The Student Room Group

Geography EPQ Ideas

I'm currently starting an EPQ and I need to submit my title soon but I'm not sure what exactly my EPQ should focus on. I'm thinking of doing a human geography related project that would look at something to do with population and resources. I was thinking of looking at Thomas Malthus, maybe about whether his theories on food shortage apply/don't apply today. However, I'm not sure that's enough to write 5000 words on so if anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Hi, i am also looking at ideas to do an EPQ on geography too. However i am struggling to think of any that we don't cover in the spec. Do you have any ideas?
Original post by zahrac98
Hi, i am also looking at ideas to do an EPQ on geography too. However i am struggling to think of any that we don't cover in the spec. Do you have any ideas?

Hi zahrac,

Which exam board are you doing geography with?

If you're struggling with finding a suitable geography topic to do your EPQ on, I would suggest having a look at topics within related subjects like geology, which has plenty of interesting topics which don't overlap too much with geography. For example, I did my EPQ on theories on why the dinosaurs became extinct.

Are there any geography topics you are interested in outside what you cover in your specification? Also, try asking your EPQ mentor (if you have one yet) for some topic ideas, I'm sure they will be happy to help you, that's what they're there for after all! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hi zahrac,

Which exam board are you doing geography with?

If you're struggling with finding a suitable geography topic to do your EPQ on, I would suggest having a look at topics within related subjects like geology, which has plenty of interesting topics which don't overlap too much with geography. For example, I did my EPQ on theories on why the dinosaurs became extinct.

Are there any geography topics you are interested in outside what you cover in your specification? Also, try asking your EPQ mentor (if you have one yet) for some topic ideas, I'm sure they will be happy to help you, that's what they're there for after all! :smile:

Hi, I am with Edexcel for geography. Thank you. I think I favour human geography over physical geography. I was thinking of doing 'How migration affect physical and mental health' therefore it links to both geography and psychology although I am not sure if it is too limited.
Original post by zahrac98
Hi, I am with Edexcel for geography. Thank you. I think I favour human geography over physical geography. I was thinking of doing 'How migration affect physical and mental health' therefore it links to both geography and psychology although I am not sure if it is too limited.

That sounds like a good title to start with, as you go along your EPQ mentor will help you to refine it so that you end up with a title that you are happy with and is acceptable for the EPQ (the EPQ mark scheme is particularly fussy about titles unfortunately!).

I'd suggest to just think of a list of possible titles and then show them to your EPQ mentor/whoever is in charge of EPQ and see what they think is most suitable :smile:
Reply 5
researching malthus is a good area to go into. i remember when i studied him in yr13 we only went into brief detail so i think there will be a lot more you can find out there.

another good area for human geography though would be something to do with development and inequalities- the scope for this area is massive, a lot of interesting debates to look into and a lot of different opinions. e.g. how to determine a developed country, can a country become fully developed and why are some countries able to reduce some types of inequality but not others

just some ideas there
Reply 6
Hi everyone A2 student here I did my Epq on a geography area. I wrote about how climate change affects the different biomes and ecosystems around the world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending