life experience where possible. This is probably the most beneficial thing you can do with your application. Also, volunteer/charity work over a substantial period - a lot of people I know rushed some CV padding volunteer work before the interview and were told that wasn't good enough.

Don't expect the RAF to waive anything, so you'll have to pick what you're aiming at. Don't Welbeck do RAF entry as well?

I don't really know how Welbeck works, but could you do the 6th form study at Welbeck, then privately fund your degree like any other student? Then you'd be able to join the UAS and get your degree, but be finished at 21. Then you could decide whether you'd rather apply RAF/NAVY/AAC
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by jannisjr
To be honest, I think you're over preparing slightly. The best laid plans go awry!
The extra curricular stuff is great, fill your days with interesting and useful hobbies like the cadets, sports, and gain any unique life experience where possible. This is probably the most beneficial thing you can do with your application. Also, volunteer/charity work over a substantial period - a lot of people I know rushed some CV padding volunteer work before the interview and were told that wasn't good enough.

Don't expect the RAF to waive anything, so you'll have to pick what you're aiming at. Don't Welbeck do RAF entry as well?

I don't really know how Welbeck works, but could you do the 6th form study at Welbeck, then privately fund your degree like any other student? Then you'd be able to join the UAS and get your degree, but be finished at 21. Then you could decide whether you'd rather apply RAF/NAVY/AAC

You are right, Welbeck do RAF, however Welbeck is an engineering college. I want to study at Welbeck because it's MoD and apparently Engineering degrees are good for aspiring pilots.
Also, the Army has the shortest contract so after being an Aircraft Technician and the RAF fails i could fall back on the AAC if need be but the RAF is ideally where i want to be. There is a way out which is paying a sum of the bursary to quit before 3 years but i thought the RAF would frown on that.
Reply 3
Original post by Lappers
You are right, Welbeck do RAF, however Welbeck is an engineering college. I want to study at Welbeck because it's MoD and apparently Engineering degrees are good for aspiring pilots.
Also, the Army has the shortest contract so after being an Aircraft Technician and the RAF fails i could fall back on the AAC if need be but the RAF is ideally where i want to be. There is a way out which is paying a sum of the bursary to quit before 3 years but i thought the RAF would frown on that.

Yes, but if you went Welbeck and then Army they'd expect you to be an officer, not a technician.

DTUS is triservices, you can quite easily join that to enter the RAF instead, but again, they expect you to then be an Engineer Officer, not pilot.

Welbeck is by no means necessary for someone wanting to be in the Forces and, arguably, can be a hindrance as that person is then less rounded than someone who's had 'normal' schooling and done the cadets as an extra curricular.

Engineering isn't necessary for pilots and won't really give you an advantage for piloting. I know more pilots who aren't engineers than who are, by a long way.

Original post by Lappers
Do you think my plan is unrealistic?

Yes. Very.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lappers
My dream at the moment is to become a fast-jet Pilot in the RAF, if not I hope the Sea King SAR returns.
I am fully aware that it is a career for the elite, but if those guys could do it then i don't see why I can't try.

I am joining Air Cadets this year, i am currently waiting for the next squadron recruitment event, i am also joining a rugby club and there is a possiblilty of another extra-curricular activity depending on the amount of time I have. At university i think I'm going to volunteer as a St Johns Ambulance Youth Leader to try to stand out and i am certain that I will join the University Air Squadron when I can and earning an Engineering degree.

However, i think the best college for me to attend is Welbeck DSFC. By bording I will be able to fully focus on inproving myself futher as an individual, academically and physically- these are essential for an Officer Candidate. I am very practical, technology being one of my stronger subjects, science also, my current work in progress is maths but i will achieve at least a B at GCSE.

I know the minimum contract in the british army offered through the DTUS is 3 years, but after college, uni and Sandhurst i will be 25. This is too old to become a Pilot, unless i am awarded a waiver, afterall it is only a few months too old. And my eyesight is only marginally off perfect and my eyes are being tested in July.
I still want to be in the AAC unless it doesnt work out because then i can reenlist and become a Helicopter pilot there, i wanted to be RAF though because the aircraft are better.

Do you think my plan is unrealistic? In my opinon (not saying it's correct) this is the best plan i have devised.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

Don't go to Welbeck if you don't want to be an Engineer or Technician.

If you want to be a pilot, then get a degree from a normal university and apply to be a pilot in the RAF. Don't faff around trying to get one-over on the system, just carry on trying to make yourself the most attractive pilot applicant possible.

Also, SAR isn't coming back anytime in the near or near-distant future. Sorry! :smile:
There are certainly incompatible elements to your plan. Welbeck, as has been said is almost certainly a no-go for pilot.

For pilot, here is my advice...

Join the Cadets, take the opportunities you can, but don't let your academics suffer due to Cadet activities. Same goes for other extra curricular activities - do them (as opposed to sitting in front of an X-Box/PS4 etc) - but ensure you put your academics first.

Get good GCSEs and A-Levels. Alongside those subjects you must do (at GCSE - thanks Drewski - maths, English etc), choose subjects you are good at and enjoy - not the ones you (and others) may think the RAF etc want you to do. Drewski makes an excellent point, and the Pilot/engineering example is a good one. I fell for that one. I'm a pilot with a fairly mediocre engineering degree. I could have been a pilot with a better Arts degree.

At uni, join the UAS (in whatever form it is by then). Enjoy it. They'll also tell you to put you academics first!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Fritz Bollinger
Get good GCSEs and A-Levels. Alongside those subjects you must do (maths, English etc),

Just an addendum here to avoid confusion for any other 14/15 yr olds reading: maths, English and science are mandatory at GCSE, you don't have to do those at A level. But do do good subjects at A level, the RAF won't be keen on three arts subjects, for example.
Original post by Drewski
Just an addendum here to avoid confusion for any other 14/15 yr olds reading: maths, English and science are mandatory at GCSE, you don't have to do those at A level. But do do good subjects at A level, the RAF won't be keen on three arts subjects, for example.

Fair point - I should have clarified I was referring to GCSE (they were a reasonably long time ago!).

As for A-levels, some are disregarded full stop. Maths or sciences are useful but realistically is the ability to absorb knowledge they require rather than a technical ability. Unless syllabae have suffered since I went through, the maths required (as an example) through pilot training and onto the front line isn't any more than GSCE standard. In my own case I did maths and two sciences at A-Level. Sadly hindsight has taught me I should have done maths alongside geography and a language (but sadly I was poorly advised at the time. Hindsight is wonderful!).
Reply 8
I went through selection and nobody batted an eyelid at my A-levels - English (C), Politics(B) and Music Tech(B). The boarding officers are after so much more than just grades
Original post by jannisjr
I went through selection and nobody batted an eyelid at my A-levels - English (C), Politics(B) and Music Tech(B). The boarding officers are after so much more than just grades

They won't, unless your grades don't meet the minimum entry standard... Which can happen to some people (and has gone up in recent years).

5 years in something like the cadets, getting to high cadet rank, DofEs left, right and centre and two armfuls of super-duper extra curricular activities, volunteering gap years etc count for nothing if you flunk your academics, be it at school or uni.
Reply 10
Original post by Lappers

you can get in as a pilot but only with the navy and if they see exceptional talent in you, at the moment this is the process I'm going through. I've got my FATs soon and if I pass I'm down as a pilot and fail I'm an engineer so it seems pretty relaxed with that part of the process. I originally got in touch with an admissions officer who said that that is an available route and then gave my details to my local AFCO, hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest