The Student Room Group

Oxford pat maths question

i do edexcel and im going into alevels. i want to study physics at oxford and so my question is on the maths part of the pat. i Will be doing mechanics in school and so ill study c1 c2 and m1 in the first year so when i apply next year ill only know these modules and in my second year i will study c3 c4 m2. I have talked to my prinicipal about doing fp1 and fp2 (would this be too killer?)

Also, if i take pure maths in my school id do c1-c3 in my first year which ive heard is better perperation for the pat but oxford reccomends mechanics
Reply 1
I've just done AS levels, and I'm going to apply for Physics at Oxford.

There doesn't seem to be much of FP1 in the PAT, apart from the series topic. However, it's probably best to do further maths anyway, as the university's website says it's "helpful" (which usually means "necessary" for a strong application). If you do further maths, make sure you take mechanics as the optional unit(s). There are also some probability questions in the PAT, but they're GCSE level so don't feel like you have to take a statistics unit.

C1-3 are all in the PAT, along with some mechanics modules. Don't forget that you'll have over a month after AS exams to learn C3 if you don't do it this year. :smile:
Original post by ombtom

There doesn't seem to be much of FP1 in the PAT, apart from the series topic. However, it's probably best to do further maths anyway, as the university's website says it's "helpful" (which usually means "necessary" for a strong application). If you do further maths, make sure you take mechanics as the optional unit(s). There are also some probability questions in the PAT, but they're GCSE level so don't feel like you have to take a statistics unit.

C1-3 are all in the PAT, along with some mechanics modules. Don't forget that you'll have over a month after AS exams to learn C3 if you don't do it this year. :smile:

THANK YOU SO MUCH
this was such a clear answer.
So i assume a month should be enough to take care of c3 ?
I was actually going to do d1 s1 and fp1 instead of doing fp1 and fp2 because fp2 seems quite difficult and i would still get an AS further maths qualification? would this be a viable option as well? please get back to me asap because i need to talk this over with my prinicpal
Original post by ombtom

also would doing m1 and m2 be a good preparation for the mechanics modules?
Reply 4
Original post by NatoHeadshot
THANK YOU SO MUCH
this was such a clear answer.
So i assume a month should be enough to take care of c3 ?
I was actually going to do d1 s1 and fp1 instead of doing fp1 and fp2 because fp2 seems quite difficult and i would still get an AS further maths qualification? would this be a viable option as well? please get back to me asap because i need to talk this over with my prinicpal

If you work hard, you'll get through the C3 content in a month, but you'll have to spend more than a month practising (but I imagine most people will be in the same situation, myself included).

To get AS level further maths you have to do FP1, and then 2 optional units (M/S/D). Here's a nice table explaining the course structures:

maths course structure a level.png

Basically I'd say do AS maths (C1, C2, M1) and AS further maths (FP1, M2, and another random one maybe S1 or even M3) this year, if you can.

M1 and M2 would be good. M1-3 all overlap with the physics course a lot; they make the mechanics in physics seem very easy.

I'm giving you advice that would have helped me a year ago; I didn't do further maths and now I feel like my application won't be as strong. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ombtom
If you work hard, you'll get through the C3 content in a month, but you'll have to spend more than a month practising (but I imagine most people will be in the same situation, myself included).

To get AS level further maths you have to do FP1, and then 2 optional units (M/S/D). Here's a nice table explaining the course structures:

maths course structure a level.png

Basically I'd say do AS maths (C1, C2, M1) and AS further maths (FP1, M2, and another random one maybe S1 or even M3) this year, if you can.

M1 and M2 would be good. M1-3 all overlap with the physics course a lot; they make the mechanics in physics seem very easy.

I'm giving you advice that would have helped me a year ago; I didn't do further maths and now I feel like my application won't be as strong. :smile:

i can do c1 c2 m1 but my school will not do m2 for sure cause its supposed to be done in the second year with c3 and c4
im going to talk to my teacher about doing fp1. do i need c3 and c4 to do fp1 though?
Reply 6
Original post by NatoHeadshot
i can do c1 c2 m1 but my school will not do m2 for sure cause its supposed to be done in the second year with c3 and c4
im going to talk to my teacher about doing fp1. do i need c3 and c4 to do fp1 though?

No, you certainly don't need C3 or C4 to do FP1.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending