The Student Room Group

Going to India to review arranged marriage choices - ama

So my parents have got on me about settling down. They've arranged a trip to India for me where I'm basically going to 'review' my choices.

I actually have no intention of marrying any one of these girls. But I'm considering going along with it just because some of them are really pretty.

Scroll to see replies

They are nice girls but how do you feel about allowing an immigrant who will most likely not contribute to the economy into the country?
How is the whole situation making you feel?
Kinda messed up, don't bring these stupid and corrupt traditions to the UK. Get yourself a westernized Indian wife, they're not that hard to find. That'll please your parents :smile:

How pretty is the pretty one /10?
Reply 4
You should get married to one of them. It will save you a lot of hassle in the long run...
Reply 5
Original post by neal95
They are nice girls but how do you feel about allowing an immigrant who will most likely not contribute to the economy into the country?

indians have been great for this country. nearly all of them want to work and contribute to this country
Original post by neal95

Hmm this isn't really a concern lol
The two girls I've been told of are both well educated
Original post by sdotd
indians have been great for this country. nearly all of them want to work and contribute to this country

I know I am an indian myself, I merely asked because in traditional indian families, especially those that practice arranged marriages, the girl tends not to work but assume the roll of homemaker.

Original post by Awesome Genius
Hmm this isn't really a concern lol
The two girls I've been told of are both well educated

Fair play mate, some of them are stunning but make sure you don't get screwed, possibly get a prenup XD
Original post by enaayrah
How is the whole situation making you feel?

Hmm I have mixed feelings

They're both from well to do families from around Delhi - friends of my family. If I had encountered either girl more 'naturally' in this country id have been totally cool with them.

But this way I feel like everything is so contrived and suffocating. Also I feel like it proves that I cannot get in a long term relationship myself. I'm sure I can given enough time.
Original post by bailfire
Kinda messed up, don't bring these stupid and corrupt traditions to the UK. Get yourself a westernized Indian wife, they're not that hard to find. That'll please your parents :smile:

How pretty is the pretty one /10?

I'd say around 8. Tbh they're pretty westernised already. One has been living in Melbourne for 2 years and has only moved back to India recently.
I'd say around 8. Tbh they're pretty westernised already. One has been living in Melbourne for 2 years and has only moved back to India recently.

An 8 you say? I would consider an exception. But what about the funny accents?
I always think it's a little odd choosing a partner based on who your mother thinks would suit you, mothers do tend to have a view of their children which does deviate a little from reality.

My mum would probably hate my ideal partner. As long as you aren't pressured into taking a wife you don't want and the women are allowed to reject you I personally don't have much of an issue with this. It isn't too dissimilar to a singles night at a bar, except there is only one man and your mother decided which women will be present.

Would be a little too awkward for my tastes, but you enjoy yourself man.
Can you bring me an indian wife? :wink:

if they are already westernised then why don't you go about it in a western way if thats how you want to do it. Go on a date with each of them, see how you get on. Sorted :wink:
Reply 14
Original post by neal95
I know I am an indian myself, I merely asked because in traditional indian families, especially those that practice arranged marriages, the girl tends not to work but assume the roll of homemaker.

not always the case, the girl is expected to work these days

They're both from well to do families from around Delhi - friends of my family. If I had encountered either girl more 'naturally' in this country id have been totally cool with them.

But this way I feel like everything is so contrived and suffocating. Also I feel like it proves that I cannot get in a long term relationship myself. I'm sure I can given enough time.

This would be my biggest issue with an arranged marriage, I feel like I'd be implying I can't find someone myself. :lol:
Original post by sdotd
not always the case, the girl is expected to work these days

Not Indian, but in my culture, it's a scandal if the girl, especially if she's from 'back home' goes out to work. So backward ffs

I can almost understand :redface:

My time will come one day and I'm very afraid :afraid:

And it's more worse for women

8/10,educated and westernised. I'd be open minded and at least go on dates with them. You could get along really well. Easy, well at least when compared to doing it by yourself.

As long as they are consenting and not being pressured or anything. And its basically an arranged blind date. I see no problem with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"Review my choices" lol. I hope there's a brochure.

Quick Reply

Latest