The Student Room Group

Am I asexual?

Hi,

So I am 18 years old, female and about to go to uni. I've never really been sexually attracted to a person (I've had moments but they've been so brief and wavering, and each time it has been so slight that it's not even worth mentioning). I am able to get aroused at the idea of a male touching me sexually when masturbating, but the idea of it seems to be more appealing than it actually happening, if that makes sense? I've never had a boyfriend or been with a dude, but I think that's because I've never felt this way towards anyone (plus, I'm not exactly very attractive or entirely approachable in the eyes of the opposite sex, but this is just my opinion).

I am able to see people as physically attractive though, and I like the idea of holding hands or hugging the guys I find fit rather than anything else (if that). I want to be able to experience sexual attraction and it frustrates me that I can't. I'm also quite picky on who I think is attractive which also irritates me -- how do I change this mindset?

So... Am I asexual or have I just not met the right person?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What you're saying makes no sense. You can't have an opinion of something unless you have tried it first. Plus you can't afford to be picky if you aren't that attractive as you say.

Try it then come back.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

So I am 18 years old, female and about to go to uni. I've never really been sexually attracted to a person (I've had moments but they've been so brief and wavering, and each time it has been so slight that it's not even worth mentioning). I am able to get aroused at the idea of a male touching me sexually when masturbating, but the idea of it seems to be more appealing than it actually happening, if that makes sense? I've never had a boyfriend or been with a dude, but I think that's because I've never felt this way towards anyone (plus, I'm not exactly very attractive or entirely approachable in the eyes of the opposite sex, but this is just my opinion).

I am able to see people as physically attractive though, and I like the idea of holding hands or hugging the guys I find fit rather than anything else (if that). I want to be able to experience sexual attraction and it frustrates me that I can't. I'm also quite picky on who I think is attractive which also irritates me -- how do I change this mindset?

i can relate to this, so i don't think it's weird or abnormal
but there's no hurry/need to try and label yourself
jus go with the flow
Original post by Jebedee
What you're saying makes no sense. You can't have an opinion of something unless you have tried it first. Plus you can't afford to be picky if you aren't that attractive as you say.

Try it then come back.

dumb answer. its like saying you cant say you're straight until you've had gay sex to prove you dont like it.
Hi,

You probably aren't very sexual as a person but it sounds like who do have some attractions. How about girls, ever thought about being with them? I wouldn't worry about it. During uni I'd think you'll meet someone you're attracted to. If you don't then I'd think you're asexual. Still nothing to worry about.
Reply 5
Original post by sqwertylol
dumb answer. its like saying you cant say you're straight until you've had gay sex to prove you dont like it.

Except she admitted the thought of it was appealing. So your analogy is irrelevant.
Original post by Jebedee
Except she admitted the thought of it was appealing. So your analogy is irrelevant.

You said: "You can't have an opinion of something unless you have tried it first."

My analogy still stands against what you said. irrespective of what she said.
Reply 7

That's what I thought when I read that comment :biggrin:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Hi,

Babe spend a night with me and I'll prove you wrong. Trust me I'm an engineer,
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by PurpleSquid
i can relate to this, so i don't think it's weird or abnormal
but there's no hurry/need to try and label yourself
jus go with the flow

Thanks for this! :smile:
funny how some are so quick to diagnose themselves with nonsense.
You probably aren't very sexual as a person but it sounds like who do have some attractions. How about girls, ever thought about being with them? I wouldn't worry about it. During uni I'd think you'll meet someone you're attracted to. If you don't then I'd think you're asexual. Still nothing to worry about.

Yeah, I have thought about girls but I've never desired any girl sexually and any physical attraction has always been directed at males. Hopefully I will! :h:

Thanks
Original post by thecatwithnohat
funny how some are so quick to diagnose themselves with nonsense.

Please elaborate. You don't think asexuality exists??? LOL.
You don't need to label yourself just yet - you still have a hell of a lot of time to make up your mind! Maybe you haven't met the right person (I think it's probably that), but it may be that you are asexual. The main thing is that you're just about to go to uni so you'll probably have more opportunity to explore your sexuality with a wider range of people! I know it's easy to say but just be yourself and you'll get a feel for it.
Original post by Jebedee

Yeah, I find it appealing... In my head. Doesn't mean I would actually go ahead and enjoy it if I actually did it. It feels as if I wouldn't and I know that won't necessarily make sense but when I think of "males" it's never a particular person, just the idea of a male figure. I don't enjoy it in my head if I think of a male I know or someone who "exists."
Original post by meghan.ginger
You don't need to label yourself just yet - you still have a hell of a lot of time to make up your mind! Maybe you haven't met the right person (I think it's probably that), but it may be that you are asexual. The main thing is that you're just about to go to uni so you'll probably have more opportunity to explore your sexuality with a wider range of people! I know it's easy to say but just be yourself and you'll get a feel for it.

Thank you! Maybe you're right :smile: I will definitely try to find out though
You said: "You can't have an opinion of something unless you have tried it first."

My analogy still stands against what you said. irrespective of what she said.

She fantasises about men, she is clearly straight so equating that to a gay experience is completely different.
Original post by Jebedee
She fantasises about men, she is clearly straight so equating that to a gay experience is completely different.

its an analogy u muppet
Reply 18
Don't have much to say, tbh it's your sexuality and I'm sure you'll figure it out in time, but here's a webpage you might find useful. Ignore the people who are calling your sexuality nonsense.
its an analogy u muppet

Yeah, an irrelevant one because those situations are completely different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending