The Student Room Group

New course and tutor was quite rude, advice please?

Hi there,

I started my course a little late because of accomodation falling through, but im doing a post grad training course in Journalism at a college and started this week.Everyone else has already had a week of teaching behind them, meaning some classes (its an intense fast track course) I've had to do a lot of catching up in. This would be okay, if I also didn't suffer from a long term health issue.

The other day I had to attend my class on strong painkillers, which i made the decision to do to avoid being absent. I thought like my time at Uni, i could sit at the back quietly and try to take as many notes as I could, and go over these when I'd recover, however the teacher was extremely pressuring.

I explained several times I was unwell, but she continued to drill at me for doing things wrong, making comments like "I write like a school girl."

She then stated that there was a clear divide of abilities in the class, which is true because i am behind, and then said, "like you, who is acting like a silly little girl, and you won't be successful in your career if you continue"

I explained to her, infront of the class I was on strong painkillers, which she ignored. This was embarrasing enough, but then she gave us all constructive critism on our work. Most pupils recieved things like "read this chapter or go over this." But she told me again, "you need to improve by not acting like a little school girl."

I complained to the head of my course as I was upset about these comments, being on medication is something i cannot control and felt I was doing my best to attend and take notes. However, I now feel uncomfortable to even attend her class and feel angry at the situation altogether.

I am dreading having to return on monday and am concerned how she may act again towards me.
How is the best way to approach this?
Original post by mcgreevy1993
Hi there,

I started my course a little late because of accomodation falling through, but im doing a post grad training course in Journalism at a college and started this week.Everyone else has already had a week of teaching behind them, meaning some classes (its an intense fast track course) I've had to do a lot of catching up in. This would be okay, if I also didn't suffer from a long term health issue.

The other day I had to attend my class on strong painkillers, which i made the decision to do to avoid being absent. I thought like my time at Uni, i could sit at the back quietly and try to take as many notes as I could, and go over these when I'd recover, however the teacher was extremely pressuring.

I explained several times I was unwell, but she continued to drill at me for doing things wrong, making comments like "I write like a school girl."

She then stated that there was a clear divide of abilities in the class, which is true because i am behind, and then said, "like you, who is acting like a silly little girl, and you won't be successful in your career if you continue"

I explained to her, infront of the class I was on strong painkillers, which she ignored. This was embarrasing enough, but then she gave us all constructive critism on our work. Most pupils recieved things like "read this chapter or go over this." But she told me again, "you need to improve by not acting like a little school girl."

I complained to the head of my course as I was upset about these comments, being on medication is something i cannot control and felt I was doing my best to attend and take notes. However, I now feel uncomfortable to even attend her class and feel angry at the situation altogether.

I am dreading having to return on monday and am concerned how she may act again towards me.
How is the best way to approach this?

Just act really nice to her, she is probably looking for reaction from you :biggrin: and try and catch up, so she has nothing to moan about.
Keep attending as passing your course is more important than their negative opinion of you, and chase up your head of course and ask if there is something that can be done to improve way your lecturer speaks to you. Maybe request to schedule a meeting where you can all meet to discuss what is going on. I know somebody who did Journalism as an undergraduate and experienced similar things with her lecturer, so know that your not alone with this kind of situation! Best of luck :smile:
If you've complained she probably wont say anything again, even if they think you're overreacting they wont want any additional fuss/work. If she does say anything call her out, not rudely, but state explicitly that she is being rude and offensive, you are doing your best and would appreciate constructive feedback to enable you to catch up. If she continues leave the lecture and go straight to the head of department stating you have now missed work as a result of her behaviour.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending