The Student Room Group

Leaving a laptop unused

I've just bought a smaller/lighter/better laptop for uni... but my current laptop still works pretty well and I'd like to keep it for the future.

If I drain the battery and leave it unused for (e.g.) 8 months will it still function normally when I next turn it back on?

Thanks
Original post by adam132
I've just bought a smaller/lighter/better laptop for uni... but my current laptop still works pretty well and I'd like to keep it for the future.

If I drain the battery and leave it unused for (e.g.) 8 months will it still function normally when I next turn it back on?

Thanks

Maybe or maybe not.........it will certainly cause damage to the battery cells. I would suggest if someone at home could potentially use or turn it on every few weeks or so and check the battery to charge, etc
Original post by Iqbal007
Maybe or maybe not.........it will certainly cause damage to the battery cells. I would suggest if someone at home could potentially use or turn it on every few weeks or so and check the battery to charge, etc

Ah okay, d'you mean have them charge it fully every now and again and use it a bit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by adam132

Thanks

Just take the battery out of the laptop after you drained it and put aside, I wouldn't see any major problems occurring from this. I've got a netbook lying around somewhere which I haven't turned on for nearly two years

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by adam132

Thanks

Store it in a cool and dry place at 40% charge and it will be fine.

Do NOT drain the battery for storage. Stored batteries will lose energy over time but at a slower rate and if your battery discharges below a certain level it will destroy it. The 0% battery level is not actually zero energy in the battery, you may think that the battery is drained completely but it actually isn't. This system is in place so it doesn't destroy the battery.

40% charge level is the best way to store it. The laptops sold in shops are charged to about 40% and then packaged.
Original post by Bealzibub

Do NOT drain the battery for storage. Stored batteries will lose energy over time but at a slower rate and if your battery discharges below a certain level it will destroy it. The 0% battery level is not actually zero energy in the battery, you may think that the battery is drained completely but it actually isn't. This system is in place so it doesn't destroy the battery.

40% charge level is the best way to store it. The laptops sold in shops are charged to about 40% and then packaged.

So 40% and take the battery out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by adam132
So 40% and take the battery out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep

Why not 100%? (just out of interest) - surely less chance of the battery completely draining??
Original post by Nice.Guy
Why not 100%? (just out of interest) - surely less chance of the battery completely draining??

@adam132 - this post might should be helpful to you too.

Heat and high charge voltage put stress on the battery. When a bettery is exposed to heat it puts stress on the battery and dwelling in a full state-of-charge (high voltage) also puts stress on the battery. Hence a full charge deteriorates battery faster than a battery at 40% due to higher peak charge voltage.

This is a good table for OP:

So lets say you have a brand new battery which has 100% battery capacity. If you charged it to 40% and you left it at 25 C for a full year, you would still have an estimated 96% capacity left after a year compared to only 80% if fully charged and left for a year. (refer to table)
(edited 8 years ago)
@adam132 - this post might should be helpful to you too.

Heat and high charge voltage put stress on the battery. When a bettery is exposed to heat it puts stress on the battery and dwelling in a full state-of-charge (high voltage) also puts stress on the battery. Hence a full charge deteriorates battery faster than a battery at 40% due to higher peak charge voltage.

This is a good table for OP:

So lets say you have a brand new battery which has 100% battery capacity. If you charged it to 40% and you left it at 25 C for a full year, you would still have an estimated 96% capacity left after a year compared to only 80% if fully charged and left for a year. (refer to table)

This is great, thanks
would recommend to leave at least 50% of the battery before turn it off and leave it for months

occasionally turn it back on for a few hours and recharge would work well for the battery

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending