The Student Room Group

Help with A level subjects?

I just got done with my O level Cambridge GCEs. I've been trying to finalise my A level subjects for the whole summer but i can't seem to. So i really need some advice. I'm interested in doing Law or Psychology related fields. The subjects I have as options in A levels are Psychology, Law, Media Studies, Sociology, Eng Lit. So the problem I have is that I don't know just how recommended taking Sciences are in A levels if I want to study Psychology further. I've had sciences in O levels and I've realised they don't interest me at all. Socio and Psy also clash so I might not be able to take both of them. I've looked at the Media Studies course and its a new subject so I dont know anyone whos taken it before so I dont know what type of a subject it is at all, the syllabus looked like it involved a lot of coursework and presentations. I also plan on giving all my exams together in A2, instead of AS level separately. So I don't want to take anything that will be a big burden.

If anyone could give me briefing on the subjects materials it would help. Btw guys I know most people would consider these subjects soft, but i don't plan on applying abroad so as far as i have heard from teachers i dont need traditional subjects.
(edited 8 years ago)
you should look on university websites and see what subjects they prefer when applying for psychology, I remember seeing that for most they liked sciences but I don't think it's necessary to have them. if there's any science you plan on taking then i recommend biology it's goes pretty well with psych. as for media studies, it's not a respected subject so it's probably not best to take it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rk1998rwp
I just got done with my O level Cambridge GCEs. I've been trying to finalise my A level subjects for the whole summer but i can't seem to. So i really need some advice. I'm interested in doing Law or Psychology related fields. The subjects I have as options in A levels are Psychology, Law, Media Studies, Sociology, Eng Lit. So the problem I have is that I don't know just how recommended taking Sciences are in A levels if I want to study Psychology further. I've had sciences in O levels and I've realised they don't interest me at all. Socio and Psy also clash so I might not be able to take both of them. I've looked at the Media Studies course and its a new subject so I dont know anyone whos taken it before so I dont know what type of a subject it is at all, the syllabus looked like it involved a lot of coursework and presentations. I also plan on giving all my exams together in A2, instead of AS level separately. So I don't want to take anything that will be a big burden.

If anyone could give me briefing on the subjects materials it would help. Btw guys I know most people would consider these subjects soft, but i don't plan on applying abroad so as far as i have heard from teachers i dont need traditional subjects.

For psychology at the very best universities, you'll need some sciences usually to be competitive. And that's the 3 sciences and maths, not applied science etc. Its for a reason, psychology is related to the sciences. There is a neurological foundation to the way we think etc. . At degree level I imagine there will be maths, in terms of statistics, and if you don't enjoy sciences you may not enjoy a Psychology degree.So yeah, they're important. Other institutions are more lenient, but would still want to see very respected Languages or humanity subjects, like History, English Literature and Geography.

I don't think doing your A Level exams all at once is a best idea. If you have the choice to do them separately, half in year 1 half in year 2 then do it. A levels are hard. You don't want to make mistakes which could affect the quality of university you end up in.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say ' applying abroad'. But for UK universities traditional subjects are appreciated, and I'd strongly recommend you consider them, especially for courses as competetive as Law.

I hope this helps.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey sorry i didnt clarify. I don't live in UK, i'm in South Asia. Geography isnt offered here at AS level, there's World History. Its not that i dislike maths or sciences, its just that they arent my strong suits. I know i wont be able to acheive high grades in them if i take them up in A levels. Also yes i might reconsider giving all the exams together, but i can only decide that once i have my final subjects figured out.

Quick Reply

Latest