The Student Room Group

What does being lonely mean to you?

How do you describe being lonely (and the feelings associated with it)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kka25
How do you describe being lonely (and the feelings associated with it)

To me it's kinda a positive thing because it gives you time to think about stuff by yourself which is difficult to get in when you have a busy week, day, etc. most people think of it as a negative but as long as I'm not lonely 24/7 then I think it's nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by TunnelSnakesRule
To me it's kinda a positive thing because it gives you time to think about stuff by yourself which is difficult to get in when you have a busy week, day, etc. most people think of it as a negative but as long as I'm not lonely 24/7 then I think it's nice

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think 'alone' is more suited than 'lonely' here.
Original post by kka25
I think 'alone' is more suited than 'lonely' here.

That's actually a good point, I didn't think about that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Being lonely is when you don't generally have anyone to talk to (on a daily basis), when you feel that you are unable to make friends/be in a relationship, feeling depressed, that you are lonely because you deserve it etc etc.
One can be with other people and still feel lonely. For that reason I think that it is that feeling of being incompatible with those around one and feeling unable to connect with anyone else, both physically and/ or psychologically. I don't know what anyone else thinks?
Loneliness is feeling like you're alone (woah really omg!?!?) even when you're in a group of people. It's believing that nobody understands you or likes you or wants to be with you, and it's the effect of this on yourself. It's like being in a huge bubble thats made from metal or some strong thing idk and you can't escape it unless you have some kind of key or fire to break it down. This bubble follows you everywhere, even when you're socializing, and it never ever leaves and lingers around for a while like some annoying person whos trying to get in with your squad. It's nothing sad, nothing exciting, it's absolutely petrifying. Your mind becomes your enemy in this huge metal bubble and you desperately want to get out but you just don't have the fire or key to do so. When you finally do get that key, holy crap is it a good feeling. But the bubble never leaves, just fades and waits to come back and be stronger and even more scarier.
You really can't define this 'power' made by your mind tbh, some people think loneliness is just sitting in your room all day without company, but when someone really does experience pure loneliness it's nasty and evil and really does change you. It's different for everyone, but I'd say its one of the worst feelings out there along with anger. :frown::frown:
Reply 7
This is great question for atheists, they are the masters on knowing what it's like to be lonely.
A feeling of disconnection with everything and everyone around you.
I started writing then realised i had nothing to say. Its not something easily put into words but i think imaginecats has done a better job than i could ever hope to do

Original post by ImagineCats
Loneliness is feeling like you're alone (woah really omg!?!?) even when you're in a group of people. It's believing that nobody understands you or likes you or wants to be with you, and it's the effect of this on yourself. It's like being in a huge bubble thats made from metal or some strong thing idk and you can't escape it unless you have some kind of key or fire to break it down. This bubble follows you everywhere, even when you're socializing, and it never ever leaves and lingers around for a while like some annoying person whos trying to get in with your squad. It's nothing sad, nothing exciting, it's absolutely petrifying. Your mind becomes your enemy in this huge metal bubble and you desperately want to get out but you just don't have the fire or key to do so. When you finally do get that key, holy crap is it a good feeling. But the bubble never leaves, just fades and waits to come back and be stronger and even more scarier.
You really can't define this 'power' made by your mind tbh, some people think loneliness is just sitting in your room all day without company, but when someone really does experience pure loneliness it's nasty and evil and really does change you. It's different for everyone, but I'd say its one of the worst feelings out there along with anger. :frown::frown:
Original post by Smilin’ Knight
I started writing then realised i had nothing to say. Its not something easily put into words but i think imaginecats has done a better job than i could ever hope to do

:h: Thank you!
I dunno, just a period of time when you have no one to talk to, share experiences with etc. Sometimes it's good to have a quiet time to reflect or be at peace but in general it's not something I enjoy personally, being on my own.
I'm an introvert so I like spending time on my own. But loneliness is feeling like even when you're surrounded, talking to someone, deep down you know you're alone and you can't share the complexity of your problems/issues. It's a bitter sweet type of feeling that leaves you depressed, makes you want to cry sometimes and that leaves you a bit numb.
Original post by ImagineCats

Best post I've read this year. Pretty much ends the thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Being alone is a state.

Loneliness is nothing more than a thought. It's not a feeling, it's just a thought that enters your mind. When you're alone and not busy engaging in an activity, a thought might enter your head and tell you that you're feeling lonely. This is incorrect. If you choose to believe in this passing thought, then you will feel even more frustrated and sad.

If you were alone and engaged in a hobby or activity that you love to do (could be anything), or if you're exerting a lot of mental power eg studying or reading books, then you're distracted from your thoughts and you won't feel 'lonely'.

This thought isn't necessarily related to the state of being alone. Some people feel lonely even if they're surrounded by friends, or if they're in a crowded place. It's important to recognise that this is just a thought which enters your head when you're not being distracted by something else.

It is a thought. Different people decide to deal in different ways with this thought when it enters their minds.

I recommend Noah Elkrief's videos about loneliness on YouTube, he hits the nail right on the head.
Reply 16
Original post by Tone Loc
Being alone is a state.

Loneliness is nothing more than a thought. It's not a feeling, it's just a thought that enters your mind. When you're alone and not busy engaging in an activity, a thought might enter your head and tell you that you're feeling lonely. This is incorrect. If you choose to believe in this passing thought, then you will feel even more frustrated and sad.

If you were alone and engaged in a hobby or activity that you love to do (could be anything), or if you're exerting a lot of mental power eg studying or reading books, then you're distracted from your thoughts and you won't feel 'lonely'.

This thought isn't necessarily related to the state of being alone. Some people feel lonely even if they're surrounded by friends, or if they're in a crowded place. It's important to recognise that this is just a thought which enters your head when you're not being distracted by something else.

It is a thought. Different people decide to deal in different ways with this thought when it enters their minds.

I recommend Noah Elkrief's videos about loneliness on YouTube, he hits the nail right on the head.

So what kind of activities won't let one think of being lonely? Anything? Does it have a level that won't leave a person to not being in that state?
Original post by kka25
So what kind of activities won't let one think of being lonely? Anything? Does it have a level that won't leave a person to not being in that state?

The man in the video explains it so much better than I do, his videos are very helpful. The sort of activity that you engage in can be almost anything really...watching TV, listening to music, doing exercise, eating nice food, reading a book or newspaper, studying, working...if you have any hobby or activity that you enjoy, then I'm willing to bet that you rarely, if ever, feel lonely when you're engaged in that activity. It's only when your attention isn't directed at something that you start to think about "I feel lonely". And it's just a thought, but we wrongly start to believe that being alone always means you're feeling lonely, which is not true. What sort of things do you enjoy? What do you do for fun, what gives you a sense of fulfilment and satisfaction?

I'm not sure if I quite understood the wording on your second question, sorry about that. But yeah, I definitely recommend that video! It's great. I'm not doing a good job of explaining this.
Lonely is when you feel unsatisfied about your level of company or support or relating to others. Even if you physically have these things.
You can be alone and not feel lonely.
I get worried that people think me being alone means I'm lonely, which in most cases isn't the truth.

#Introvert

Quick Reply

Latest