The Student Room Group

Becoming a Magistrate

Hi. Does anyone know if becoming a magistrate while still a student affects your eligibility to become a barrister in the future? Because if you are a barrister you are not necessarily eligible to become a magistrate, so does anyone know if being a magistrate first can affect your future eligibility? Thank you :smile:
Whilst I don't know the answer definitively, I would be very surprised if being a magistrate in the past in any way affected your eligibility to become a barrister. Realistically to affect your eligibility it would need to prevent you from being called to the Bar, and again I can't think of any logical basis on which it would.
Reply 2
Original post by EL77
Hi. Does anyone know if becoming a magistrate while still a student affects your eligibility to become a barrister in the future? Because if you are a barrister you are not necessarily eligible to become a magistrate, so does anyone know if being a magistrate first can affect your future eligibility? Thank you :smile:

I know of someone who was called to the Bar but then became a Justice of the Peace while she searched for pupillage.

I'm not sure how she managed this because it was my understanding that barristers could not be lay magistrates - but perhaps this just applies to those with a practising certificate, which she does not yet have.
Original post by Xanyi

I'm not sure how she managed this because it was my understanding that barristers could not be lay magistrates - but perhaps this just applies to those with a practising certificate, which she does not yet have.

You're not automatically ineligible as a barrister, it's just one of the highlighted professions that may cause difficulties.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending