The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Uberphuq
Yeah buddy! Roll on children pretending not to smoke after parents!

You won't get marked down for not including any

my teacher said you can get a maximum of 21 marks if you don't go off spec, although tbh 21 is still a very nice mark :wink:
Original post by Algebraicly
for the essay would it affect my marks if I talked about keeping warm in cold conditions and describing the whole process and not describing reducing body temperature but just saying that an opposite process is involved?

you wouldn't lose marks, you just wouldn't gain any extra :-)
Original post by Ezme39
you wouldn't lose marks, you just wouldn't gain any extra :-)

I wrote about 5 topics including heart rate with co2 and pressure
water in plants and insects
glucose
temperature
and kinesis

however didn't mention both sides for each point due to it being similar and briefly mentioned them i.e. saying opposite would happen . Would this still allow me to achieve high marks for content?
(edited 8 years ago)
wtf why has no one made a mark scheme yet?
Original post by zoelizabeth
I put they might lie or another person in the household might smoke but they're not included.

I put that they might lie and that its unknown how many cigarettes are smoked but I really wasn't sure :/
Reply 2245
Original post by djhodnett

cause theres no point
half the answers are mostly hsw/application
if u look at last years thread and see their unoffficaly ms and compared to actual ms you will realise they were completely wrong lol
Original post by Ezme39
my teacher said you can get a maximum of 21 marks if you don't go off spec, although tbh 21 is still a very nice mark :wink:

I think your teacher might be telling porkies.

How can you possibly know something that is outside the syllabus us for every essay question?

Anyways, its over, im just happy all 14exams are done :biggrin:
Original post by annagilbertt
I wrote about that's as well!

I thought it was talking about calcium ions in the pre-sypaptic membrane? I must have misread it :frown:
Original post by djhodnett

Because it's biology....
Noone knows what the actual mark scheme will say, so there's literally no point haha
Original post by Uberphuq
I think your teacher might be telling porkies.

How can you possibly know something that is outside the syllabus us for every essay question?

Anyways, its over, im just happy all 14exams are done :biggrin:

You can actually only get a max of 23/25 unless you go outside of the specification, so her teacher is basically telling the truth

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2250
Original post by AJcantdomaths
I thought it was talking about calcium ions in the pre-sypaptic membrane? I must have misread it :frown:

The question was definitely about calcium ions in the presynaptic membrane
Original post by JM97
The question was definitely about calcium ions in the presynaptic membrane

Thank god.

doesn't mean the rest of the paper was ok though
Original post by eilish1903
I wrote about:

Controlling population grown due to limited resources and human impact on global warmin.
Controlling human reproduction because of harmful genetic diseases
Controlling succession to conserve habitats and species and the benifits of this to humans
Controlling the growth and development of Bacteria due to the increase in antibiotic resistance
Controlling development of other mammals (hypothesised in a recently published journal that some mammals have the potential to develope and become as intelligent as humans, e.g apes and monkeys and why we should do this [human dominance])

Wow your essay sounds so amazing! Honestly i think that would get top marks! Mine sounds so rudimentary compared to that 😭
how many topics do you need to include in your essay, i included 3 and went into detail is that even enough?
Reply 2254
For the essay - I did 10b and thought at the time it was really good but think I misinterpreted it, I wrote about how humans control their own growth and reproduction:
- Meiosis/Mitosis
- Stem Cells
- Menstrual Cycle
- Transcription/Translation
- Respiration (energy for growth)
- Homeostasis

How many marks do you think I will get?
Original post by bradlydc
how many topics do you need to include in your essay, i included 3 and went into detail is that even enough?

My teacher always told us to write at least 5? But since you wrote it in detail then i dont think it will matter that much, but i would say its better to get high marks on science and maybe drop 1 mark for breadth
For the essay question 10a I wrote quite a lot on transpiration in plants and how light intensity (external environment) affects the rate at which they take up water etc. for photosynthesis & respiration (internal), and how they need to respond to different external environments to survive - have no idea if this would be credit worthy, looking back at it, but wanted a link to unit 2..What do you guys think?
Original post by biosixthform97
For the essay question 10a I wrote quite a lot on transpiration in plants and how light intensity (external environment) affects the rate at which they take up water etc. for photosynthesis & respiration (internal), and how they need to respond to different external environments to survive - have no idea if this would be credit worthy, looking back at it, but wanted a link to unit 2..What do you guys think?

I wrote a little about light intensity affecting the balance between opening stomata and letting CO2 in for photosynthesis and water loss due to transpiration too- I'm fairly certain it's credit worthy because it is a response due to an external change :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
For calcium question, did we have to talk about vesicles????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2259
Original post by Algebraicly
I wrote about 5 topics including heart rate with co2 and pressure
water in plants and insects
glucose
temperature
and kinesis

however didn't mention both sides for each point due to it being similar and briefly mentioned them i.e. saying opposite would happen . Would this still allow me to achieve high marks for content?

I did the same! My teacher said thats fine as long as its scientifically accurate showing well developed understanding in that topic. Enough for 12/16 for scientific content. Plus the 3/3 for breadth :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending