The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Lúcio
It's happening eventually whether we like it or not; it's just a question of how long we can keep him for/how long before Iniesta retires. I know the bitter fans (mainly Arsenal ones) are saying he's nowhere near good enough for Barca but i'm confident that we know better than they do about this kid...
Any quality manager knows Sakho is potentially world class. The next guy will utilise him majorly in a strong Cb pairing after he buys us a new defender to replace Skrtel (please).

Very silly; you saw a similar thing with Pardew - had a great run with Newcastle, signed a MEGA deal and then it cost the club when they wanted rid of him. Owners should know nowadays how easily things can change. If you don't believe me just look at Chelsea - champions last season and look at them now. Same manager...
Anyway, the fact that it's a huge fee to pay means that surely they have somebody big coming in.
What's the point sacking Rodgers, paying out £10m+ and getting somebody like Monk or Big Sam in? It's just not worth losing the money imo.

Absolutely no worry of Klopp not having a great press relationship.
The press in general are obsessed with us anyway; we're barely above the level of Spurs yet they're featured nowhere near as often as us. Like you said, it's the charisma that he has that is appealing to the media and the fans; that's partly why both are calling for him to come to Anfield.
He'd bring the passion and that's massive. When was the last time one of our managers dressed himself head to toe in Liverpool gear rather than a suit and tie?

I'm not really gonna talk too much about style of play. Yes i think our pressing is good and i agree that it would work nicely with many of our players. We scored so many goals in 13/14 as a result of our players (mainly Suarez) pressing and making opposing defenders absolutely brick it and make a mistake.
However our next manager will have his own vision, his own system and his own style of play. I'm happy to wait and see how he goes about it.

On a sidenote, would you be "content" to write this season off considering we've had a managerial change? I use the world loosely of course. Personally i don't wish to get my hopes up for a good season because the guy coming in barely has any time to get used to the team and will have had so little mental and managerial preparation.
If it's Klopp, not only will he need to adapt to our players, but he'll need to adapt to English football (not to mention relocating somewhere unknown too). It's a big ask for a top 4 finish imo.

Coutinho won't go to a big club until he starts scoring more or is assisting a ridiculous number of goals. I think we're safe for a couple of seasons.

I guess the problem is that if you don't give them a new deal then it's cheap for another club to sign them up? Rodgers was obviously bargaining from a position of strength at that point. I'm pretty sure Ashley put in a break clause for Pardew so it wasn't that expensive to sack him.

Yea he'll look like Mario :colondollar: Will be weird not seeing Klopp in yellow though.

Well I don't think Rodgers has been using a pressing team for the past year and a bit.

All I want to see from a manager (even Rodgers) was steady progress - that there was a beautiful master plan and we are working towards something bigger. We went backwards under Rodgers for sometime which is why I think he got sacked.

Of course Klopp will have to be given a grace period. We might have a bounce first when the fans and players are hyped about the new appointment but inevitably the weaknesses in our squad will show through while Klopp exerts his influence slowly.

I think you just take it a few games at a time. A push for 4th/cup run would be nice though.
Original post by Lúcio
Do we really have that much deadwood bar Lovren though?

I regard deadwood as anyone that doesn't fit in with Klopp's vision and outline for the club to be honest. A good player who cannot fit his system and philosophy isn't worth the effort. Dortmund didn't have amazing players of the world class calibre in every position but they worked well in his 4-2-3-1 system and contributed to an overall well organised team.
Reply 782
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34448282

Liverpool have made contact with representatives of Jurgen Klopp as the Anfield club look to replace sacked manager Brendan Rodgers.

The ex-Borussia Dortmund manager is favourite to take over from the Northern Irishman, with ex-Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti a strong contender.

Klopp is understood to be open to the idea of a move to Anfield, having sounded out former Liverpool midfielder Didi Hamman about the club, the city and the fans.

The club's owners intend to have a new manager in place for the Premier League trip to Tottenham on 17 October.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zerforax
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34448282

Liverpool have made contact with representatives of Jurgen Klopp as the Anfield club look to replace sacked manager Brendan Rodgers.

The ex-Borussia Dortmund manager is favourite to take over from the Northern Irishman, with ex-Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti a strong contender.

Klopp is understood to be open to the idea of a move to Anfield, having sounded out former Liverpool midfielder Didi Hamman about the club, the city and the fans.

The club's owners intend to have a new manager in place for the Premier League trip to Tottenham on 17 October.

I like this piece of news :biggrin:
Original post by welshieee
I regard deadwood as anyone that doesn't fit in with Klopp's vision and outline for the club to be honest. A good player who cannot fit his system and philosophy isn't worth the effort. Dortmund didn't have amazing players of the world class calibre in every position but they worked well in his 4-2-3-1 system and contributed to an overall well organised team.

Well you cannot possibly know which players those are yet. We don't know how Klopp would utilise our current players (if he came to Liverpool), and as a result it's unfair to outright say that anybody other than the obvious Lovren is deadwood.
Big first game in charge whoever takes over. Pivotal in getting the fans on his side. Or her, not sexist:biggrin:
Original post by Rk2k14
Big first game in charge whoever takes over. Pivotal in getting the fans on his side. Or her, not sexist:biggrin:

Him, not sexist.

Honestly I wouldn't expect much and it would be unfair to.
Original post by Lúcio
Him, not sexist.

Honestly I wouldn't expect much and it would be unfair to.

Of course, but especially with some fans they're already starting the out banners.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
I know, I just said that?

You only mentioned Gundogan. It was a lot worse than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
You only mentioned Gundogan. It was a lot worse than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I mentioned Reus and Gundogan, the two main losses. And then I said 'any manager would struggle' which you paraphrased into your reply too lol. ??
When they had no fit back 4 at one point. :frown:
Reply 791
Original post by Rk2k14

I think if Klopp joins then most fans will be appeased by the big name and easily give him at least half a season with the excuse of "he just needs to bed in" and "they're not his players" etc

To be honest this will be the first big name appointment since Rafa joined in 2004.
I think if Klopp joins then most fans will be appeased by the big name and easily give him at least half a season with the excuse of "he just needs to bed in" and "they're not his players" etc

To be honest this will be the first big name appointment since Rafa joined in 2004.

Yh, like last season when LvG joined, the United fans gave excuses and had his back. Expect Liverpool fans to do the same.
Managerial announcement by the end of the week according to Pearce and Smith - very likely to be Klopp.
Reply 794
Ben Smith
I'm told negotiations between #LFC and Jurgen Klopp are progressing well. Appointment could come before end of week

https://twitter.com/BenSmithBBC/status/651108912335323136

Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Chelsea were hardly a powerhouse when they brought him in.

Chelsea had just got to the CL semi final and really should have been in two CL finals in 2 years and been in the CL semi final minimum 3 years in a row. Chelsea may have come 3rd in the PL that year but they still won the FA cup and were outdone by two fantastic teams that would probably win the premier league today with ease.

They were clearly a powerhouse, in fact I'd argue that they clearly declined under Ancelotti even if his first season was fantastic.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 796
I'm sure it's all minor formalities and then setting up the press conference and someone from FSG wanting to be present for the announcement etc.

Mike Gordon is FSG's second largest shareholder after John W Henry with about 12%.

Did not know that.. always thought Werner was the 2nd biggest.
Original post by mr tim
Managerial announcement by the end of the week according to Pearce and Smith - very likely to be Klopp.

Very exciting!!! :party:
I'm really glad FSG are acting quickly and decisively.

Spoiler

I'm sure it's all minor formalities and then setting up the press conference and someone from FSG wanting to be present for the announcement etc.

Mike Gordon is FSG's second largest shareholder after John W Henry with about 12%.

Did not know that.. always thought Werner was the 2nd biggest.

Seems nobody from FSG will come to UK and will do everything in USA.

Klopp also spoken to Didi about the club, city and fans.
Reply 799
Original post by mr tim
Seems nobody from FSG will come to UK and will do everything in USA.

Klopp also spoken to Didi about the club, city and fans.

Fair enough.. I'm sure they will cover over for a game in the next month or two.

Well I'm sure Didi wouldve said great things about the club. I do wonder if the fans at Anfield will be louder with Klopp now? Has seemed quite for a while whereas I think the Dortmund fans are epic.

Latest