The Student Room Group

Restricted Childhood?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reue
Perhaps it's my old age, but it doesnt seem *that* bad. I mean that's potentially over 2 hours of TV a day. I don't watch that much now! And how old is the child?

Plus 0 on an assignment? How do you get a 0? I thought they gave you marks just for writing your name correctly at the top.

It's the exact times (for everything, not just TV) that bothers me more.

Fair enough saying "only x hours of y a day", or even "do your homework, then you can [whatever], but "you can only use xyz between these exact times" is just ridiculous and overly restrictive.

A 0 on an exam probably is punishment worthy actually because they clearly haven't tried (even if they fail they'll usually pick up some marks). With exams I was talking more about losing a door for a C or D, which is very unreasonable.
WTF.

That can only unnecessarily exacerbate what will already be a stressful time in her life (childhood). Poor girl.
Reply 22
Original post by RFowler
It's the exact times (for everything, not just TV) that bothers me more.

Many workplaces have exact times for things. Commuters have painfully exact times for things. School lessons run on exact times. Why is that a particularly bad thing?

Original post by RFowler
With exams I was talking more about losing a door for a C or D, which is very unreasonable.

But that's not been mentioned here at all :s-smilie:
Original post by Reue
Many workplaces have exact times for things. Commuters have painfully exact times for things. School lessons run on exact times. Why is that a particularly bad thing?

But that's not been mentioned here at all :s-smilie:

1. Exact times for school and work are one thing, but having it for time at home (including spare/non homework time) is crazy. Plus, children are not adults.

2. The picture in the OP shows exactly that. For C, D and F it says "lose door".
Reply 24
Original post by RFowler
1. Exact times for school and work are one thing, but having it for time at home (including spare/non homework time) is crazy. Plus, children are not adults.

I've seen and read alot of pieces which have expressed to benefits of maintaining a structured home life for children. Obviously this example may be more to the extreme side but I'd say it's certainly not terrible parenting as the OP claims.

Original post by RFowler
2. The picture in the OP shows exactly that. For C, D and F it says "lose door".

Sorry, I read that as "Get a C if you've already lost the door and it's -5 mins on electronics". Otherwise the kid may as well just get a 0 instead of a C-F :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest