The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Offer Holder (2015 Entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jai Sandhu
58 is an easy 2 hahaha, yeah an A* in FM for me is harder than a 2, I was a bit annoyed the 4th of my 4 complete solutions for STEP 1had a stupid error in it from misreading the question, just have to hope FP2 goes my way, I no longer care about AEA so I can bring down the boundaries for you :wink:

Thanks lad. Sounds like you're doing AQA FM? It looks quite a bit harder than Edexcel so that may be why. Take a look at some of our FP2 papers lol.

I think this years STEP 1 paper was much harder than last year so maybe it will apply this year? Idk if you guys agree.

Yeah, last year's mechanics ones were so much easier than this year's. About 5 'easy' pure ones on there too, although q1 looks nice but it's a proof one so I imagine loads of people did crap on it compared to our q1.

Original post by Paraphilos
Also, as a note, with STEP people normally underestimate their performance.

Is there anywhere that tells you how they mark partial questions etc? Can't stand having to guess what I got for a question that only had 1 part.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Generally Warwick are more lenient than Cambridge for instance when it comes to meeting your STEP offer; however, this does not mean that they 'dumb down' the course at all. It is still demanding and I guess I don't need to mention that.

I am worried about missing my A* in FM atm tbh, I have guaranteed got a 2, with 4 full solutions (and one of them we have discussed via mail) and 3 partials worth 3-5 marks each. It is just whether or not I get the A* in FM, are they more inclined to those who meet the A* in FM or the STEP grade because technically you are 1 grade off both offers whether it be A*AA2 being 1 grade off A*AA1 or A*A*A2.
Original post by fatart123
Is there anywhere that tells you how they mark partial questions etc? Can't stand having to guess what I got for a question that only had 1 part.

I'm not aware of it personally.

In any case, based on hearsay, and my own experience of taking STEP I/II, it seems that provided your ideas are correct and you can fully write a solution (whether there are tiny errors carried forward or not) you should be able to secure at least 15/20 marks for said question. As for partial solutions, it is much harder to gauge; this is because my own impression is that the right ideas are imperative, yet partial solutions are normally missing these and as such the marker cannot give you credit for nothing, unfortunately.
I am worried about missing my A* in FM atm tbh, I have guaranteed got a 2, with 4 full solutions (and one of them we have discussed via mail) and 3 partials worth 3-5 marks each. It is just whether or not I get the A* in FM, are they more inclined to those who meet the A* in FM or the STEP grade because technically you are 1 grade off both offers whether it be A*AA2 being 1 grade off A*AA1 or A*A*A2.

I have no authority to say. But my guess is that the difference is minimal; I found securing an A* in further maths hard (and I didn't), given my circumstances, but found STEP easier to succeed in for example.
Thanks lad. Sounds like you're doing AQA FM? It looks quite a bit harder than Edexcel so that may be why. Take a look at some of our FP2 papers lol.

Yeah, last year's mechanics ones were so much easier than this year's. About 5 'easy' pure ones on there too, although q1 looks nice but it's a proof one so I imagine loads of people did crap on it compared to our q1.

I am doing OCR (non-MEI) Further Maths and yeah ive seen Edexcel papers, definitely easier but boundaries are much higher, usually its like 48-50/72 for an A in FP2 and 60-64 for an A* whilst Edexcel boundaries seem horrendous.
I have no authority to say. But my guess is that the difference is minimal; I found securing an A* in further maths hard (and I didn't), given my circumstances, but found STEP easier to succeed in for example.

Yeah, A* in further is harder, I am just hoping that the grade boundaries for this STEP 1 will be like last years in which case I should 100% have a 1 which takes the pressure off, but as long as I leave FP2 on the 22nd thinking ive got it all correct and confirming that with friends I will be confident I have met the offer.
I am doing OCR (non-MEI) Further Maths and yeah ive seen Edexcel papers, definitely easier but boundaries are much higher, usually its like 48-50/72 for an A in FP2 and 60-64 for an A* whilst Edexcel boundaries seem horrendous.

Yeah, looking like it's going to be 70/75 in M2, M3 and FP2 so far for an A*. You say A* FM is harder, I wonder if Warwick prefer A*A*A3 or A*AA2... I know that I've definitely got the A*, but not so sure about that 2. It'd be nice if they looked at FM UMS tho because I'm pretty sure I'm sitting on 393/400 atm
Yeah, looking like it's going to be 70/75 in M2, M3 and FP2 so far for an A*. You say A* FM is harder, I wonder if Warwick prefer A*A*A3 or A*AA2... I know that I've definitely got the A*, but not so sure about that 2. It'd be nice if they looked at FM UMS tho because I'm pretty sure I'm sitting on 393/400 atm

Oh btw, I meant 60-64 for 100 UMS hahaha, but for M2-M3 its really really high, like 68/72 for an A*, though one year an A in FP2 was 68/72... Each to their own, I am better at longer questions, i always make silly mistakes and A levels are not designed for someone who makes silly slips, but longer exams with long questions are my thing, especially when you really have to think about them.
Oh btw, I meant 60-64 for 100 UMS hahaha, but for M2-M3 its really really high, like 68/72 for an A*, though one year an A in FP2 was 68/72... Each to their own, I am better at longer questions, i always make silly mistakes and A levels are not designed for someone who makes silly slips, but longer exams with long questions are my thing, especially when you really have to think about them.

Lol we've had a few papers which were 69/75 for an A and 72/75 for an A*. I'd much prefer to be sitting exams like yours tho with harder papers and lower boundaries. It sucks to miss out on a grade due to one stupid mistake instead of not being able to do the question like STEP. In that regard, I prefer AEA to normal A-Level.
Lol we've had a few papers which were 69/75 for an A and 72/75 for an A*. I'd much prefer to be sitting exams like yours tho with harder papers and lower boundaries. It sucks to miss out on a grade due to one stupid mistake instead of not being able to do the question like STEP. In that regard, I prefer AEA to normal A-Level.

Yeah for sure, just need to make sure I remember FP2, havent done it since February, but it the module which closest to STEP (not that any are) in terms of the topics.
I was wondering what we do if we miss our offers? I know Track goes like from 7:30-8:00 then freezes until midday but say, instead of my AAA offer for english, I got A*AB or AAB, do I have to ring and beg? Assuming Track didn't confirm that I had a place that morning? Like, what do you even do? "Hi, I messed up my A2's, I'm a really good person, let me in?" :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
My firm offer is Warwick's Law and Business BA at AAB. I got BCCU in my AS Levels last year so as you can imagine this less than stellar performance has required enormous efforts to improve. I am just wondering what you think the likelihood would be of Warwick letting me in with ABB?

I know it's probably slim but I suppose it's good to know there's a chance :smile:
Original post by CluffyUno
Bristol, and yourself?

Also, what is the process for those who missed their offers getting in? Does the university contact you or do you have to phone and beg on results day?

St Andrews... Pretty sure there's lots of begging....
Just curious, what are your guys' insurance choice? Mine's Manchester.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by milkberries
Just curious, what are your guys' insurance choice? Mine's Manchester.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Manchester too :smile: :five:
Original post by LumosNox
I was wondering what we do if we miss our offers? I know Track goes like from 7:30-8:00 then freezes until midday but say, instead of my AAA offer for english, I got A*AB or AAB, do I have to ring and beg? Assuming Track didn't confirm that I had a place that morning? Like, what do you even do? "Hi, I messed up my A2's, I'm a really good person, let me in?" :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

Disclaimer: I am no expert.
However, I know a few people who yes, basically did that. They rung up the university (or mailed them? Phone is probably quicker) and discussed it with them. Basically, if the university still has spots open (for example, if not many people firmed it / made their offer) they will want to fill their course. Either you go and discuss it directly with the admissions team, or you can take advantage of UCAS and their clearance / adjustment program, where you can basically 'apply' to courses at unis who are trying to fill places themselves.
Hey, any ideas if I'll be let in for my conditional offer for maths with A*AB (high B in chem), medal winner in BMO1, 1 in STEP I, distinction in AEA??? I'm pretty sure I'll get an A in chem but A*AB is worst case scenario -- I already have my 1 in STEP I from AS btw)
Anybody hoping to be studying in the Maths and Stats Dept?
Original post by LewisJacquesWait
Anybody hoping to be studying in the Maths and Stats Dept?

Yes! I can't seem to find anyone else though...
I know, feel like we are entering a pretty anti-social department. Best pray for interesting room-mates if that's the case haha

Quick Reply

Latest