The Student Room Group

Did I make the right choice studying psychology???

Mature student initially wanted to study BSc Social work but couldnt get in cz I failed maths but my university has offered me Bsc Psychology with counseling theory, is this a good course?? anyone else studying it ??maths is not my strongest point will I survive??
(edited 8 years ago)
Personally, I wouldn't embark upon a degree that I wasn't informed about. It's 3 years of intense study, you need to find out the content of the degree before you decide whether to accept the offer. Check out the uni website for the degree and look at the module content. I'd also be concerned about the job prospects - so check unistats and Google it. Also, this thread is in the 'chat' forum so you're not going to get a lot of specific replies from Psychology students which would be better to inform you about the degree as a whole and the Maths content. So I'd advise you to ask a mod to move this to the correct forum which is here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=284

It's actually the Maths,Science and Technology University Courses forum - so that tells you immediately what category Psychology falls into.

General advice: don't rush such a major decision, get all the info you can and weigh up your options.
Reeks Mickey Mouse bro :frown:
Statistics takes up 30-50% of the course. If you can't deal with maths then stay away.
Original post by Maikikie12
Mature student initially wanted to study BSc Social work but couldnt get in cz I failed maths but my university has offered me Bsc Psychology with counseling theory, is this a good course?? anyone else studying it ??maths is not my strongest point will I survive??

Moved your thread to the psychology university course forum. Hopefully you should get more replies here. :smile:

In future, do check to make you're posting in the right place. :yep: Have a look at this before posting in Chat: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2083320
(edited 8 years ago)
The answer lies in your subconscious ...
Original post by Maikikie12

I've just graduated from psych at Cardiff Uni so can tell you a bit about it (though not the counselling theory bit). It DOES involve maths, and this bit scares everyone, but it's by far a minority element of the course. Plus the exams on it are always at least partially multiple choice so that gives you a bit of a boost in terms of grades. My uni offered maths drop-in sessions, so there may be something like that to help you. My advice would be: if you're interested enough in psych then you'll be able to work through the stats, even if you don't like it at all...but if it's not psych you really want to do then the stats/maths may not be worth it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest