The Student Room Group

Corbyn voted new labour leader.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alfissti
Perfectly happy those lefties voted in an unwinnable candidate.

Last thing UK needs at No.10 is a London Met dropout dinosaur from the past.

I've been sleeping soundly knowing that in 2020 it will be George Osborne as PM :smile:

What year would you like to end the union?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The loss of 15% of English Labour voters would be fairly dire in practise, especially if distributed more in the marginal seats.

On the Trot thing, I think Corbyn is less of an obvious Trot than some - he's pretty solidly of the Old Hard Left tendancy within Labour, widely known at the time as Bennite. I assume you would agree that Tony Benn wasn't an entryist Trot? There really isn't much between Corbyn and Benn.

The issue is about how broad Labour is. From a left perspective, the entryists are the neoliberals like Blair and his supporters. From a right one, they are the Bennites.

In reality, a good Labour leader has to somehow juggle these and maintain a common front for getting some good things done. Blair in my opinion went too far to the right, whereas I don't doubt that Corbyn is too far to the left to not lose some valuable people and alienate some voters.

However, in the meantime, it probably is a good thing for Labour to have an unusually left wing leader. At minimum, it will help the party go through one of its periodic struggles to define what it is in a new age. Corbyn's old fashioned union rhetoric isn't on the face of it much help, but it will apply pressure to the moderate and centre left to come up with new and plausible policies.

I am fairly sure myself that Jezza will be dumped before the next election, probably in a couple of years - in the meantime, a lot of controversy will be regularly stirred up on all kinds of issues and there will be real debates in the country, not the facile, phony disputations of the Crony Period, when all of the top New Labour and New Conservative politicians basically agreed with each other.

Yeah but I was still expecting a drop of around 30% to be honest.

Oh yeah he's no Diane Abbott (or even McDonell)

Thing is back in Tony Benn's day trots were welcome, until it became obvious they were preventing the Labour Party ever getting into power...

I disagree - the Tories will run riot now they don't have a credible opposition. He's just to easy to smear.

II don't think he'll be dumped, I think he'll step down for Nandy, who of anything is further to the left than he is...
Original post by Midlander
I felt unwelcome in a national party that voted for austerity and a regional party that screwed over a city's sports teams out of spite and brought shame on the city in the Pelka case. I saw Labour stand with the Tories in the referendum which we very nearly lost. With all this and a leader slating the unions I felt Labour no longer stood for me so I resigned my membership.

The above approach has lost us all but 1 MP in Scotland to a party that took the positions we should have taken. So when 1 leadership candidate at last takes a proper stance against the Tories and excites people all over Britain, I see someone who might be able to change that. The battle for the centre ground has failed. Give left of centre politics a proper chance, and if it fails it fails, but at least we will have more pride about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well why didn't you join the greens/SNP then???

This isn't about policies, this is about personal attacks and being shouted down.
Original post by redferry
Well why didn't you join the greens/SNP then???

This isn't about policies, this is about personal attacks and being shouted down.

I am not a Scottish nationalist funnily enough. Though the loss of 40 MPs to them doesn't seem to concern you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am not a Scottish nationalist funnily enough. Though the loss of 40 MPs to them doesn't seem to concern you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stop deflecting.
40 seats<<<<middle england
Original post by Alfissti
Perfectly happy those lefties voted in an unwinnable candidate.

Last thing UK needs at No.10 is a London Met dropout dinosaur from the past.

I've been sleeping soundly knowing that in 2020 it will be George Osborne as PM :smile:

This guy has a different type of intelligence :wink:
Original post by Gears265
In opposition you do not have access to the security secrets and therefore Tories had only what Labour fed them and worked from there. Expecting them to be psychic and read the minds of Labour is childish and plain stupid. You fail to address the point of why Labour voters still voted for Blair in 2005. They clearly supported the mass invasion and the war crimes. Labour voters worshipped the ground Blair walked on, it is actually quite sickening. Blair and his cabinet all worked in a close circle so the Labour Party as a whole was corrupt yet you people still supported them, strange?

I'm sure most Labour MP's didn't have access to security secrets either... Only people who would likely have had access are the Cabinet - infact I'd be surprised if every member of Cabinet did, most likely a select few.

If the Tory's are innocent somehow for voting on the iraq war, how come that doesn't extend to the public who voted Labour? Why is it just those who support Labour and not the Tory's? Funnily enough members of the public who support labour don't have access to security secrets either.

To say the Labour party as a whole is corrupt because a select few (the Cabinet) worked closely is ridiculous. Even if some members did disagree with the actions taken, they can hardly speak out due to the fact they have collective responsibility. The Labour party now is very different to 2005...
For the older generation of TSRians there are some things one always remembers: where you watched Neil Armstrong walking on the moon; where you were when you heard John Lennon had been shot; how you found out about the toppling of the twin towers; who told you John Major had had an affair with Edwina Currie.

Now hot off the press:-

Jeremy 4 Diane

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4559169.ece
Reply 369
Original post by nulli tertius
For the older generation of TSRians there are some things one always remembers: where you watched Neil Armstrong walking on the moon; where you were when you heard John Lennon had been shot; how you found out about the toppling of the twin towers; who told you John Major had had an affair with Edwina Currie.

Jeremy 4 Diane

I'd heard rumours but I didn't think it could be true.

I'd like to say I threw up a little in my mouth, but the truth is I can't because my mouth is bunged up with a gasoline-soaked rag. I'm going to try and burn the thought out of my brain.

Posted from the TSR app - no updates since 2013!
Stop deflecting.

Deflecting what?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by banterboy
40 seats<<<<middle england

Couldn't win either in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jeremy 4 Diane

I think it's quite cute. Not a fan of diane abbott like, but its sweet theyre still friends, and I don't think who comes dates is a reflection on their character (at least I hope not else I'm a terrible person :tongue:)

Jeremy 4 Diane

Better than Yvette sucking the balls of Balls.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BurstingBubbles
This.

The UK clearly didn't want Miliband's more left views, never mind Corbyn.

Ok, so you get Liz Kendell as PM. She gets in by taking working tax credits from low earning workers. How is that goign to stop 2008 2.0? What was the point?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Ok, so you get Liz Kendell as PM. She gets in by taking working tax credits from low earning workers. How is that goign to stop 2008 2.0? What was the point?

She doesn't support cutting working tax credits so you my friend are talking balls.
She doesn't support cutting working tax credits so you my friend are talking balls.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but here she is on July 15 supporting the Harman position to accept government cuts to tax credits.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/13/liz-kendall-backs-harriet-harman-in-labour-welfare-row
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but here she is on July 15 supporting the Harman position to accept government cuts to tax credits.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/13/liz-kendall-backs-harriet-harman-in-labour-welfare-row

What is wrong with you people that you can't understand that not wanting to be seen as opposing something that has majority public support is not the same as having it as a personal policy you would push through if you were leader?!

Do you have any understanding of how politics works?
What is wrong with you people that you can't understand that not wanting to be seen as opposing something that has majority public support is not the same as having it as a personal policy you would push through if you were leader?!

Do you have any understanding of how politics works?

The public's knowledge of the facts on welfare differs greatly from the reality as countless polls show. This goes for immigration as well while we're at it, and 'Red' Ed another misconception successfully achieved by the nation's media.

But it's alright because Labour might win in Watford if they go along with this consensus, but they probably won't because the full fat Tories offer a more wholehearted condemnation of the welfare state.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The public's knowledge of the facts on welfare differs greatly from the reality as countless polls show. This goes for immigration as well while we're at it, and 'Red' Ed another misconception successfully achieved by the nation's media.

But it's alright because Labour might win in Watford if they go along with this consensus, but they probably won't because the full fat Tories offer a more wholehearted condemnation of the welfare state.

Posted from TSR Mobile

None of this means that Liz Kendall as leader would have cut working tax credits.

It's public opinion that wins votes, not reality unfortunateley.

More useful to win Watford than inner city seats that are firm labour really isn't it.

I sat in a meeting full of top scientific policymakers yesterday and they all laughed at Jeremy Corbyn. It's just embarrassing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending