The Student Room Group

Russia and its Rulers 1855-1964 OCR A2 Historical Themes 8th June

Hi Guys, who else is taking this exam on the 8th? Who has revision materials? And what do we think is likely to come up? Also how are you guys preparing for this exam, What exam techinque are you using etc.? Thanks

Here are some resources I am using
(edited 8 years ago)
I too am taking the exam on the 8th and am doing the Russia questions, though honestly have no idea what the predictions are that's what I was trying to do when I came across this (your notes by the way are amazing, definitely will be using them to prepare for the exam). Also to prepare I find it best to do the introduction to past paper questions as it allows you to set up a structure and what information you are going to use.
Original post by Taralondon96
I too am taking the exam on the 8th and am doing the Russia questions, though honestly have no idea what the predictions are that's what I was trying to do when I came across this (your notes by the way are amazing, definitely will be using them to prepare for the exam). Also to prepare I find it best to do the introduction to past paper questions as it allows you to set up a structure and what information you are going to use.

Yeah that sounds good, so just do a introduction for lots of different past papers?
We got given a sheet with all the past papers on, so I tried to see what hasn't come up in a while; I'm predicting something about workers/industrialization/economy will come up, maybe something about nature of gov (unrelated to turning points) e.g did Stalin change nature of gov the most? I really hope a war/turning point question won't come up since I haven't even had a chance to start revising them yet!!
Original post by triplet3
We got given a sheet with all the past papers on, so I tried to see what hasn't come up in a while; I'm predicting something about workers/industrialization/economy will come up, maybe something about nature of gov (unrelated to turning points) e.g did Stalin change nature of gov the most? I really hope a war/turning point question won't come up since I haven't even had a chance to start revising them yet!!

Yeah that's a good shout
I'm just going to do five minute plans for all of the questions, and then any that I'm stuck on I'll plan with a bit more time and then actually write the essay.

We also got given a sheet with all the themes you could potentially talk about for each set of questions; e.g themes for change and continuity, themes for opposition, themes for economic and social and themes for turning points. I've done a basic comparison between all the rulers for each theme so I can just pick and choose and use them for the basis of my paragraphs.
Original post by maiisiie_08
I'm just going to do five minute plans for all of the questions, and then any that I'm stuck on I'll plan with a bit more time and then actually write the essay.

We also got given a sheet with all the themes you could potentially talk about for each set of questions; e.g themes for change and continuity, themes for opposition, themes for economic and social and themes for turning points. I've done a basic comparison between all the rulers for each theme so I can just pick and choose and use them for the basis of my paragraphs.

Would you be able to put that up on here?

As in the the sheet? would be really helpful, thanks
Reply 8
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1640166 Think there already maybe an official thread, try posting on there, but its up to you :smile:
Original post by jamescalebsmith
Would you be able to put that up on here?

Sure, obviously this is just a guide you could add your own themes if you think of others.
Thanks a lot!! how are you planned to structure your essay for this exam? For example in a change/continuity question, will you write all the similarity paragraphs first and then the differences' paragraphs, or write a paragraph on similarities and then differences and then similarities etc. (like chop and change)
Thanks a lot!! how are you planned to structure your essay for this exam? For example in a change/continuity question, will you write all the similarity paragraphs first and then the differences' paragraphs, or write a paragraph on similarities and then differences and then similarities etc. (like chop and change)

I normally do for and against for each theme, e.g a paragraph on change within ideologies and then a paragraph on continuity within ideologies, and then I'd do the same thing for three more themes.
I normally do for and against for each theme, e.g a paragraph on change within ideologies and then a paragraph on continuity within ideologies, and then I'd do the same thing for three more themes.

So do you include all themes in one essay?
So do you include all themes in one essay?

You could do change and contuinty in ideology, change and continuity in the economy, change and continuity in society and change and continuity in repression. It depends what themes you prefer/suit the question more.
You could do change and contuinty in ideology, change and continuity in the economy, change and continuity in society and change and continuity in repression. It depends what themes you prefer/suit the question more.

Ok thank you!
Reply 15
Does anyone have any revision notes/sources on wars as I think there will be a question on them and I know nothing?!
Need people to share their resources!
Is the best way to answer the majority of questions, social,political and economic?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending