The Student Room Group

AQA A2 COMP 3 Computing 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EllaR97
Ahhh yes, I remember that now! Thanks :-)

You're more than welcome! Good Luck for tomorrow! :smile:
Can anyone explain the operating system on phones. It was a question on the june 2014 paper. Good luck for tomorrow everybody XD x

Posted from TSR Mobile
in case anyone needed the june 2014 paper...
Original post by AnnieFraz
Can anyone explain the operating system on phones. It was a question on the june 2014 paper. Good luck for tomorrow everybody XD x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's a case of remembering the points in the mark scheme, perhaps making some colourful flashcards to help you remember the points.

A phone OS may have a sandbox to run guest programs in.
A phone OS is likely to have less RAM/slower processor
Need to support certain set of peripherals like a GPS/gyroscope
Probably going to have sophisticated power management software
Original post by EllaR97
I was doing the Jun11 paper and the question asked "what is the smallest positive that can berepresented using normalised floating point system."
I put 0.0000001 with exponent of 1000, but the markscheme says 0.1000000 with exponent of 1000 - anyone know why?

Wikibooks agrees with me :-S

Thanks in advance!
:-)

That's just what I put! It made sense in my head :frown:
June 2011 is a horrible paper!
How much do we have to know about how Turing machines work?
All i know is the basic definition of a Turing machine and a UTM.
Original post by aLeXaNdRa08
How much do we have to know about how Turing machines work?
All i know is the basic definition of a Turing machine and a UTM.

The majority of marks on Turing machines come from interpreting the logic of one, and writing out the movement and actions of the read and write head.

As far as definition and explanation questions go, you also need to know the significance of Turing machines to computing in general (both the standard ones and universal).

I have seen one other question regarding how a UTM can be likened to an interpreter.
Original post by PythonGuy
The majority of marks on Turing machines come from interpreting the logic of one, and writing out the movement and actions of the read and write head.

As far as definition and explanation questions go, you also need to know the significance of Turing machines to computing in general (both the standard ones and universal).

I have seen one other question regarding how a UTM can be likened to an interpreter.

Ok well thats good then. I'm just hoping that they don't suddenly chuck a six-mark question at us, about exactly how a Turing machine works.
Are the get and post methods response or request?
Anyone know the Big O complexity of the insertion sort?
Original post by TabbyGuy123
Anyone know the Big O complexity of the insertion sort?

Big O is worst case, right? If so, it would be O(n2)O(n^2). Because the worst case would be if the list was the wrong way round, and each element had to compare to each element before (so n-1 + n-2 + n-3 + ... + 1), which would sum to 12n(n+1)1\frac{1}{2}n(n+1) -1.
What's a thick-client network please?
Just remember 1st = Atomic Data, 2nd = No partial Dependancies, and 3rd = No Non key attributes!

Sort of in order of importance?
For 3NF there's also the court based rhyme of "Each attribute must represent a fact about the key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd!" (Codd was some database computer-y guy, you don't need to know anything about him for the exam but the rhyme might help!
Original post by AlecRobertson
That's just what I put! It made sense in my head :frown:

Normalised requires the radix to have different bits on either side
Do you think there will be any pseudo code question?
And what can the 8 marker be on?
Original post by Artur96
Do you think there will be any pseudo code question?
And what can the 8 marker be on?

I think the 8 mark question be about the csma/cd

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AnnieFraz
I think the 8 mark question be about the csma/cd

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's "csma/cd"?
Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Detection
Guys, what's the advantage of using floating point (mantissa=exponent) compared to fixed point (from last year)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending