The Student Room Group

AQA IGCSE Biology - 12th May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by TheBlackHookage
Well I guess that could be right but it's very ambiguous. I said that since battery chickens are stored in cages, more can be fitted in a given area as opposed to free range chickens which need a large space to move around in. As a result, the rate of production of food is higher for battery chickens.

That is similar to what i put.
However, it is to do with how efficient they are individually, not how many they can produce as a whole; therefore the answer is that they conserve more energy to be used to lay eggs as a result they will lay eggs more frequently.
Incorrect I'm afraid. The fan would increase the rate of evaporation off the leaf's surface so more water would be drawn into the plant. When all the water had been used, the cells in the leaf of the plant will become plasmolysed and the leaf will shrivel as a result.

The question asked about changes to the leaf, not to the plant so I'm afraid your answer would not gain any marks :/

Mate, "wilting" is the changes in the leaves - when they droop down
Original post by KS2112
Did anyone do Paper 1 today? How did you find it?

What was the answer on the malaria question? Thanks.

I thought the malaria one was talking about how merozoites travel in the bloodstream and invade red blood cells and some turn into schizonts which then burst to release more merozoites but i didnt actually say which was stage 5 and which was stage 6
Original post by JGray99
That is similar to what i put.
However, it is to do with how efficient they are individually, not how many they can produce as a whole; therefore the answer is that they conserve more energy to be used to lay eggs as a result they will lay eggs more frequently.

I talked about how they didnt have to regulate their own temperature and didnt use energy in doing so and had more energy for conversion to biomass so they grew quicker and therefore it was more efficient
Reply 44
Incorrect I'm afraid. The fan would increase the rate of evaporation off the leaf's surface so more water would be drawn into the plant. When all the water had been used, the cells in the leaf of the plant will become plasmolysed and the leaf will shrivel as a result.

The question asked about changes to the leaf, not to the plant so I'm afraid your answer would not gain any marks :/

I didn't just write "The leaves would wilt"...
It was three or four marks
I wrote something along the lines of "The fan would increase the rate of transpiration which would mean that eventually the water would run out in the potometer. After this had happened, the plants would wilt; reducing the surface area of the plant so that less water would be lost"
Leaves are the bit that wilt, and there is nothing in the spec regarding the word "plasmolyse" meaning that although it may be a great term to use, I didn't need to mention it as our knowledge only has to stretch as far as knowing that the plant wilts.
I think that probably covered at least 2/3 or 3/4 so I will get the marks, even if it isn't all of them.
A test isn't just one question, either. The most marks I've lost is 3% if I didn't get any of the marks from that question. If I'm honest I couldn't care less because there is nothing I can do about it now.
Original post by jakepds
I didn't just write "The leaves would wilt"...
It was three or four marks
I wrote something along the lines of "The fan would increase the rate of transpiration which would mean that eventually the water would run out in the potometer. After this had happened, the plants would wilt; reducing the surface area of the plant so that less water would be lost"
Leaves are the bit that wilt, and there is nothing in the spec regarding the word "plasmolyse" meaning that although it may be a great term to use, I didn't need to mention it as our knowledge only has to stretch as far as knowing that the plant wilts.
I think that probably covered at least 2/3 or 3/4 so I will get the marks, even if it isn't all of them.
A test isn't just one question, either. The most marks I've lost is 3% if I didn't get any of the marks from that question. If I'm honest I couldn't care less because there is nothing I can do about it now.

Haha relax dude. If you didn't care why would you write such a long response XD.

Plasmolyse is a term used in the AQA IGCSE Biology text book so they'd expect you to know it. Having said that however, most past papers grant marks without the use of specific terms so you could get some marks for your answer.

And with biology a lot of marks are lost due to lack of detail. For example, I highly doubt you got all six marks on the pathogen question or if you got the multiple questions about structure and bonding correct.

3% is a bit over ambitious. Try and keep things realistic so you're not surprised or devastated on results day.
Haha relax dude. If you didn't care why would you write such a long response XD.

Plasmolyse is a term used in the AQA IGCSE Biology text book so they'd expect you to know it. Having said that however, most past papers grant marks without the use of specific terms so you could get some marks for your answer.

And with biology a lot of marks are lost due to lack of detail. For example, I highly doubt you got all six marks on the pathogen question or if you got the multiple questions about structure and bonding correct.

3% is a bit over ambitious. Try and keep things realistic so you're not surprised or devastated on results day.

Once again, wilting is to do with the leaves and it is the right answer. Obviously you'd have to extend the answer but it is definitely to do with wilting. "Plasmolysis" happens in PLANT CELLS when it is put in hypertonic solution which results in water moving out by osmosis causing plasmolysis. As the question has nothing to do with hypertonic solutions and plant CELLS, "plasmolysis" is wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)
How do you think a plant wilts? In these sorts of questions, they expect development and plasmolysis is what causes the plant to wilt as a result of a lack of water. This links it directly to the situation they described with the experiment so will grant full marks.

So no, it isn't wrong.

sorry to burst your bubble but as far as full marks on this question, i wouldnt be so sure because you also should mention that the guard cells of the stomata close to prevent wilting and given that it was referring to what happened to the leaves in particular, i would guess that it would be required for full marks

Also the plasmolysis point, dont the cells become flaccid as they are not turgid anymore? Given that the question is not asking about a cell in a hypertonic solution
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Marvin16
Ok i got it wrong then i put 5, 4 and 0.4

For no 2 i multiplied 5 by 0.8 as that was the width of tube

then for no 3 i divided by 10 to get 1 minute so RIP me :|

i think thats right
Original post by jaz.deans
i think thats right

Any predictions for topics in Friday's paper 2? (Things that didn't come up in Paper 1)
Original post by James68
Cancer
Enzymes
Breathing/HR/Exercise
Transplants
Digestion
Nervous System
Kidneys/Dialysis/4.6.2-4.6.4 from spec
Photosynthesis/All topic 6 from spec
8.2/8.3 from spec
9/10/11 sections from spec

Cheers mate
Reply 51
Anybody remember what was on the last paper? Just so I know what not to look at in as much detail

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
how did paper 2 go for yall?
Reply 53
Original post by joodaa
how did paper 2 go for yall?

I found it pretty hard tbh:frown: I was so pushed for time and some of the questions were just so annoying like I wasnt sure what I should have written for some things and there were so many long questions!! I wanted more short nice answers ugh praying for low grade boundaries... I found paper 1 so much easier!! Wbu?
Reply 54
Original post by annag98
I found it pretty hard tbh:frown: I was so pushed for time and some of the questions were just so annoying like I wasnt sure what I should have written for some things and there were so many long questions!! I wanted more short nice answers ugh praying for low grade boundaries... I found paper 1 so much easier!! Wbu?

Yeah I know right! I thought that they usually only have 1 6 marker, but they had two and like 3 5 markers :O yeah I agree paper 1 was so much better
Reply 55
Original post by joodaa
Yeah I know right! I thought that they usually only have 1 6 marker, but they had two and like 3 5 markers :O yeah I agree paper 1 was so much better

I think there was 3 actually: dogs, the catalase one and the design an experiment thing :/// and then the 5 markers weren't fun either :frown: oh well hopefully won't have been as bad as I thought! I had no time to check anything and usually have 10-20 minutes! Was the heart rate recovery question about repaying the oxygen debt because I had no idea? Cry
Reply 56
wait I meant speciation not catalase lol said that twice stupid me

Original post by joodaa
I'm not sure what was harder... The exam or other people who did the aqa igcse!!

The amount of 4/5/6 mark questions was ridiculous and I'd be lucky if I get a B
Reply 58
Original post by PodOFFICIAL
I'm not sure what was harder... The exam or other people who did the aqa igcse!!

The amount of 4/5/6 mark questions was ridiculous and I'd be lucky if I get a B

I usually have 20ish minutes to check and I literally had about 5 seconds just to check if I'd answered every question, not that I'd have time to do any I hadn't though :///
Reply 59
Original post by annag98
I think there was 3 actually: dogs, the catalase one and the design an experiment thing :/// and then the 5 markers weren't fun either :frown: oh well hopefully won't have been as bad as I thought! I had no time to check anything and usually have 10-20 minutes! Was the heart rate recovery question about repaying the oxygen debt because I had no idea? Cry

hmm i i think i mentioned oxygen debt but didnt focus much on it since i think its more to do with anearobic respiration and lactic acid I added that blood would have to flow faster, cause breathing to get deeper and faster and the heart to pump faster. So the heart rate would reach a higher point than when the person is travelling at a slower speed and would therefore take more time to get back to resting rate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending